Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)
At what age

amother
OP

Post Sun, Nov 13 2022, 7:33 pm
Did you know or first see signs of ADHD? Both my husband and I work with kids and teens with ADHD and see many of the signs in our dd. We didn't think much of it because we were under the impression that she is an angel in school and we know that real ADHD is across all environments. Well this week I got the call Ive been dreading that she demonstrates "impulsive" behaviors in school and her morah wanted to know if we see that as well. Her morah described my daughter's when personality spot on- mostly focusing on the good- which I was really impressed with, but also made me realize she really sees what we see at home also. Is 4 too young to already see the impulsive behaviors and lack of focus? I am just trying to figure out how much I should be stressing pver this because this is my oldest and it's hard to know what's normal and what needs intervention.

amother
Diamond

Post Sun, Nov 13 2022, 7:38 pm
I’m having similar with my 4 year old. Depending on where you live (in some places it’s easier than others) it may just be best to get intervention now when she’s young. Then by the time she’s older she may not even need any help anymore. That’s my personal take

amother
OP

Post Sun, Nov 13 2022, 7:57 pm
That's why I am asking because I also believe in just nipping it in the bud as early as possible. I'm just wondering if I'm being overdramatic given mine and my husband's jobs...

mha3484

Post Sun, Nov 13 2022, 8:00 pm
Not too early. My son showed some red flags in 2 and 3 year old playgroup. Winter birthday so he was 3 and 4 years old. When he got to Nursery in the school (4 turning 5) we got a diagnosis. He was pretty severe. Hes in 6th grade and kah doing really well.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Nov 13 2022, 8:03 pm
mha3484 wrote:
Not too early. My son showed some red flags in 2 and 3 year old playgroup. Winter birthday so he was 3 and 4 years old. When he got to Nursery in the school (4 turning 5) we got a diagnosis. He was pretty severe. Hes in 6th grade and kah doing really well.

What were the signs he showed? Her signs are impulsiveness and some focus issues. She has energy but nothing crazy and socially she's doing great. I just feel like the impulsiveness and focus are the real ADHD behaviors even though most ppl think the hyperactivity is.

imasinger

Post Sun, Nov 13 2022, 8:06 pm
Not too early. You might want to choose other treatment options (therapy, structure) and hold off on medication until at least 5 or 6, though.

amother
Wheat

Post Sun, Nov 13 2022, 8:10 pm
Getting a diagnosis won't tell you much more than you're already seeing.

If I were you, I would take my kid off sugar and food dyes, get them on a good magnesium, b vitamin and fish oil, possibly also l tyrosine, and see where that gets us. I would also want to make sure there are no tongue ties or sleep apnea and they are not mouth breathing most of the day. Strep and yeast are big causes for impulsivity and focus as well.

mha3484

Post Sun, Nov 13 2022, 8:18 pm
Literally touched everything. Had difficulty with personal space. A lot of social issues. Every morah said he was beyond the norm in terms of impulse control.

amother
Latte

Post Sun, Nov 13 2022, 8:40 pm
We took DS to be evaluated when he was younger and at the time we were told by the psychiatrist (in a big teaching hospital in our city) that she won't give an official diagnosis until the behavior is impacting the child socially and academically. So just exhibiting ADHD behaviors wouldn't warrant a diagnosis. That being said, we did start OT and play therapy when he was young and saw major improvements in his behavior, but he did not receive a diagnosis.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Nov 13 2022, 8:44 pm
amother Latte wrote:
We took DS to be evaluated when he was younger and at the time we were told by the psychiatrist (in a big teaching hospital in our city) that she won't give an official diagnosis until the behavior is impacting the child socially and academically. So just exhibiting ADHD behaviors wouldn't warrant a diagnosis. That being said, we did start OT and play therapy when he was young and saw major improvements in his behavior, but he did not receive a diagnosis.

I am not looking for a diagnosis really, just trying to understand what I am seeing. I am an OT and not so sure that is what she needs right now. I am interested in play therapy though. Can you tell me more about that?

amother
Latte

Post Sun, Nov 13 2022, 9:09 pm
Quote:
I am not looking for a diagnosis really, just trying to understand what I am seeing. I am an OT and not so sure that is what she needs right now. I am interested in play therapy though. Can you tell me more about that?

The therapist would sit on the floor with him and sort of create "scenes" with little people, cars and trucks, or dolls - and play them out with him. Teaching him how to react in certain situations.
I actually didn't find it very beneficial - we only did 6 or 7 sessions and he hated going.
The OT though I found extremely successful, he went to a very equipped sensory gym for more than a year. He loved just touching, feeling, pulling, pushing...everything. I think the strong sensory input really helped with toning down that need to touch and feel literally everything, and his often impulsive behaviors - and that is where I saw really positive results. (But this was a boy, so it could be a girl may be more receptive to the talking out part of play therapy and less receptive to the sensory input)

amother
OP

Post Sun, Nov 13 2022, 9:12 pm
amother Latte wrote:
Quote:

The therapist would sit on the floor with him and sort of create "scenes" with little people, cars and trucks, or dolls - and play them out with him. Teaching him how to react in certain situations.
I actually didn't find it very beneficial - we only did 6 or 7 sessions and he hated going.
The OT though I found extremely successful, he went to a very equipped sensory gym for more than a year. He loved just touching, feeling, pulling, pushing...everything. I think the strong sensory input really helped with toning down that need to touch and feel literally everything, and his often impulsive behaviors - and that is where I saw really positive results. (But this was a boy, so it could be a girl may be more receptive to the talking out part of play therapy and less receptive to the sensory input)

Thanks! She really does not seem to have any major sensory issues like that. She would love an OT gym but not more than any average kid. I think she would love to play like that though because she's very good at imaginative play. I think I am going to look around for a good play therapist in the area to start with. Thanks!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)