Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Formula Feeding
Help me get baby taking formula!

ls8747

Post Wed, Nov 16 2022, 9:31 am
My 5 month old will not take a bottle. I've tried all the tricks. She is now willing/able to take about an ounce from a soft spout sippy cup...but won't take more even if she's hungry. I need to transition her to formula. Any tricks or ideas to get her drinking better from something that isn't me?

ls8747

Post Wed, Nov 16 2022, 9:35 am
Just to add, here are the things I've tried:
-every bottle nipple
-several types of sippy cup
-me feeding her, dh feeding her, nanny feeding her, 3 year old sister feeding her
- feeding her where I nurse and davka not where I nurse
- slipping in a bottle during nursing
-feeding her upright, sitting in an infant chair, and lying down
-walking around while feeding
-feeding at different times of day
-feeding while hungry and not so hungry
-cold and warm milk

amother
Petunia

Post Wed, Nov 16 2022, 9:39 am
ls8747 wrote:
My 5 month old will not take a bottle. I've tried all the tricks. She is now willing/able to take about an ounce from a soft spout sippy cup...but won't take more even if she's hungry. I need to transition her to formula. Any tricks or ideas to get her drinking better from something that isn't me?

I had one kid who stopped nursing at 4 months, and refused bottles. I tried pumping, different bottle, different nipples, probably also different formulas. I ended up starting her on solids and just adding the equivalent of what would go into one bottle, into everything she ate. Would that be an option for you?

amother
Sage

Post Wed, Nov 16 2022, 10:12 am
Munchkin 360 miracle cup
When my oldest started solids this worked better than any bottle. Get the kind with handles. And make sure to pull it entirely apart to clean and dry. Mold grows easily under the silicon circle.

bnm

Post Wed, Nov 16 2022, 10:17 am
Add it to cereal. Spoon feed her.

amother
Chambray

Post Wed, Nov 16 2022, 11:10 am
I got my baby to drink from a bottle by putting juice into it. She liked the sweetness and wanted more. Once she knew how to drink from a bottle, I put formula in. She was about 7 months.

fiji

Post Wed, Nov 16 2022, 11:52 am
amother Chambray wrote:
I got my baby to drink from a bottle by putting juice into it. She liked the sweetness and wanted more. Once she knew how to drink from a bottle, I put formula in. She was about 7 months.

This. I had this issue with a six month old and eventually gave her grape juice in a bottle. Worked like a charm!

ls8747

Post Wed, Nov 16 2022, 12:02 pm
Thank you all! Solids are tricky because she has some health concerns but the juice sounds promising!!

amother
Obsidian

Post Wed, Nov 16 2022, 12:20 pm
Try putting nipple of the bottle in your bra for a few hours! Supposedly it helps for some babies.
Is she OK with a bottle with your own milk in it? Or no bottle at all?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Formula Feeding