Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Meat
Pastrami roast too salty HELP!

MiracleMama

Post Thu, Nov 17 2022, 9:37 pm
I made three pastrami roasts for a crowd and they are waaaay too salty. My husband tasted a piece and spit it out. It's that salty.

I make this often (buying it raw but pickled) and I know how salty it should be and clearly something went wrong at the pickling stage. (I did everything same as always).

Is there any hope for this meat? Any way to fix this? I really don't want to throw away expensive meat and I really don't want to have to cook something else. I've already cooked and sliced all the meat.

BatyaEsther

Post Thu, Nov 17 2022, 9:43 pm
Can you soak it now to remove some of the salt? And them maybe make a sweet and sour sauce to go with it-which will both hide the wateriness and the overly saltiness?

ra_mom

Post Thu, Nov 17 2022, 9:45 pm
Yes soak it in water and then after slicing use a sauce not the cooking liquid.

MiracleMama

Post Fri, Nov 18 2022, 4:50 am
Thanks. Ok, so I'm going to take it out of the fridge and fill the pans with cold water and I guess change the water a few times to see if it helps.

I'm not usually a fan of dumping sweet sauces onto my meat but in this case I think it will help mask and balance, so if the water alone doesn't do the trick that will be plan b.

Thanks again!

Chayalle

Post Fri, Nov 18 2022, 5:48 am
For future reference, I always rinse off my pastrami roasts before I bake them. I find they have way too much of the spice. It literally fills the drain of my sink with gunk.

MiracleMama

Post Fri, Nov 18 2022, 6:01 am
Chayalle wrote:
For future reference, I always rinse off my pastrami roasts before I bake them. I find they have way too much of the spice. It literally fills the drain of my sink with gunk.

I did rinse them. Very well. And usually this does the trick. I really think these roasts were just way over-salted either in the kashering process or the pickling process.

yachnabobba

Post Fri, Nov 18 2022, 6:05 am
Use apple juice to reheat
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics