Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children
Teenage daughter's hair is thinning

amother
OP

Post Fri, Nov 18 2022, 7:43 am
My 16 year old daughter complains sometimes that her hair falls out when she showers, but that seems normal. Now I'm noticing that her ponytail is a lot thinner than it used to be. (She had A TON of hair)
Should I be worried?

amother
Dandelion

Post Fri, Nov 18 2022, 7:52 am
Do full bloodwork and speak to a dermatologist.
I have alopecia and my hair started thinning at around 15. By the time I started dating, I had to use products (Toppik and Couvre) to make my hair appear thicker.
At this point, I would have to wear a wig even if I wasn't married.

Amelia Bedelia

Post Fri, Nov 18 2022, 9:44 am
Had that last year with my DD. It was caused by stress and it's slowly growing back in. Alopecia would have coin-shaped bald spots, while regular hair loss would present as thinning.
See a dermatologist.

amother
Sapphire

Post Fri, Nov 18 2022, 9:48 am
I'll echo to do a workup at the dermatologist. If it is falling out in the natural order of family history, there are remedies like minoxidil that will keep it from falling out (but it you stop the minoxidil, whatever it held back from falling out will then fall out (not more so it's not like you'll lose out). You need to be careful not to have it drip to forehead where you don't want extra hair to grow. )

amother
Cyan

Post Fri, Nov 18 2022, 9:55 am
amother Sapphire wrote:
I'll echo to do a workup at the dermatologist. If it is falling out in the natural order of family history, there are remedies like minoxidil that will keep it from falling out (but it you stop the minoxidil, whatever it held back from falling out will then fall out (not more so it's not like you'll lose out). You need to be careful not to have it drip to forehead where you don't want extra hair to grow. )

Minoxidil should not be used for childbearing women.

amother
Butterscotch

Post Fri, Nov 18 2022, 10:01 am
Washing her hair less often (if possible) could make a difference, as well as using a natural shampoo.

fiji

Post Fri, Nov 18 2022, 11:04 am
Could be a sign of PCOS

amother
Lightyellow

Post Fri, Nov 18 2022, 11:13 am
My first thought is nutritional deficiency. Is she eating well? Does she have any digestive issues? Growth issues? I'm sorry to ask, could there possibly be an eating disorder? These are all related to nutritional deficiency which can lead to hair loss.

Otherwise
Pcos
Hypothyroidism
Lack of vitamin d
Chemicals such as in shampoo

amother
Papaya

Post Fri, Nov 18 2022, 11:14 am
Is she using any of these things too often?
Hair Iron
Blowdrier
curling iron

Might be causing it

amother
Lotus

Post Fri, Nov 18 2022, 12:02 pm
Did she have covid recently? People had this for months post covid ...

amother
Sapphire

Post Fri, Nov 18 2022, 2:13 pm
amother Cyan wrote:
Minoxidil should not be used for childbearing women.

Minoxidil is the generic of Rogaine. Derm offered brand name Rogaine to 16 year old dd. She's considering it.

But she first asked about covid history, family history, did an exam of scalp, spoke about amounts normal vs not.

amother
Sapphire

Post Fri, Nov 18 2022, 2:16 pm
amother Butterscotch wrote:
Washing her hair less often (if possible) could make a difference, as well as using a natural shampoo.

This is not true. Ask the dermatologist. If you wash daily, regular amount comes out. If you wash every other day, double of that daily amount of hair comes out every other day. Same difference. You decide when you want to wash hair.

amother
Honeysuckle

Post Fri, Nov 18 2022, 2:31 pm
It's normal after a virus. My DD lost a lot of her hair after she had Fifth Disease. My hair thinned terribly after Covid.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children