Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
More Chilled Yeshiva in EY?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Nov 16 2022, 10:18 am
My OTD son is in 12th grade at a modern Orthodox high school, and beH, slowly finding his way back. He’s considering going to EY for next year, B"H, and we’re trying to find a yeshiva that would be a good fit.

Basically, he's in a unique situation in that he's a mature kid who's not shomer Shabbos, but doesn't want to go to a "party school" where boys are getting drunk or doing drugs. He wants to make the most of his year if he's going to go.

He needs a place that's more laid back in terms of intensity of learning, etc., where he can feel comfortable asking hashkafic questions. Socially, he's a great guy, but more of an introvert and wants a school where the guys are welcoming and not too clique-y.

Can anyone recommend a yeshiva that might work?
Thank you for any suggestions!!

amother
DarkGreen

Post Wed, Nov 16 2022, 11:05 am
Ohr Somayach's Derech program sounds like a very good fit. Aish HaTorah has a similar program called Gesher. Both are post-high school. If he wants an MO place, Reishit could be an option, although I don't know how they would deal with him not being Shomer Shabbos, or if he's willing to be SS during the time he's there.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Nov 16 2022, 11:18 am
OP here:
Thank you!!
Gesher had come up as an option. Do you know if there are OTD kids who go to Derech and Gesher, or is it mainly secular kids from public school?

I think Reishit might be too “In Town” for him…

amother
Seafoam

Post Wed, Nov 16 2022, 11:28 am
I was going to say Gesher. I only have girls so I am not in the know about boy’s schools, but I have frum neighbors with sons who went through the day school system who were not OTD who went to Aish. From what I hear, it is a warm, inclusive place where they meet the boys where they are.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Nov 16 2022, 12:17 pm
Thank you! Gesher sounds like a great possibility.

amother
DarkRed

Post Wed, Nov 16 2022, 12:23 pm
amother OP wrote:
My OTD son is in 12th grade at a modern Orthodox high school, and beH, slowly finding his way back. He’s considering going to EY for next year, B"H, and we’re trying to find a yeshiva that would be a good fit.

Basically, he's in a unique situation in that he's a mature kid who's not shomer Shabbos, but doesn't want to go to a "party school" where boys are getting drunk or doing drugs. He wants to make the most of his year if he's going to go.

He needs a place that's more laid back in terms of intensity of learning, etc., where he can feel comfortable asking hashkafic questions. Socially, he's a great guy, but more of an introvert and wants a school where the guys are welcoming and not too clique-y.

Can anyone recommend a yeshiva that might work?
Thank you for any suggestions!!

Unfortunately the “chilled” places come with the boys that drink and aren’t as serious about learning

cocomelon

Post Thu, Mar 02 2023, 2:36 pm
I’m looking for a yeshiva for the son of a close friend. He asked that I find out the differences between TJ and Imrei in EY. I know very little about these, so can anyone give me details?

amother
Moonstone

Post Thu, Mar 02 2023, 2:50 pm
I would say Derech. It is not like the Ohr Sameach you usually hear about (from secular university background). My husband learned in Derech. MO boys, people to ask. Not so much pressure.

amother
Royalblue

Post Thu, Mar 02 2023, 3:21 pm
Aish Gesher has a very good reputation for working with kids who were raised in religious homes but are somewhat disillusioned. Many of the boys come out re-engaged and recommitted to frumkeit. I would call it yeshivish lite, maybe others would label it differently.

out-of-towner

Post Thu, Mar 02 2023, 4:23 pm
Ohr Samaiyach also has a program called Yesod IIRC that might be worth looking into.

amother
Magnolia

Post Thu, Mar 02 2023, 4:34 pm
Migdal Hatorah

gottago

Post Thu, Mar 02 2023, 6:18 pm
Just want to say, OP, you sound life an amazing mother! I'm sure your situation is challenging, but here you are supporting your son on "his derech". May you be zoche to so much nachas!

aimhabanim

Post Thu, Mar 02 2023, 8:25 pm
gottago wrote:
Just want to say, OP, you sound life an amazing mother! I'm sure your situation is challenging, but here you are supporting your son on "his derech". May you be zoche to so much nachas!

Ditto! Amen!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics