Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)
Focalin vs vivance

fiji

Post Mon, Nov 14 2022, 2:13 pm
Curious how your kids reacted to these two meds and which (if any) worked for your child?

amother
Salmon

Post Mon, Nov 14 2022, 2:28 pm
Vyvanse was horrific for my son, we discontinued it within 72 hours of beginning. It made him look and sound psychotic. Focalin had a much much milder effect. In fact, we ultimately stopped it (for that son) because it wasn't being effective enough. A different child is now on focalin and doing great.

amother
Blush

Post Mon, Nov 14 2022, 2:30 pm
Same story with Vyvanse! He had terrible side effects.
Now he's on Focalin for a while, bh doing great!

amother
Mintcream

Post Mon, Nov 14 2022, 2:32 pm
From my own experience trying different kinds of ADHD medicine as a teenager, vyvanse was by far the best for me in terms of stabilizing my focus without a big and noticeable “wearing off” period each day like you can sometimes have with other adhd meds. It absolutely transformed my life for the better. I believe it can be an unbelievably effective medication. I am pregnant now and cannot take it, and am looking forward to being back on it after I give birth.

Of course you have to start off on a low dose and then build up, and even then you will likely have anxiety or OCD like behavior in the beginning as the body adjusts. I believe this is true for all stimulants.

I also recommend Concerta, it helped me for many years.

amother
Brickred

Post Mon, Nov 14 2022, 2:37 pm
One kid is on vivance and it is life transforming. Only downside is no appetite.

Another kid the doc wanted focalin but it is out of stock locally... so not sure what else we will try for that kid.

It is so kid dependent. Everyone reacts differently...

amother
Arcticblue

Post Mon, Nov 14 2022, 2:41 pm
vyvanse has been life transforming for two of my kids, they are doing so well on this medication. Focalin made them both sad and angry and had to stop the medication within a few days. Totally depends on the kid, only way to know is to try.

amother
Cantaloupe

Post Mon, Nov 14 2022, 3:07 pm
My son had bad side effects with ritalin and attent. He's been on vyvance for about a year and a half and it has been amazing. No side effects at all. He eats and sleeps has no rebound effects afterwards. B"h we are so happy with Vyvance. He never tried focalin. Every person is different so something can be great for some children and horrible for others.

amother
Arcticblue

Post Mon, Nov 14 2022, 3:11 pm
amother Cantaloupe wrote:
My son had bad side effects with ritalin and attent. He's been on vyvance for about a year and a half and it has been amazing. No side effects at all. He eats and sleeps has no rebound effects afterwards. B"h we are so happy with Vyvance. He never tried focalin. Every person is different so something can be great for some children and horrible for others.

So strange because vyvanse and attent have the same active ingredient, just one is long acting and one is short

amother
Skyblue

Post Mon, Nov 14 2022, 3:12 pm
My son is taking Vyvanse. Chewable 20mg. Dr picked that one because he had a hard time swallowing capsules.It works amazing for his focusing issues.
Side effects: It gives him a dry mouth(he's always leaking his lips and making little noises), cuts his appetite but nothing terrible he eats a good breakfast and more supper. It takes him longer to fall asleep even with melatonin.
I do think the advantages surpass the side effects.
Never tried focalin.

fiji

Post Mon, Nov 14 2022, 4:50 pm
Thank you all for your input. My daughter has been on focalin for about a year with no negative side effects but it’s really not doing much. A higher dose turns her into a zombie and doesn’t help any. Dr is switching her to vyvanse but I’m so nervous! I hate all this “experimenting”!

amother
Slategray

Post Mon, Nov 14 2022, 5:11 pm
Focalin turned my son into a violent monster (and he had violence issues to begin with). We didn't even finish the trial 10 days, it was so bad. Not sure we even did five of them.

Vyvanse had a much milder effect. On 30mg we saw improvement with seemingly no side effects. DS said it wasn't as effective as he'd like and asked for a higher dose. Around that time we started seeing increased aggression but we didn't connect the dots because he'd been on Vyvanse with no issues for a while. It was only when the dose was upped to 70 that we connected the dots and realized the Vyvanse might be the cause of aggression. And anxiety, btw.

Now DS is on Attent and we see basically zero side effects, the only issue is making sure it wears off at a good time. No issues eating, sleeping, no violence, just a calming effect. BH.

But different kids need different medications. I have a cousin who does really well on a low dose of Ritalin and did very poorly on Vyvanse. Her father takes Vyvanse though and you can see the difference in him, how much calmer he is now that he takes Vyvanse than how he was before he was medicated.

twogees

Post Mon, Nov 14 2022, 5:34 pm
My son is on Vyvanse and has the same reaction as Skyblues child.

My Pediatrician wanted to up the dose to 30 mg but I said no bec he's doing well and he's actually doing his homework when he gets home and goes to sleep at a reasonable time with melatonin so considering he's actually still focused at 4:30/5 when he's told to sit down to do homework I saw no need to up it. BH my pediatrician will only up if I see that it needs to be done. I happen to have my son on 10 mg for Shabbos and shorter school days bec I don't think he needs the full 20 mg and my ped is on board with that.

amother
Skyblue

Post Mon, Nov 14 2022, 5:55 pm
twogees wrote:
My son is on Vyvanse and has the same reaction as Skyblues child.

My Pediatrician wanted to up the dose to 30 mg but I said no bec he's doing well and he's actually doing his homework when he gets home and goes to sleep at a reasonable time with melatonin so considering he's actually still focused at 4:30/5 when he's told to sit down to do homework I saw no need to up it. BH my pediatrician will only up if I see that it needs to be done. I happen to have my son on 10 mg for Shabbos and shorter school days bec I don't think he needs the full 20 mg and my ped is on board with that.

Good idea! I don't give it at all on off school days but sometimes I feel bad that he doesn't get the "help" for davening and homework.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)