Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Bathroom/ kitchen Construction Costs - Tri state Area
Previous  1  2  3  Next

Rubies

Post Mon, Nov 14 2022, 9:34 pm
amother Blueberry wrote:
I don't understand the extent of your work?

A tiled shower - even with relatively inexpensive tiles - is very expensive because it requires very skilled labor to properly water proof it - slope the floors so that it drains correctly and then tile so it doesn't look like a mess. A tiled shower with even less expensive tiles would be about $6000 just for the tiles - not for the shower glass if you wanted it.

If you get one of those prefab fiberglass shower enclosures, it is significantly cheaper because there is no very skilled labor needed to frame, waterproof and build the shower - you just put it in place.

FWIW you can't "fix" a tiled shower because the waterproofing is seamless and so if it is disturbed it is no longer waterproof. Neither tiles, grout nor caulk are what makes a shower waterproof - it is what is behind the tiles that makes it waterproof. And a leaky shower will cause structural damage as well as lots of mold issues.

Cheap subway tiles from home depot would be less than 1k. Unless we're discussing a big bathroom.

amother
Blueberry

Post Mon, Nov 14 2022, 9:37 pm
Rubies wrote:
Cheap subway tiles from home depot would be less than 1k. Unless we're discussing a big bathroom.

It is not the cost of the tiles that drives up the expense - it is the cost of skilled labor.

Also not all tiles are created equal and so cheap tiles aren't rectified and therefore in order for the tiles to look nice it requires a lot more work plus more tiles have to be discarded.

Some tile setters who are experienced will not work with some tiles because they can't achieve a good result.

The cost of materials is not what drives up the cost of a bathroom - it is the cost of the skilled labor to do the job properly.

Rubies

Post Mon, Nov 14 2022, 9:41 pm
amother Blueberry wrote:
It is not the cost of the tiles that drives up the expense - it is the cost of skilled labor.

Also not all tiles are created equal and so cheap tiles aren't rectified and therefore in order for the tiles to look nice it requires a lot more work plus more tiles have to be discarded.

Some tile setters who are experienced will not work with some tiles because they can't achieve a good result.

The cost of materials is not what drives up the cost of a bathroom - it is the cost of the skilled labor to do the job properly.

I guess you missed a post of mine.
I was responding to the post stating it's at least 6k for tiles alone. That's not true if you use basic subway tiles. They're good quality only they're not as pretty What

Skilled labor did a beautiful job, with a range of obscenely expensive tiles in one place and these cheap ones in another.

I didn't know I got such a great deal. I'm being so much more grateful going forward. Very Happy

amother
Blueberry

Post Mon, Nov 14 2022, 9:47 pm
Rubies wrote:
I guess you missed a post of mine.
I was responding to the post stating it's at least 6k for tiles alone. That's not true if you use basic subway tiles. They're good quality only they're not as pretty What

Skilled labor did a beautiful job, with a range of obscenely expensive tiles in one place and these cheap ones in another.

I didn't know I got such a great deal. I'm being so much more grateful going forward. Very Happy

I see the confusion as that was my post about $6000 and I meant at least $6000 for a tiled shower - not just for the tiles but that would be with relatively inexpensive tiles and of course depends on the size. Until I remodeled I didn't realize how much skilled labor it took to properly build a tiled shower so it would last and not leak or get moldy.

I was comparing it to a fiberglass type of enclosure which has no tile work and needs no waterproofing. Someone just puts it in the room and hooks up the fixtures and that is it.

A lot of lower end/builder grade bathrooms will have a tub/shower with a fiberglass enclosure and no tiles because it is the cheapest and easiest way to go as you don't need skilled labor because the fiberglass prefabricated enclosure provides the waterproofing in lieu of a waterproofed tile wall

I did opt for more expensive tiles but that was because the cost of the tiles themselves in my relatively small rooms was not what was driving up the cost but the labor and all the rest of the stuff needed for the bathroom.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Nov 14 2022, 10:30 pm
amother Blueberry wrote:
What is your budget because realistically that is what is going to determine what you can do?

Bathrooms and kitchens are the most expensive rooms to do because they require skilled expensive labor - electricians, plumbers and tile setters are all skilled and highly compensated.

FWIW painting kitchen cabinets so that they actually look good and don't immediately chip is not cheap if done by a professional. You don't just slap house paint on them but you have to clean them; sand them; prime them and then paint off site in a clean room with special paint meant for cabinets and not regular house paint.

Do you need new appliances?

The best way to proceed is to determine what your realistic budget is and then determine what your priorities are.

Without knowing anything other than you want to remodel a normal sized kitchen and bathroom with nice but not super high end stuff I would say the kitchen for a complete remodel would be at least $35,000 and the bathroom at least $20,000. And that is selecting moderately priced finishes.

I'm in the house buying stage, and I see a lot fixer uppers in the neighborhood I am looking at, so I am trying to figure out my budget for renovations so I can work it into my house budget.
So let's say my house budget is 500k. I see a house for 400k that needs sprucing up. Is 100k enough to spruce it up?
That's why I'm asking.

The responses here have been very helpful.

amother
Oxfordblue

Post Mon, Nov 14 2022, 10:30 pm
I am currently redoing a half-bathroom (no shower/tub, but we are tiling halfway up the walls) and mid-sized kitchen. My contractor is charging 52k not including appliances. And he is known to charge less than others in my area (NJ).

amother
Blueberry

Post Mon, Nov 14 2022, 10:49 pm
amother OP wrote:
I'm in the house buying stage, and I see a lot fixer uppers in the neighborhood I am looking at, so I am trying to figure out my budget for renovations so I can work it into my house budget.
So let's say my house budget is 500k. I see a house for 400k that needs sprucing up. Is 100k enough to spruce it up?
That's why I'm asking.

The responses here have been very helpful.

A lot is going to depend on the specific house

In general people try to do certain things before they move in because it is so disruptive to do after they move. Painting and flooring would be the highest priority.

Then what is just cosmetic versus what is not functional and needs repair. You can spruce up a kitchen relatively inexpensively by painting the walls, changing faucet, better lights and maybe new knobs. Then stuff starts costing a bit and you have to decide whether it is worth it to spend money for a kitchen with old cabinets that aren’t the best construction and layout or just save up and live with an ugly counter or whatever until you gut and get a really good kitchen.

Some homes have good bones and you can remodel over time as finances allow. Better a home that is a bit ugly but with nice space, good construction and layout.

Also I am very suspicious of the quality of flipped homes so I personally would avoid any home where it is obvious that the seller did work recently in order to make it look cosmetically better.

amother
Apricot

Post Tue, Nov 15 2022, 8:50 am
Labor costs are very location dependent.

You should be able to do a midsized kitchen cabinets + laminate counters with a $20k budget.

You will need to add flooring, appliances & electrical, cost will depend on what you chose.

amother
Apricot

Post Tue, Nov 15 2022, 8:51 am
amother Hotpink wrote:
I just spent $100k redoing my kitchen in Lakewood. Mid range.

Well it's obviously not mid- range Smile

amother
OP

Post Tue, Nov 15 2022, 9:24 am
amother Blueberry wrote:
A lot is going to depend on the specific house

In general people try to do certain things before they move in because it is so disruptive to do after they move. Painting and flooring would be the highest priority.

Then what is just cosmetic versus what is not functional and needs repair. You can spruce up a kitchen relatively inexpensively by painting the walls, changing faucet, better lights and maybe new knobs. Then stuff starts costing a bit and you have to decide whether it is worth it to spend money for a kitchen with old cabinets that aren’t the best construction and layout or just save up and leave with an ugly counter or whatever until you gut and get a really good kitchen.

Some homes have good bones and you can remodel over time as finances allow. Better a home that is a bit ugly but with nice space, good construction and layout.

Also I am very suspicious of the quality of flipped homes so I personally would avoid any home where it is obvious that the seller did work recently in order to make it look cosmetically better.

Obviously it's going to depend on the specific house.
Painting is a priority, yes, flooring is not my priority.

New kitchen and bathrooms is priority personally.

I agree with the bolded.
I would probably gut a new kitchen before I move in, for most of the kitchens I've seen. I have money saved up, I'm just trying to figure out how much I'd need.

So let's say my budget for a home is 500k, and I find something with good bones for 400k, I am just making sure that I have enough in my budget to do the kitchen and bathroom reno.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Nov 15 2022, 9:33 am
amother Blueberry wrote:
I see the confusion as that was my post about $6000 and I meant at least $6000 for a tiled shower - not just for the tiles but that would be with relatively inexpensive tiles and of course depends on the size. Until I remodeled I didn't realize how much skilled labor it took to properly build a tiled shower so it would last and not leak or get moldy.

I was comparing it to a fiberglass type of enclosure which has no tile work and needs no waterproofing. Someone just puts it in the room and hooks up the fixtures and that is it.

A lot of lower end/builder grade bathrooms will have a tub/shower with a fiberglass enclosure and no tiles because it is the cheapest and easiest way to go as you don't need skilled labor because the fiberglass prefabricated enclosure provides the waterproofing in lieu of a waterproofed tile wall

I did opt for more expensive tiles but that was because the cost of the tiles themselves in my relatively small rooms was not what was driving up the cost but the labor and all the rest of the stuff needed for the bathroom.

Also, what's wrong with a fiberglass enclosure shower or tub?
Especially if it lowers the cost so much!!

amother
Blueberry

Post Tue, Nov 15 2022, 9:42 am
amother OP wrote:

There is nothing functionally wrong with them except that they are ugly and most people who are remodeling are remodeling partly because the bathrooms are unattractive

You might put this kind of fiberglass shower in a basement bathroom for example.

I was assuming OP wanted to upgrade functioning bathrooms and most people who are "upgrading" want a nice looking bathroom or why bother so long as the original bathroom is working.

amother
Blueberry

Post Tue, Nov 15 2022, 9:45 am
amother OP wrote:

I agree with the bolded.
I would probably gut a new kitchen before I move in, for most of the kitchens I've seen. I have money saved up, I'm just trying to figure out how much I'd need.

So let's say my budget for a home is 500k, and I find something with good bones for 400k, I am just making sure that I have enough in my budget to do the kitchen and bathroom reno.

I don't know how you would know exactly what the house needs until you actually pick the house.

For example, you say flooring is not a priority but what if the flooring is in bad shape or hideous or worn carpet in a specific house. Then you would need to factor in the cost of dealing with the floors and that would generally need to be done prior to moving in.

Other than that $100,000 should be sufficient for a kitchen and bathroom remodel even in a high cost of living area.

amother
Ruby

Post Tue, Nov 15 2022, 9:54 am
I redid older house in Monsey. Kitchen (including cabinets, counters, floor, labor) was about 20k. Came out beautiful. Not the most high end, but granite counter and acrylic cabinets.... spot lights...

In total with kitchen, one new bathroom, painting house, adding laundry room, pesach kitchen, moving some walls, scraping... came close to 50k. Our contractor was about 25k.

Total was almost 50k.

eta- I didn't do the most high end, but I think it came out really nice, fresh, and comfortable.

amother
Hotpink

Post Tue, Nov 15 2022, 10:18 am
amother Apricot wrote:
Well it's obviously not mid- range Smile

Nope. It was mostly mid range.
Cabinets were better quality but from a cheaper kitchen store.
Counters were the quartz.
Appliances were cheap but not top of the line.

I spent money on quality but nothing was high end.

Cheap cabinets is a waste of money and will look like garbage in a couple of years.

amother
Tomato

Post Tue, Nov 15 2022, 10:31 am
amother OP wrote:

Nothing "wrong" per say, but they crack much faster than tile does and usually needs to be replaced down the line. Tile is a better investment, if installed correctly it has a much longer lifespan.

amother
Cobalt

Post Tue, Nov 15 2022, 10:40 am
amother OP wrote:

I agree with the bolded.

You need to do the kitchen before you move in. But assuming that you have a few bathrooms you can do them after, it will just be annoying to have construction going on while living there.

I hope everyone responding has gotten their renovations done within the last 6 months. Labor costs have gone through the roof recently.

amother
Blueberry

Post Tue, Nov 15 2022, 10:47 am
amother Cobalt wrote:
You need to do the kitchen before you move in. But assuming that you have a few bathrooms you can do them after, it will just be annoying to have construction going on while living there.

I hope everyone responding has gotten their renovations done within the last 6 months. Labor costs have gone through the roof recently.

Actually it's not convenient but people do remodel kitchens after moving in and figure it out.

In some ways it is better to remodel after you have lived in a home for awhile because you can design a better kitchen after seeing why the current kitchen doesn't function well.

Also if you buy a house you wil not have sufficient time to actual remodel a kitchen. It takes at least 3 months for cabinets to arrive AFTER you have ordered for the better quality semi-custom and most GC are booked in advance. If you started the process tomorrow you would need to have the kitchen designed - interview designers and GC's - have them come to the house for them to give you a firm bid on the project - order all materials and have them available on site etc.

I am not sure how people are remodeling for such small amounts - especially in a high cost of living area. Appliances alone in the mid range can be $10,000 or more - Bosch, Kitchenaid. Kitchen cabinets in a decent quality semi-custom line like Kraftmaid for a normal size kitchen can be $25,000 or more just for the cabinets. Pricing of cabinets is deceptive because much of the stuff that makes a cabinet more durable and functional is an upgrade such as deep drawers or drawers that are dowel

amother
Natural

Post Tue, Nov 15 2022, 11:02 am
amother Ruby wrote:
I redid older house in Monsey. Kitchen (including cabinets, counters, floor, labor) was about 20k. Came out beautiful. Not the most high end, but granite counter and acrylic cabinets.... spot lights...

In total with kitchen, one new bathroom, painting house, adding laundry room, pesach kitchen, moving some walls, scraping... came close to 50k. Our contractor was about 25k.

Total was almost 50k.

eta- I didn't do the most high end, but I think it came out really nice, fresh, and comfortable.

I wonder if pricing is still the same now. Did you do this project in the last 6 months?

MominMonsey

Post Tue, Nov 15 2022, 11:04 am
For those in Monsey who did bathrooms, did you like your contractor? If so, can you please share contact information? I'm looking to add a bathroom in the basement but so far haven't been able to find a contractor who's not ridiculously expensive and does good work.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics