Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Why do pple feel the need to think up a nickname?
Previous  1  2

amother

Post Fri, May 30 2008, 12:13 pm
Ruchel wrote:
-
- because people don't like the name
-

Nothing is firm until the baby is born, since we have the custom not to discuss the name until then, but I have in the back of my mind that most probably if I have a boy he will be named for my grandfather. But I don't love them name, so I think from time to time of what nicknames I might like. What's so wrong with that?

Ruchel

Post Fri, May 30 2008, 12:15 pm
Nothing. It's great to see people who still name for relatives. These days it seems people name either for trend, or for rabbanim, and the traditions die.

flowerpower

Post Fri, May 30 2008, 12:19 pm
The nickname comes with the flow. If your kid is a monkey then you somehow find yourself calling him Curious George. If his name is too long you end find finding a short version.

greenfire

Post Fri, May 30 2008, 3:05 pm
Clarissa wrote:
I agree that nicknames should flow, but I do know some people who make negative choices about nicknames before the kid is born. What I mean is, if someone names their son William and loves the nicknames Will or Willy but hates Bill or Billy, they may want to push it it in the other direction.

ya know - I can see how william turns into willy or billy ... but guys call my sonny boy willy ... hm ... I had to think exactly how yisroel meir became willy ... hm ... Confused

GAMZu

Post Fri, May 30 2008, 4:20 pm
Quote:
Warning: letters like Q, X, Z make it very difficult to find a "normal" middle name

Look at the first ticker in my siggie. Wink Tongue Out

It's funny. Both my boys have 2 names and are named after tzaddikim. But we call them by one of their names, just as the people they are named after were called.
My older one is Meshulem Zusha, and we call him Zusha. But if a stranger asks him his name, he always says Meshulem! I can't understand why. LOL

amother

Post Tue, Jun 03 2008, 4:44 pm
My baby was named for my mother in law. I would never dream of not nameing her after my dh's mother. Regardless os how much I hated the name. The name was really bad and I love interesting, beautiful names. I knew it was going to happen so for 9 months I came up with nicknames. My dauhter has a very original and adorable nickname as do her cousins also named for their bubby!
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics