Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Don't know if this is normal

amother
OP

Post Mon, Nov 14 2022, 5:32 pm
DD almost 6 has been waking up screaming in pain that her private part burns. This started when she was 2 we took her to dr so many times and kept being told that its yeast infection. Then she stopped to for a while and is now doing it again. I am starting to wonder if it is more then a yeast infection nothing calms her down and she just shrieks owy has anyone had this? I have found her with her hands in her underwear while asleep? Is that normal? Can it have something to do with it?

amother
Arcticblue

Post Mon, Nov 14 2022, 5:32 pm
Pinworms. I’m sorry Sad

amother
Raspberry

Post Mon, Nov 14 2022, 5:33 pm
amother Arcticblue wrote:
Pinworms. I’m sorry Sad

For 4 years?

amother
Arcticblue

Post Mon, Nov 14 2022, 5:35 pm
amother Raspberry wrote:
For 4 years?

If it’s not treated, and she keeps reinfecting herself, yes. Sometimes even if it is treated, it sticks around because children are no good at hygiene…

s1

Post Mon, Nov 14 2022, 5:39 pm
Sounds like worms

amother
OP

Post Mon, Nov 14 2022, 5:39 pm
I thought pinworms but she complaining that it's her private part. Aren't pinworms from the tush?

amother
Arcticblue

Post Mon, Nov 14 2022, 5:42 pm
amother OP wrote:
I thought pinworms but she complaining that it's her private part. Aren't pinworms from the tush?

In girls, it’s very common for them to migrate there. And it’s more irritating there than in the back.

amother
Winterberry

Post Mon, Nov 14 2022, 5:44 pm
Pinworms can be in any hole and can go to the front too. Definitely treat it as pinworms. If you want to be sure you can check with a flashlight in the dark at night when she wakes up screaming.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Nov 14 2022, 5:45 pm
amother Arcticblue wrote:
In girls, it’s very common for them to migrate there. And it’s more irritating there than in the back.

Interesting! Good to know. Too the Dr we go Tomorrow! Nebach! Poor girl of thats what it is! (And poor me)

amother
Steel

Post Mon, Nov 14 2022, 5:47 pm
Check if the area is irritated or she has a rash. I know when my girls don't wipe well, they get very irritated down there. Or perhaps she needs a different fabric underwear.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Nov 14 2022, 5:52 pm
amother Winterberry wrote:
Pinworms can be in any hole and can go to the front too. Definitely treat it as pinworms. If you want to be sure you can check with a flashlight in the dark at night when she wakes up screaming.

Thanks for this suggestion! I just checked and she had a worm crawling in her! That poor child! Thank you everyone for the help!

amother
Stonewash

Post Mon, Nov 14 2022, 5:53 pm
My dd has this sometimes, though doesn't sound as bad or frequent as yours. Here are things that have affected it in the past, and when we try to control for them it is generally better.

Could be if her fingers are in there that she is irritating it, make sure to keep her fingernails short, but not sharp. Or even traces of other stuff on her hands could irritate it (food residue that wasn't washed off well, trace amounts of paint or glue, anything really), so make sure she washes her hands extra well before bed and the soap comes off. But if she is rubbing herself down there (which is not terribly unusual at that age), that itself could seriously irritate her and be the main cause of the problem.

Could be pinworms, worth checking. Or a yeast infection, check that too.

Could be a urinary tract infection, worth checking that. Or could be that she is just a bit dehydrated (not enough to be otherwise noticeable), and the urine sitting in her body for longer periods of time at night is highly concentrated and irritating her down there (happens to me), and maybe needs to drink more to prevent.

Could be she isn't wiping herself well. Leaving a little urine which is irritating. Or not wiping front to back so a bit of bowel movements get in and irritate it. Or she just isn't wiping well from the back and it migrates itself during regular moving around. Or that tiny bits of tissue get stuck. Or that she is wiping too much and irritating it (we taught to pat the front private area dry instead of wiping or rubbing it). Or that the toilet paper is ever so slightly irritating her (we noticed a significant difference when we always stick with one brand of toilet paper, and it isn't necessarily the softest one, just trial and error). Could be that the toilet paper has aloe vera or something else and she is having a reaction to that (happens to me).

Could be she is showering/bathing too often or too little. More importantly, could be she is not washing the soap off very well and that leaves irritation.

Could be her underwear is just a bit too tight, not noticeable from the outside, but constricting just enough (this is a major culprit for us - everytime the problem happens more than once or twice, we buy her bigger underwear and it mostly resolves). Also could be her underwear is too loose or that the rim of the legs has lace or something else hard-ish that is chafing her when it moves around. Could be her underwear isn't breathable, make sure it is cotton. Could be she is wearing too many layers on bottom while she sleeps, try a long nightgown with no pants. Make sure her room isn't too hot.

Could be that she just has more dryness than the average child (I read this somewhere), not sure what to do about it, but ask a doc.

When dd wakes up in the night and it is bothering her, we keep a tube of diaper rash cream next to her bed and help her put some on, but taught her to do it herself, it usually helps (whether actually, or just because it feels cold, or because of placebo, who knows). If it is really bad, we give her kid's ibuprofen and send her back to sleep, but this is rare.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics