Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Salads & Dips
Sesame Asparagus And Carrot Chop

Amarante

Post Fri, Nov 18 2022, 3:17 pm
This was quite good. I wasn't sure whether the asparagus was meant to be raw. I have never eaten raw asparagus so I steamed the asparagus slightly so that they were very very - very al dente and that seemed to work as one would want them to remain crisp instead of soft and mushy

Sesame Asparagus And Carrot Chop

Excerpt From: Deb Perelman - Smitten Kitchen Keepers

When I cannot bear winter produce for one minute longer, this is the salad I make. It’s a vividly colored crunchy, nutty, and spicy mix of asparagus, carrots, and avocado, springlike vegetables that, rather conveniently in a place where “spring” vegetables may not emerge from the soil until spring is two-thirds over, taste pretty great from the produce we find at the grocery store. I know that mayo is a highly controversial ingredient, but mayo seasoned with toasted sesame oil and soy sauce is a whole other thing, a thing I refuse to believe anyone wouldn’t want to lick from a spoon. It’s rivetingly good. Here, it dresses the crunchy vegetables and rich cubes of avocado in a way that lightly coats them but, I promise, doesn’t scream “mayo salad” in any way. This is one of my favorite lunch salads, and you should not believe the serving suggestion at all: the recipe is just for you.”

Serves 2 or 3, ostensibly

½ pound (225 grams) asparagus (½ bundle)
½ pound (225 grams) slim carrots, mixed-color if you can find them (about 1 bundle)”
2 tablespoons (30 grams) unseasoned rice vinegar
Kosher salt
2 tablespoons (25 grams) mayonnaise
2 teaspoons toasted sesame oil
2 teaspoons sriracha
2 teaspoons low-sodium soy sauce
1 large firm-ripe avocado, diced
Toasted black and/or white sesame seeds, for garnish

Hold the asparagus by the tough end (no need to snap it off) and carrots by the stem end, and cut each diagonally into thin slices. Place these in a large bowl, and dress with rice vinegar and a few pinches of salt.

Combine the mayonnaise, sesame oil, sriracha, and soy sauce in a small bowl, whisking until smooth.

When you’re ready to eat the salad, add the dressing to the asparagus and carrots, and stir to coat evenly. Add the diced avocado, and gently fold it in. Taste for seasoning, and add salt and more sriracha to your liking. Finish with the sesame seeds.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics