Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Hard time waking up

amother
OP

Post Wed, Nov 16 2022, 11:53 am
I'm having a very hard time getting my son (age 7) up for school in the morning. The problem is two-fold:

1. He has a hard time falling asleep at night. We have tried gummy melatonin (worked for a week, now he refuses to take them). going to bed early (he reads for hours), allowing him to read in the living room until late and no reading in bed (still falls asleep very late once in his room). We have tried prize charts for waking up/getting dressed without a hard time, he loses interest after a day or two.

2. I have found that the nurtured heart method works best in general with him (aka, low pressure/calm voice). In high-pressured situations, he tends to sabotage and be uncooperative. I don't know how to have this calm approach in the morning when he knows that he can make

I'm having a very hard time getting my son up for school in the morning. The problem is two-fold:

1. He has a hard time falling asleep at night. We have tried gummy melatonin (worked for a week, now he refuses to take them). going to bed early (he reads for hours), allowing him to read in the living room until late and no reading in bed (still falls asleep very late once in his room). We have tried prize charts for waking up/getting dressed without a hard time, he loses interest after a day or two.

2. I have found that the nurtured heart method works best in general with him (aka, low pressure/calm voice). In high-pressured situations, he tends to sabotage and be uncooperative. I don't know how to have a no-pressure approach in the morning when he knows that he can make everyone else late. It's not ok for him to repeatedly make his siblings late for school, nor is it an option for him to stay home alone and me take him later.

Any ideas? It's really hard on me and my other kids. He likes going to school, has friends and does well academically, but getting out of bed is so hard for him.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children