Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note
Needs place for shabbos

amother
OP

Post Sat, Nov 05 2022, 11:07 pm
My friends a single girl that needs to find a place to be every shabbos bec her home situation isn’t a healthy place for her to be. Lately she has been having a very hard time finding places to be and it’s taken a toll on her. It’s very hard for her to want to keep shabbos when every wk it becomes a whole dilemma.
My question is, is there any communities or organizations (besides Shabbat.com) that place ppl like this for shabbos?

salt

Post Sat, Nov 05 2022, 11:15 pm
Which country/city does she live in?
Does she live at home and just want to get away for shabbos, or does she already live in her own apartment.
I live in Jerusalem, and a lot of singles rent apartments with other singles similar to them, and get invited out by friends/neighbours for shabbos meals, or they make a meal themselves and invite others.

amother
Lightcoral

Post Sat, Nov 05 2022, 11:17 pm
If you add where she lives, you might get more results.
I agree that if her home situation isn't good, you might want to encourage her to move out.

amother
OP

Post Sat, Nov 05 2022, 11:18 pm
salt wrote:
Which country/city does she live in?
Does she live at home and just want to get away for shabbos, or does she already live in her own apartment.
I live in Jerusalem, and a lot of singles rent apartments with other singles similar to them, and get invited out by friends/neighbours for shabbos meals, or they make a meal themselves and invite others.

Oh sorry I didn’t include that. She lives in Brooklyn but would travel to anywhere nearby. She’s not living at home right now.

amother
DarkViolet

Post Sat, Nov 05 2022, 11:45 pm
amother OP wrote:
Oh sorry I didn’t include that. She lives in Brooklyn but would travel to anywhere nearby. She’s not living at home right now.

There are no organizations that I know of, per say, though maybe people know of families that are open to inviting others. But I think her best bet is to find other single friends and start inviting them over for meals and/or to sleep--she can make Shabbos. I did this quite a bit as a single on my own. Sure, there were times it was lonely or a bit depressing. But the stress of "finding a place" or worrying about invitations is worse, imo.

Unfortunately, I did know a couple of older single girls who stopped keeping Shabbos because it was too hard (and they are no longer frum).

amother
Oldlace

Post Wed, Nov 16 2022, 8:38 pm
This family has open home hosting ton of people every week 718 419 7034

amother
Apple

Post Wed, Nov 16 2022, 9:57 pm
I used to host many of such singles. Boys and girls. I have a very soft spot for them because I was semi homeless too and promised myself to be there for others. However, over the years it’s become difficult because quite frankly singles don’t comprehend what goes into housekeeping.
I would get requests and cancellations two hours before shabbos etc and then zero thanks or apologies.
Some of them would expect me to be their company the entire shabbos. I treasure my shabbos when I finally have some me time instead of working all week.
Most of them had such a deep feeling of being unwanted that I would extend invite often but actually had to beg beg them to come (cause I knew they wanted to come but felt stupid…) and I’m not a perfect person so I didn’t enjoy the rejection and playing games etc.
There were many other factors that made me stop but these were the ones that popped out of my head now.
If this girl is responsible she is more than welcome to be my guest every other shabbos.

amother
Cognac

Post Wed, Nov 16 2022, 11:37 pm
Would Chabad or a kiruv organization be able to help her find places to stay for Shabbos?

amother
Watermelon

Post Thu, Nov 17 2022, 1:26 am
Would she be open to volunteering? Chai Lifeline is always looking for volunteers to spend Shabbos in the hospital with patients so their families can get a bit of a rest.

Or there are resident homes for people with disabilities that hire people for weekends. She can probably contact Ohel for information about that if she's interested or perhaps some people here from Brooklyn can give you some more info about that.

I obviously don't know her situation, but is there any way she can move out and get an apartment with some frum roommates? Some of my best times as a single woman were hosting Shabbos meals in my own apartment and going out to meals at other friend's apartments. I lived in Washington Heights at the time, but there is a singles community in Brooklyn too as far as I know.

amother
Watermelon

Post Thu, Nov 17 2022, 1:26 am
Duplicate
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note