Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Is it time to give up nursing? Update *last update*
1  2  3  4  Next

Ema of 5

Post Sat, Nov 19 2022, 8:31 pm
My baby is BH almost two weeks old. He had a tongue tie snipped the day before his bris. Since day one, he has had a latching issue. His bottom lip is dented in, and he has a hard time latching properly. I thought maybe it would get better after the snip, but it has t helped. He’s only a week and a half old, maybe it will just take time. Is it worth it to push through and keep nursing, or should I just say enough is enough and move to bottles?
I am in the “fed is best” camp. I’ve nursed anywhere from 4 months to 3.5 years, and I don’t feel pressure to nurse if it’s not the right thing for him/us. I just don’t know how to determine what’s right or not…..

Last edited by Ema of 5 on Tue, Jan 03 2023, 11:42 pm; edited 3 times in total

amother
Khaki

Post Sat, Nov 19 2022, 8:34 pm
I would try one or two sessions with a lactation consultant and then if you're still stuck switch to bottles.

amother
Brass

Post Sat, Nov 19 2022, 8:34 pm
I think it depends on how much koach you have to deal with it. Do you feel up to continuing, or is it taking too much out of you? That’s how I always decide. A sane mommy is a better mommy.

amother
Oleander

Post Sat, Nov 19 2022, 9:27 pm
How do you know that bottles are going to be easier? Please see an ENT to figure out what else ks going on structurally.

amother
Pear

Post Sat, Nov 19 2022, 9:30 pm
My first latched after 6 weeks. But I don’t know if I could have done the exclusive pumping for that long if I had other kids running around…

amother
Ivory

Post Sat, Nov 19 2022, 9:33 pm
I would give up and just do bottles. Not worth my sanity.

amother
Seagreen

Post Sat, Nov 19 2022, 9:36 pm
Have you checked for cheek tie or lip tie? I had a lactation consultant check my baby last week and she pointed out a lip tie that could be corrected. BH her latch got better without doing anything but I wonder if it's worth checking?

keeptrying

Post Sat, Nov 19 2022, 9:36 pm
Personally, would probably give up.

Ema of 5

Post Sat, Nov 19 2022, 9:41 pm
amother Oleander wrote:
How do you know that bottles are going to be easier? Please see an ENT to figure out what else ks going on structurally.

I already went to the ent.

Ema of 5

Post Sat, Nov 19 2022, 9:41 pm
amother Pear wrote:
My first latched after 6 weeks. But I don’t know if I could have done the exclusive pumping for that long if I had other kids running around…

I don’t get anything from pumping :-(

Ema of 5

Post Sat, Nov 19 2022, 9:44 pm
amother Seagreen wrote:
Have you checked for cheek tie or lip tie? I had a lactation consultant check my baby last week and she pointed out a lip tie that could be corrected. BH her latch got better without doing anything but I wonder if it's worth checking?

The ent said his lip tie is insignificant and isn’t affecting his latch. I know his bottom lip is an issue, because I watch him while he’s trying to latch, and I also FEEL that he’s not latching properly.

amother
Ginger

Post Sat, Nov 19 2022, 9:57 pm
I would give up. You have 4 other kids who need you also.

amother
Pear

Post Sat, Nov 19 2022, 9:57 pm
Ema of 5 wrote:
I don’t get anything from pumping :-(

Try wearing a haaka pump while you go about your day. One on each breast. They don’t hurt and they’re amazing.

amother
Amaryllis

Post Sat, Nov 19 2022, 10:09 pm
Def work w a lactation consultant if you can find one. They have exercises you can do for their mouths also which help. Like you can stroke his chin to get him to open his mouth, squeeze his cheeks, open his top lip once he's latched to widen the latch, etc. The hump of the first 6-8 weeks is extremely brutal. if it can get better and will it could be great for longer-term. It is really extremely hard tho. I'm also fed is best and have bottle fed formula exclusively as well as nursed depending on each kid's need. All the brochos that you get the help you need! Feel good

amother
Cyclamen

Post Sat, Nov 19 2022, 10:09 pm
With today's prices of formula I'd continue trying.
See another ENT. And yes, see a lactation. Maybe the lip tie is a thing. Or the snip wasn't deep enough.

mushkamothers

Post Sat, Nov 19 2022, 10:23 pm
Ema of 5 wrote:
The ent said his lip tie is insignificant and isn’t affecting his latch. I know his bottom lip is an issue, because I watch him while he’s trying to latch, and I also FEEL that he’s not latching properly.

In my experience ENT are actually useless when it comes to this. 2 top ones totally dismissed the tie in my baby who today is 3 and has tons of mouth and speech issues directly caused by his ties.

You need to see a very good lactation who "believes" in tongue ties. And after getting it snipped did you do any exercises to make sure it doesn't reattach?

Ema of 5

Post Sat, Nov 19 2022, 10:34 pm
The tongue tie was already snipped. His top lip is latching properly, it’s his bottom lip that isn’t. I will call a LC in the morning, and see what she says. BH my other kids are in school all day, so I really have time to focus on him without taking away from anyone else.
And I am doing the exercises as best as I can, I hope it doesn’t grow back. He doesn’t really like me putting my finger in his mouth…..

Last edited by Ema of 5 on Sat, Nov 19 2022, 10:36 pm; edited 1 time in total

penguin

Post Sat, Nov 19 2022, 10:35 pm
If you have a local cranio-sacral practitioner, they can often help.

amother
Eggshell

Post Sat, Nov 19 2022, 10:35 pm
I started feeding therapy a month ago for my now six month old. She was only latching in cradle hold on one side and the other shed only latch in football hold. Her right check muscles are weak and top lip muscle is tight so it wouldn’t flair / flange well. We are seeing tremendous improvement and miraculous. I had just about given up - lactation consultant, cranio sacral therapy, physical therapy cuz maybe torticolis was causing it, 2 pediatricians later we finally got to feeding therapy!! If you’re determined to make it work I highly recommend seeing if feeding therapy could help you baby.

If you’re in Lakewood I can recommend someone

amother
Glitter

Post Sat, Nov 19 2022, 11:34 pm
amother Eggshell wrote:
I started feeding therapy a month ago for my now six month old. She was only latching in cradle hold on one side and the other shed only latch in football hold. Her right check muscles are weak and top lip muscle is tight so it wouldn’t flair / flange well. We are seeing tremendous improvement and miraculous. I had just about given up - lactation consultant, cranio sacral therapy, physical therapy cuz maybe torticolis was causing it, 2 pediatricians later we finally got to feeding therapy!! If you’re determined to make it work I highly recommend seeing if feeding therapy could help you baby.

If you’re in Lakewood I can recommend someone

I'm in Lakewood. Can you please share which feeding therapist can help with this? Thx!
Page 1 of 4 1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics