Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
How do I discourage the friendship?
Previous  1  2

amother
Dimgray

Post Tue, Nov 15 2022, 8:59 am
amother Green wrote:
I agree with the person over 40 - it is hard to tell if that is friendly or something more nefarious, but you have talked to her about this.

I have seen “rude and disrespectful middos” in children of the best families.

She likes this girl and the girl has fun toys. I don’t see why you are trying so hard to discourage a blossoming friendship.

You are not in the situation, you don't the daughter, the girl or the neighborhood.
Op listen to your gut not anonymous advice from online. Online, everyone loves everyone and is accepting and welcoming. Let's keep living in the real world where we protect our own kids even if it means a different little girl suffers. My responsibility is to my own child not to any other
Literally the definition of misplaced chessed.

amother
Sienna

Post Tue, Nov 15 2022, 9:01 am
Good you are on top of it op.
Thats weird about the guy, just off off off.

I would make sure dd is busy either with a playdate, appointment, or an outing with me or another relative like every day after school for quite a while until the relationship peters out. I would sign her up for some after school activities, maybe even with one or two of the other neighborhood kids.. and/or tell her that from now on homework comes first, no playdates, so when the other child comes over the answer is sorry can't now have to do homework.

Can you make playdates with the other kids on the block? Take them out for ice cream or something or to the library whatever flies in your neighborhood.

Personally I would trust my gut, remember as you do that your first priority is to your kid, and do whatever it takes.

Also sneak in some teachable moments about what she likes and what makes a good friendship and healthy environment etc

keep lines of communication open and strengthen your relationship.

amother
White

Post Tue, Nov 15 2022, 10:12 am
Go to the house with her
Walk her there, go in for a bit. If u don’t like what’s going on, explain it to your daughter and have the girls play by u or outdoors with your supervision.

amother
Fuchsia

Post Tue, Nov 15 2022, 10:25 am
What I did was tell my daughter that she must have a variety of friends. Because it is very unhealthy to always play with the same one. So we invited different girls on a rotation. And the friendship did fizzle out thank G-d.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children