Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Organizing
No closet space!

amother
OP

Post Wed, Nov 16 2022, 2:58 pm
Moving to an apartment with incredibly limited closet/storage space!

No coat closet. No linen closet.

One bathroom is quite large with a wall that maybe we can put some shelving/closet space. The other rooms are small and will crowd easily.

How can I utilize all the space?

zaq

Post Wed, Nov 16 2022, 4:14 pm
Build UP. Buy storage units or put up shelving units that go all the way up to the ceiling, or as close as you can get.

Downsize. Embrace minimalism to the extent that any frum family can do so. Better to shop and do laundry more often and enjoy more elbow room.

Practice just-in-time inventory management, which is a fancy way of saying buy things when you need them and don't stock up far ahead. (I personally make an exception for toilet paper. I live in illogical fear of running out of this essential commodity and am most comfortable when I have at least 2-3 months' supply.) A helpful device is to mark each package with the date you opened it and see how long it takes to use it up. I've learned, for example, that an 18-ounce bottle of shampoo lasts me at least six months, so there's no reason to buy three or four bottles at a pop.

SuperWify

Post Wed, Nov 16 2022, 4:32 pm
Some ideas:

Get a wardrobe from ikea or the like for coats
Definitely use the bathroom space to put in a small closet
Under bed storage- can be drawers or even just containers under the beds with pjs, towels ect
Tall dressers with lots of drawers space in the bedrooms

amother
Chocolate

Post Wed, Nov 16 2022, 5:24 pm
amother OP wrote:
Moving to an apartment with incredibly limited closet/storage space!

No coat closet. No linen closet.

One bathroom is quite large with a wall that maybe we can put some shelving/closet space. The other rooms are small and will crowd easily.

How can I utilize all the space?

I’d never even consider a place like thag

zaq

Post Wed, Nov 16 2022, 6:29 pm
And how was your response, Chocolate, helpful to OP? She already said she's moving, so it's clearly a done deal.

Few people would lechatchila choose such a space, but sometimes circumstances dictate settling for something less desirable than one might wish. One sets priorities and ranks them. Maybe the closet situation is dreadful but the place is a two-minute amble from everyone's work and school. Or it's enormous, just has no built-in closets. Maybe they literally had to take the first thing they found because their landlord sold the house and the new owner is kicking them out as of this week. Or maybe it's all they can afford. I don't suppose you considered any of those possibilities. Thank the KBH you never had to.

amother
Garnet

Post Wed, Nov 16 2022, 6:33 pm
amother Chocolate wrote:

Never say never

amother
Gray

Post Wed, Nov 16 2022, 6:34 pm
amother Chocolate wrote:

Why is this necessary?
Certainly not helpful at all.

ra_mom

Post Wed, Nov 16 2022, 6:57 pm
At the end of the day you do need closets or else you're going to get overwhelmed with your stuff being all over the place.

You did mention tight spaces so look into the various ikea wardrobe storage systems. Some are quite shallow and don't take up so much floor space, which can be very helpful. You can still fit in a lot very neatly.

The bathroom space does sound like a great solution for linens, towels, cleaning supplies, tissue, paper towel, shampoo storage, etc. Any way to install something with doors or buy a wardrobe storage system with doors for the bathroom?

Hatzlacha Rabba!

SingALong

Post Wed, Nov 16 2022, 7:49 pm
FYI I have a linen closet, and I don’t use it for linen. I only have the sets that go on the bed and that’s it. I only keep a couple of extra sets around in case I need. 1 set for my room is in my closet. 1 set for kids bedroom I keep on top of their closet. Guest room beds have 1 extra set I keep in a pretty bin on the top shelf of their closet. when I change linen it gets washed and put right back onto the bed.

I recommend you downsize with the linen, just have what you need per bed. 1 extra set for kids, 1 extra set for master room. It can be folded on the top shelf one the bedroom it’s meant for or in a bin under the bed.

Towels, consider hooks in the bathroom, and keep each kids towel on a hook. Maybe an over the door towel rack. Or deep shelves above toilet. Like an over the toilet shelf thing or cabinet. Just be sure to secure it to the wall. You can also get freestanding shelves from Amazon for towels, I did that in one bathroom. It’s very pretty in the corner, I easily fit 6 large towels.

As for coats, would you consider a rack of hooks behind the door for the kids to hang up their coats?

Hatzlacha, there are a lot of options out there, you’ll see what works for you.

zaq

Post Wed, Nov 16 2022, 8:28 pm
Go to apartmenttherapy.com. Many of their "articles" are nothing more than thinly-disguised advertising for Ikea, Amazon and other big-name sellers, but you don't have to buy the products they hawk. In fact, you're probably better off not doing do; a lot of them are remarkably UNimpressive, or ok but hardly worth the price. Still, check out their "small spaces" and other organizing articles for ideas. They show some enormously ingenious solutions, many of them DIY . However, in all cases, having fewer possessions is the first step. Plain fact of life, the less space you have, the fewer possessions you can afford to house.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Nov 16 2022, 8:35 pm
ra_mom wrote:
At the end of the day you do need closets or else you're going to get overwhelmed with your stuff being all over the place.

You did mention tight spaces so look into the various ikea wardrobe storage systems. Some are quite shallow and don't take up so much floor space, which can be very helpful. You can still fit in a lot very neatly.

The bathroom space does sound like a great solution for linens, towels, cleaning supplies, tissue, paper towel, shampoo storage, etc. Any way to install something with doors or buy a wardrobe storage system with doors for the bathroom?

Hatzlacha Rabba!

Great idea. Gonna look into ikea.

There’s really enough clothing storage. It’s more about the supplies and linens and coats I’m concerned about.

The master and one other room have a decent amount of closet space. The third room I’m thinking to get a large ikea wardrobe and perhaps another smaller one for the wall in the bathroom… or maybe over the toilet cabinetry…?

I guess we can keep our coats in the bedroom wardrobe. Any suggestions what to do for guests’ coats? Maybe there’s a decorative piece I can put near the front door that doubles as coat hooks.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Nov 16 2022, 8:35 pm
zaq wrote:
Go to apartmenttherapy.com. Many of their "articles" are nothing more than thinly-disguised advertising for Ikea, Amazon and other big-name sellers, but you don't have to buy the products they hawk. In fact, you're probably better off not doing do; a lot of them are remarkably UNimpressive, or ok but hardly worth the price. Still, check out their "small spaces" and other organizing articles for ideas. They show some enormously ingenious solutions, many of them DIY . However, in all cases, having fewer possessions is the first step. Plain fact of life, the less space you have, the fewer possessions you can afford to house.

Gonna look it up! Definitely could use the inspiration. Thanks

amother
OP

Post Wed, Nov 16 2022, 8:38 pm
SingALong wrote:
FYI I have a linen closet, and I don’t use it for linen. I only have the sets that go on the bed and that’s it. I only keep a couple of extra sets around in case I need. 1 set for my room is in my closet. 1 set for kids bedroom I keep on top of their closet. Guest room beds have 1 extra set I keep in a pretty bin on the top shelf of their closet. when I change linen it gets washed and put right back onto the bed.

I recommend you downsize with the linen, just have what you need per bed. 1 extra set for kids, 1 extra set for master room. It can be folded on the top shelf one the bedroom it’s meant for or in a bin under the bed.

Towels, consider hooks in the bathroom, and keep each kids towel on a hook. Maybe an over the door towel rack. Or deep shelves above toilet. Like an over the toilet shelf thing or cabinet. Just be sure to secure it to the wall. You can also get freestanding shelves from Amazon for towels, I did that in one bathroom. It’s very pretty in the corner, I easily fit 6 large towels.

As for coats, would you consider a rack of hooks behind the door for the kids to hang up their coats?

Hatzlacha, there are a lot of options out there, you’ll see what works for you.

Just reading this now. I think you read my mind lol (see my previous posts). Yes gonna see if I can let go of some linen. Honestly, it’s really the huge comforters for guests that are madly annoying!

zaq

Post Wed, Nov 16 2022, 9:41 pm
What does your entryway look like? Consider a wall-mounted coat rack.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/1.....frs=1

If you have the space for one with a shelf above it for hats, so much the better. Or consider a coat tree, which can hang both coats and hats.

I love the thought of a "hall tree"--usually a big mirror on the sides of which are hooks for hanging coats. They sometimes also include an umbrella stand or other features like a drop-leaf desk or a seat, which may or may not hide storage underneath Here's one example, which I think is ug-LEEE but is a good example of the antique of the species:

https://www.etsy.com/listing/1.....-1-10

There are, of course, more modern versions of all these things.

advocate

Post Wed, Nov 16 2022, 9:42 pm
Yes! The maddening volume of extra comforters! This has a solution - vacuum bags! You can buy the real ones with the valves, but you can also get away with the giant ones, zip it almost all the way and then use you vacuum hose to remove the air, and then quickly finish the zip. Not perfect, but cheaper! You will be amazed at how much less space they will take up!

ra_mom

Post Wed, Nov 16 2022, 11:39 pm
amother OP wrote:

There’s really enough clothing storage. It’s more about the supplies and linens and coats I’m concerned about.

The master and one other room have a decent amount of closet space. The third room I’m thinking to get a large ikea wardrobe and perhaps another smaller one for the wall in the bathroom… or maybe over the toilet cabinetry…?

I guess we can keep our coats in the bedroom wardrobe. Any suggestions what to do for guests’ coats? Maybe there’s a decorative piece I can put near the front door that doubles as coat hooks.

Would something like these work, for full coat closet?
https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/b.....5916/

https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/p.....0308/

SuperWify

Post Thu, Nov 17 2022, 4:44 am
amother OP wrote:

You can get a coat stand for everyday coats, briefcases, guests coats ect that are in use every day.

I don’t either have a linen closet. Linen is kept under beds and in the closet shelves.

Get a closet in the bathroom for cleaning supplies and toiletries.

zaq

Post Thu, Nov 17 2022, 11:00 am
All my cleaning supplies are under the kitchen sink. My mops and brooms, sadly, because I have no broom closet ot utility closet, hang on a rack on the kitchen wall. Pretty it ain't, but it works.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics