Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
How long does bedtime routine take?

How long does bedtime routine take? ages 2-8
15-30 minutes  
 39%  [ 33 ]
30-45 minutes  
 22%  [ 19 ]
45 minutes to an hour  
 15%  [ 13 ]
more than an hour  
 22%  [ 19 ]
Total Votes : 84

Flower25

Post Thu, Nov 17 2022, 8:38 pm
I feel like putting my kids to sleep takes forever.. wonder if there is any way it could take quicker.. when I bathe them it takes at least an hour to have everything done, other days it's about 30 minutes. I stand there with them and make sure they do everything, is there an easier way?
When replying. pls add whether it's with or without dh help as this makes a big difference

Beautiful

Post Thu, Nov 17 2022, 10:08 pm
Bedtime routine takes about 45 min-hr from getting the first into PJs til leaving the bedroom. When kids are motivated to put their PJs on it goes a LOT faster but unfortunately it doesn't happen too often. Half an hour winding down/putting on PJs, then kids saying shma, read bedtime story 5-10 min, then play soothing music for 5-10 min. Then I relax in my room.

agreer

Post Fri, Nov 18 2022, 12:55 am
Flower25 wrote:
I feel like putting my kids to sleep takes forever.. wonder if there is any way it could take quicker.. when I bathe them it takes at least an hour to have everything done, other days it's about 30 minutes. I stand there with them and make sure they do everything, is there an easier way?
When replying. pls add whether it's with or without dh help as this makes a big difference

I don't count bath time as part of a bedtime routine, especially since we don't do that every night.

Also...my kids that age love the bath. I consider it playtime and let them have as long as they like, but I start early so it doesn't run into bedtime.

Bedtime routine is this:
Go to bathroom and try to pee (older kids)
Brush teeth, floss (when they let)
Get into PJs and schmooze while putting on the PJs
Give one child his inhaler and a drink
Say Shema
Wait for them to tell me one quick thing
Close lights, blow kisses, say goodnight

That usually takes 15-20 minutes; if they are extra tired, then quicker.

essie14

Post Fri, Nov 18 2022, 3:34 am
I voted more than an hr because I include bath time as part of the nightly routine. No help from DH, he's working at bedtime.

AlwaysGrateful

Post Fri, Nov 18 2022, 4:03 am
Doesn't it also matter how many kids we're talking about?

We read to each kid individually before bed, say shema and sing with each one. If I had one kid in that age range, sure it would only take 15 minutes max for everything. But if you have 4-5 kids, that means you're talking an hour...big difference. Each kid needs a bath, so unless you bathe them together, it can take a way.

We budget about an hour for bedtime, a bit more on bath nights and a bit less on non-bath nights. I never thought it was a long time. We B"H have multiple kids to get to sleep and that's just what early evening is for, in a family with young kids, in my head.

Spaghetti7

Post Fri, Nov 18 2022, 6:47 am
Our bedtimes run from 630-830 because we have 4 kids and they go to bed a half hour apart. This doesn't include bathing time but does include shmoozing time. So starting with the youngest, he goes at 630, lie next to him, shema, sing with him, wait for him to fall asleep. Next youngest, 7pm, same routine. Two bigger kids, one at 730 and one at 8, I sit and shmooze with them for a half hour (they should be getting washed, brushed teeth and in pjs while I'm with the previous kid BEFORE their half-hour starts) and then they go to bed and do their own shema. But because we stagger it (which works MUCH better than trying to put them all to bed in the same room essentially at the same times) it takes 2 hours of just getting it done.

Motherhood

Post Fri, Nov 18 2022, 7:22 am
I’m only busy with bedtime for the 2-5 age. The other ones have a chart with pictures so they know exactly what they need to do (get into pjs, say shema, prepare negel vasser, brush teeth). They all know that if they’re done on time they can either play a game with me or I read them a book. In the meantime, the next dc starts with their bedtime chores.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics