Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Bathroom/ kitchen Construction Costs - Tri state Area
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Mon, Nov 14 2022, 11:58 am
If you purchased a fixer upper, or recently did kitchen/bathroom renovations, how much did it cost you?

Not looking for hi end, I just want the kitchen/bathroom to be fresh and new.

This is for a starter home, so another reason why I don't want to Invest in high end, but I don't want cheap junk either.

Bathroom would be full reno, new vanity, bathtub, tiles, hardware.

Kitchen, either start from scratch, I think around 200 square ft.
Another option would be Just to paint cabinets, add another sink, and new countertops.

Thanks!

amother
Winterberry

Post Mon, Nov 14 2022, 4:59 pm
Did a 12x15 ft kitchen remodel for 40k including appliances.

amother
Hotpink

Post Mon, Nov 14 2022, 5:08 pm
I just spent $100k redoing my kitchen in Lakewood. Mid range.

amother
Acacia

Post Mon, Nov 14 2022, 6:24 pm
I did 2 bathrooms recently $35K. We did have to fix some plumbing and electric so it wasn’t all cosmetic. Only tiled floor, shower/tub and half the wall behind the toilet and sink. Monsey area. Mid range

amother
OP

Post Mon, Nov 14 2022, 6:44 pm
amother Acacia wrote:
I did 2 bathrooms recently $35K. We did have to fix some plumbing and electric so it wasn’t all cosmetic. Only tiled floor, shower/tub and half the wall behind the toilet and sink. Monsey area. Mid range

Thank you all for your responses!

35k each?

amother
Acacia

Post Mon, Nov 14 2022, 7:39 pm
amother OP wrote:
Thank you all for your responses!

35k each?

No that was together.

Rubies

Post Mon, Nov 14 2022, 7:49 pm
You can do a bathroom for 5k.

amother
Dimgray

Post Mon, Nov 14 2022, 7:52 pm
Rubies wrote:

Really? With tile?

Rubies

Post Mon, Nov 14 2022, 7:55 pm
amother Dimgray wrote:
Really? With tile?

Yes!
Basic subway tile from home depot for example.

amother
Olive

Post Mon, Nov 14 2022, 7:57 pm

Last edited by amother on Mon, Nov 14 2022, 7:59 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Olive

Post Mon, Nov 14 2022, 7:58 pm
I recently renovated. I did bathrooms mid range for about 10k including tub vanity fully tiled (including labor).
kitchen is small I did cheap, I think it’s laminate but very pretty and stylish. It was about 20k including appliances (excluding floor)

wtvr

Post Mon, Nov 14 2022, 7:58 pm
We updated a bathroom without retiling the walls for about $5000. (Floor, vanity, lighting, fixed shower, painting. We left the existing wall tiles and shower tiles and toilet.)

amother
OP

Post Mon, Nov 14 2022, 8:38 pm
amother Acacia wrote:
No that was together.

Thanks!
Clearly I am not educated on this subject and so happy to learn!

amother
Honeydew

Post Mon, Nov 14 2022, 8:43 pm
Rubies wrote:

A full bathroom for 5k including the work and supplies? Sounds impossible to me. Especially with the rising costs of supplies and labor.

amother
Blueberry

Post Mon, Nov 14 2022, 9:17 pm
What is your budget because realistically that is what is going to determine what you can do?

Bathrooms and kitchens are the most expensive rooms to do because they require skilled expensive labor - electricians, plumbers and tile setters are all skilled and highly compensated.

FWIW painting kitchen cabinets so that they actually look good and don't immediately chip is not cheap if done by a professional. You don't just slap house paint on them but you have to clean them; sand them; prime them and then paint off site in a clean room with special paint meant for cabinets and not regular house paint.

Do you need new appliances?

The best way to proceed is to determine what your realistic budget is and then determine what your priorities are.

Without knowing anything other than you want to remodel a normal sized kitchen and bathroom with nice but not super high end stuff I would say the kitchen for a complete remodel would be at least $35,000 and the bathroom at least $20,000. And that is selecting moderately priced finishes.

Rubies

Post Mon, Nov 14 2022, 9:20 pm
amother Honeydew wrote:
A full bathroom for 5k including the work and supplies? Sounds impossible to me. Especially with the rising costs of supplies and labor.

Yes but it means going with basic tiles, cheaper vanity, basic fixtures.

amother
Jean

Post Mon, Nov 14 2022, 9:23 pm
Rubies wrote:
Yes!
Basic subway tile from home depot for example.

The major cost of tiling is the labor.

amother
Blueberry

Post Mon, Nov 14 2022, 9:25 pm
Rubies wrote:
Yes but it means going with basic tiles, cheaper vanity, basic fixtures.

I don't understand the extent of your work?

A tiled shower - even with relatively inexpensive tiles - is very expensive because it requires very skilled labor to properly water proof it - slope the floors so that it drains correctly and then tile so it doesn't look like a mess. A tiled shower with even less expensive tiled shower would be about $6000 just for the tiled shower - not for the shower glass if you wanted it. ETA

If you get one of those prefab fiberglass shower enclosures, it is significantly cheaper because there is no very skilled labor needed to frame, waterproof and build the shower - you just put it in place.

FWIW you can't "fix" a tiled shower because the waterproofing is seamless and so if it is disturbed it is no longer waterproof. Neither tiles, grout nor caulk are what makes a shower waterproof - it is what is behind the tiles that makes it waterproof. And a leaky shower will cause structural damage as well as lots of mold issues.

amother
Blueberry

Post Mon, Nov 14 2022, 9:27 pm
amother Jean wrote:

My experience as well as installing tile in a bathroom is very complicated work if it is done properly.

A kitchen backsplash is simpler but even a kitchen backsplash can be installed by someone who is unskilled and look terrible but at least that is just aesthetics and not function.

A bathroom done by unskilled people will have functional issues like leaking which can impact the structural integrity of your home - ruin the sublayer of flooring for example if water permeates the joists.

Rubies

Post Mon, Nov 14 2022, 9:31 pm
amother Jean wrote:

And?
Was I giving the impression that I put it in myself?

I guess I must've gotten a good quote on the bathrooms as it was just a fraction of the tiling work done in the house.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics