Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Are you, or do you know a children’s book illustrator?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Thu, Nov 17 2022, 12:28 pm
I’m writing a book for in honor of my special needs child’s bm coming up that I want to mass print and give away for chizuk to other parents in the same situation.

I looked online and got quoted $1500-$3500 Just for illustrations and page formatting and that’s way beyond my budget. Don’t forget I still have to print.

Can anyone guide me with advice on how I could make this more economically? Maybe there’s programs that are easy to use and I could do it myself? Or you know of someone that would love to do it at a discounted rate as chesed for the cause?

Tia

Aurora

Post Thu, Nov 17 2022, 12:33 pm
I do illustration on the side, very selectively. I work full time, small kids, blah blah blah. Hoping to turn it into more of a career when the kids are bigger. If you submit this book to a usual publisher, then they will take care of the illustration.

But, honestly, most illustrators are paying bills. It's not a great paying job and a LOT of time and work goes into the work. Plus materials.

You could look for creative commons images and use that? Or stick figures? Photograph LEGO sets?

gamanit

Post Thu, Nov 17 2022, 12:33 pm
PM me

amother
Seagreen

Post Thu, Nov 17 2022, 12:46 pm
benzi wolrom 972-54-575-2074

mama123

Post Thu, Nov 17 2022, 12:46 pm
You can PM me too.

amother
NeonYellow

Post Thu, Nov 17 2022, 12:47 pm
I know someone who is just starting out and would love such a job and I'm sure she'd give you a good rate. PM me.

Last edited by amother on Thu, Nov 17 2022, 3:20 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Catmint

Post Thu, Nov 17 2022, 1:25 pm
How many illustrations are we talking about? Would the illustrator have to come up with ideas for the illustrations or the type (realistic vs cartoon for example) or would they be following specific instructions from you?

PR6

Post Thu, Nov 17 2022, 1:31 pm
You can PM. I know someone starting her career and is amazing.

amother
Slateblue

Post Thu, Nov 17 2022, 2:13 pm
I know a naturaly talented high schooler who illustrates for all school functions. She has no experience with books. But her pictures are realistic looking, her people have realistic facial expressions. Maybe you could find someone like that. Call a local art class.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Nov 17 2022, 2:21 pm
amother Catmint wrote:
How many illustrations are we talking about? Would the illustrator have to come up with ideas for the illustrations or the type (realistic vs cartoon for example) or would they be following specific instructions from you?

Over 20
I think I would give the ideas but If they had a better one I’d be open to suggestions
Sophisticated Cartoon if that’s a thing.
I guess I would instruct, how else would it work?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Nov 17 2022, 2:22 pm
amother Slateblue wrote:
I know a naturaly talented high schooler who illustrates for all school functions. She has no experience with books. But her pictures are realistic looking, her people have realistic facial expressions. Maybe you could find someone like that. Call a local art class.

Thank You those are good ideas

amother
Coral

Post Thu, Nov 17 2022, 3:42 pm
amother OP wrote:
Over 20
I think I would give the ideas but If they had a better one I’d be open to suggestions
Sophisticated Cartoon if that’s a thing.
I guess I would instruct, how else would it work?

Rikki Benenfeld. She's a author as well
https://instagram.com/giftmeca.....2M2Y=

amother
Kiwi

Post Thu, Nov 17 2022, 3:57 pm
amother Coral wrote:
Rikki Benenfeld. She's a author as well
https://instagram.com/giftmeca.....2M2Y=

Shes a professional illustrator with lots of experience. Good luck getting her to charge so little for "Just for illustrations and page formatting"

By the way OP, "Just for illustrations and page formatting" is a huge job!

amother
Carnation

Post Thu, Nov 17 2022, 4:00 pm
I can do it. I'm a newish digital illustrator so I can give you a good rate, especially as it's going to such a worthy cause. If you use your screen name I'd be happy to PM you and send you samples of my work.
I have experience with page formatting as well

Aurora

Post Thu, Nov 17 2022, 4:01 pm
amother Kiwi wrote:
Shes a proffesional iillustrator with lots of experience. Good luck getting her to charge so little for "Just for illustrations and page formatting"

By the way OP, "Just for illustrations and page formatting" is a huge job!

That's what I think a lot of the other posters here don't seem to understand. This is a request for hours and hours and hours of work - at reduced cost.

I understand that OP wants to do a chessed, but not sure it's right to use this in this manner, especially since many illustrators aren't exactly rolling in money.

amother
Carnation

Post Thu, Nov 17 2022, 4:07 pm
Aurora wrote:
That's what I think a lot of the other posters here don't seem to understand. This is a request for hours and hours and hours of work - at reduced cost.

I understand that OP wants to do a chessed, but not sure it's right to use this in this manner, especially since many illustrators aren't exactly rolling in money.

You are right it does take hours of time. I know from experience.

But right now I have some free time on my hands, so I'm offering to do it.

mammale

Post Thu, Nov 17 2022, 4:18 pm
Hi, I would love to be inolved but do not have the time or experience to take on the project fully. I can draw some of the pictures, but it would be line art, you would need to find someone more skilled to add color and take care of the formating.

Pooh

Post Thu, Nov 17 2022, 6:15 pm
amother Carnation wrote:
I can do it. I'm a newish digital illustrator so I can give you a good rate, especially as it's going to such a worthy cause. If you use your screen name I'd be happy to PM you and send you samples of my work.
I have experience with page formatting as well

I’m op

Pooh

Post Thu, Nov 17 2022, 6:17 pm
mammale wrote:
Hi, I would love to be inolved but do not have the time or experience to take on the project fully. I can draw some of the pictures, but it would be line art, you would need to find someone more skilled to add color and take care of the formating.

I have a cute job for u in the book!! I’m so overwhelmed with emotion that you guys are so willing to help me in this project. Thank You so much. It means so much

Pooh

Post Thu, Nov 17 2022, 6:22 pm
Aurora wrote:

I never meant to diminish the hours of work I’m sure it takes or chas be shalom sound demeaning in any way. Forgive me. You’re 100% right. I’m willing to pay from my own money, fundraise, and have some ideas for people to collaborate so we can make it work but idk the budget yet, could be I’ll raise a lot and pay full price. I just wanted ideas Just in case I don’t come up with a lot.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics