Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty -> Sheitels & Tichels
Headache when wearing sheitel

amother
OP

Post Mon, Nov 14 2022, 12:42 pm
Hi, I have taken it as a given that wearing sheitels gives me a horrible headache but wondering if anyone has any tips? I have checked with machers and the caps are not too tight. I dont feel comfortable wearing it more than 2 hours max. can anyone help me please??

Not_in_my_town

Post Mon, Nov 14 2022, 12:47 pm
Do you wear a human hair or synthetic? Plain sheitel or sheitel with something on top?

When I used to wear a covered synthetic is was extremely uncomfortable and I couldn't wait to get it off.

I find a plain human hair to be as comfortable as a tichel.

Maybe a different version of whatever you wear might be more comfortable.

Batsheva1

Post Mon, Nov 14 2022, 1:04 pm
I've been married for 32 years and I still get migraines from wearing a sheitel. I also have the 2 hour limit and basically wear a sheitel for simchas otherwise I prefer hats. I have very expensive custom sheitels, makes no difference. I think some heads are more sensitive than others. The people who don't relate are the people whose heads can tolerate it so they don't understand what we're talking about. I do have bands sewn into my sheitel and it does help. No advice to give after 32 years. Sorry.

amother
Maize

Post Mon, Nov 14 2022, 4:15 pm
One thought: size up. I have a tiny head and sheitel machers always try to steer me to small-sized sheitels, but I am only comfortable in larger sizes that are looser on my head (not so huge that it's falling off or bumpy, but relatively loose).

amother
Winterberry

Post Mon, Nov 14 2022, 4:25 pm
Some people are more sensitive. Some sheitles are more comfortable than others. A few sheitle marchers told me that lace top is more comfortable.

amother
Olive

Post Mon, Nov 14 2022, 4:26 pm
Not sure if it's for you, but no headaches with lace top wigs. I think it's something with the cap construction.

amother
Pink

Post Mon, Nov 14 2022, 4:26 pm
amother OP wrote:
Hi, I have taken it as a given that wearing sheitels gives me a horrible headache but wondering if anyone has any tips? I have checked with machers and the caps are not too tight. I dont feel comfortable wearing it more than 2 hours max. can anyone help me please??

I used to get headaches from them too. Until one sheitel marcher completely opened up the whole wig so it was,totally not closed and I felt no pressure or tightness.

ra_mom

Post Mon, Nov 14 2022, 4:27 pm
amother OP wrote:

It it one specific wig, or do you have this issue with multiple (3) wigs?

amother
Poppy

Post Mon, Nov 14 2022, 4:33 pm
If you haven't already done so, lose the clips. That helped me big time.

amother
Geranium

Post Mon, Nov 14 2022, 4:35 pm
Sizing up can really help

amother
OP

Post Tue, Nov 15 2022, 12:36 pm
amother Geranium wrote:
Sizing up can really help

thank you! I can't afford to get new sheitels at the moment... is there a way to stretch the ones I have now? I have two sheitels and both give me headaches as well as my previous one

amother
OP

Post Tue, Nov 15 2022, 12:36 pm
amother Poppy wrote:
If you haven't already done so, lose the clips. That helped me big time.

thanks. so then how do they stay in place? I really dont like the wig grips

amother
Hawthorn

Post Tue, Nov 15 2022, 12:39 pm
amother OP wrote:
thanks. so then how do they stay in place? I really dont like the wig grips

Try the lizi Headwear wig grips they're amazing!

amother
Maple

Post Tue, Nov 15 2022, 1:13 pm
amother OP wrote:
thank you! I can't afford to get new sheitels at the moment... is there a way to stretch the ones I have now? I have two sheitels and both give me headaches as well as my previous one

Yes ask your sheitel lady.
You can stretch it on head when it's wet and let it dry like that.
Or open it up.(more of a sewing job!)

chocolate moose

Post Fri, Nov 25 2022, 11:03 am
Really short hair helps a lot.

tryingmybest:)

Post Fri, Nov 25 2022, 11:07 am
I used to get headaches as well. Initially, I only wore my shaitel for a few hours. Then, at some point, I was forced to wear a shaitel all day for work and after a few weeks, they don’t give me headaches any more! I never got migraines though…

amother
Leaf

Post Fri, Nov 25 2022, 11:28 am
I am a sensitive sheitel wearer too. I get headaches and itchy. This is what I have found helpful over the years.

- buy wig on looser end. Wigs that feel tight I remove the elastic pieces on the inside.

-remove combs and clips and use wig band. I always make sure the band isn't tight

-new wigs I buy with lace top. So much lighter, plus don't have to buy as loose

- Old wigs I thinned to have less pressure on my head.

-Conditioner on my scalp in the winter so it's less dry and itchy

Sometimes I just need to take off my sheitel for a few minutes to regroup. I go to the bathroom, take it off, rest 2 minutes, redo my pony, and then put wig back on.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Fashion and Beauty -> Sheitels & Tichels