Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Is it time to give up nursing? Update *last update*
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

amother
Eggshell

Post Sat, Nov 19 2022, 8:35 pm
amother Glitter wrote:
I'm in Lakewood. Can you please share which feeding therapist can help with this? Thx!

I’m using Jen Kus at childrens specialized hospital

Ema of 5

Post Sat, Nov 19 2022, 8:54 pm
amother Eggshell wrote:
I started feeding therapy a month ago for my now six month old. She was only latching in cradle hold on one side and the other shed only latch in football hold. Her right check muscles are weak and top lip muscle is tight so it wouldn’t flair / flange well. We are seeing tremendous improvement and miraculous. I had just about given up - lactation consultant, cranio sacral therapy, physical therapy cuz maybe torticolis was causing it, 2 pediatricians later we finally got to feeding therapy!! If you’re determined to make it work I highly recommend seeing if feeding therapy could help you baby.

If you’re in Lakewood I can recommend someone

I’m not in Lakewood I’m in nyc, but this is good to know, thank you!!

amother
Eggshell

Post Sat, Nov 19 2022, 8:57 pm
Ema of 5 wrote:
I’m not in Lakewood I’m in nyc, but this is good to know, thank you!!

What I learned from this whole ordeal is that

A- you are your child’s best and only advocate
B- not always is a lactation consultant the answer to nursing issues

I’m so glad I pursued the feeding therapy route even when I was almost sure it wouldn’t help just like everything else I tried. I finally can nurse comfortably!

What you’re describing really sounds similar. Maybe someone can suggest a feeding therapist in NYC.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Sat, Nov 19 2022, 9:11 pm
Throwing it out there: have you been doing any stretches/exercises with your baby post revision?

amother
Glitter

Post Sat, Nov 19 2022, 9:13 pm
amother Eggshell wrote:
I’m using Jen Kus at childrens specialized hospital

Thanx!

amother
Navyblue

Post Sat, Nov 19 2022, 9:22 pm
He needs all ties lasered with a very literate provider plus Craniosacral or body work to make sure they don’t reattach

scintilla

Post Sat, Nov 19 2022, 10:08 pm
Only two weeks, I would definitely keep trying!! At this stage in the game it is worth an investment in the next few weeks to really give it your all to try make it work, and I say that as someone who has never nursed past 4 months with giving it my absolute best shot each time. Bottle feeding has its own set of difficulties, especially if the tie is really the issue here.

Most importantly: get a *really* good lactation consultant.

Also, is the ent you used known to be one that is very experienced with tongue ties?

amother
Seablue

Post Sat, Nov 19 2022, 10:14 pm
I had my baby's tongue and lip ties lasered at a little over 2 weeks old. I didn't see instant results but after a week or two the difference was obvious. You said your baby was snipped, I don't know if you mean that literally (cut vs laser) but if you do, I'd take baby to a more experience person with tongue tie revisions and see if it was done completely, and get the lip taken care of too.

Chana Miriam S

Post Sat, Nov 19 2022, 10:14 pm
Edited bc I googled

Last edited by Chana Miriam S on Sat, Nov 19 2022, 10:39 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Lily

Post Sat, Nov 19 2022, 10:20 pm
My friends baby was in nicu about first 2 weeks. When baby finally came home it didnt wanna be breast fed. After snipping baby was a bit better but then refused her again. Several weeks later together with feeding therapists, cranial and LC, babys bh nursing fine.
Dont give up.

amother
Sunflower

Post Sat, Nov 19 2022, 10:56 pm
My daughter took a little while to latch "normally," but was eating enough and producing enough wet diapers. Is your baby getting enough at feedings?

Ema of 5

Post Sun, Nov 20 2022, 2:08 am
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
Throwing it out there: have you been doing any stretches/exercises with your baby post revision?

Yes, I’ve been doing the exercises the ent told me to do.

Ema of 5

Post Sun, Nov 20 2022, 2:11 am
amother Sunflower wrote:
My daughter took a little while to latch "normally," but was eating enough and producing enough wet diapers. Is your baby getting enough at feedings?

That’s my concern- that he’s not getting enough. He is having wet and dirty diapers, but does that mean that he’s getting as much nutrition as he needs?

amother
Pistachio

Post Sun, Nov 20 2022, 2:12 am
Ema of 5 wrote:
My baby is BH almost two weeks old. He had a tongue tie snipped the day before his bris. Since day one, he has had a latching issue. His bottom lip is dented in, and he has a hard time latching properly. I thought maybe it would get better after the snip, but it has t helped. He’s only a week and a half old, maybe it will just take time. Is it worth it to push through and keep nursing, or should I just say enough is enough and move to bottles?
I am in the “fed is best” camp. I’ve nursed anywhere from 4 months to 3.5 years, and I don’t feel pressure to nurse if it’s not the right thing for him/us. I just don’t know how to determine what’s right or not…..

Sounds exactly like what I went through with my child too.

Ask yourself

How efficiently can he suck? Is it painful for me?
Most importantly is he gaining weight through nursing or only with bottles?

amother
Crimson

Post Sun, Nov 20 2022, 2:19 am
Ema of 5 wrote:
That’s my concern- that he’s not getting enough. He is having wet and dirty diapers, but does that mean that he’s getting as much nutrition as he needs?

Yes if he was dehydrated he would have blood in diaper and not be pooping and peeing alot

amother
Sunflower

Post Sun, Nov 20 2022, 2:20 am
Ema of 5 wrote:

As long as he's gaining weight, and producing enough wet/dirty diapers, yes! Don't overthink it. I stressed so much about the proper latch and it was just baby needing to figure it out. Especially so early on.

WitchKitty

Post Sun, Nov 20 2022, 2:20 am
Mine had a tongue and lip tie that was snipped at 10 days.
I tried LCs. I gave up when he turned 2 months. I was pumping and bottle feeding him because he wouldn't latch, and I didn't have enough anyway..
I was much happier and calmer when I stopped.
Otoh, today I'm happy I gave him 2 full months of milk.
It depends on you and your sanity...

Ema of 5

Post Sun, Nov 20 2022, 5:52 am
amother Sunflower wrote:
As long as he's gaining weight, and producing enough wet/dirty diapers, yes! Don't overthink it. I stressed so much about the proper latch and it was just baby needing to figure it out. Especially so early on.

Can he be producing wet and dirty diapers and not be gaining enough?

amother
Brickred

Post Sun, Nov 20 2022, 5:53 am
Mine also wouldn't latch. They told me he had a tight tongue but not exactly a tongue tie. Not sure what the difference is. I tried lactation consultant. I tried a feeding therapist.
I ended up pumping and giving bottles but also determined to have him nurse. So I'd nurse him once or twice a day even with a bad latch and the rest of the feedings was pumped milk in bottles. Today he is 4 months and I pump full time and give bottles because that's his preference now. He's getting my milk but in a way where he can eat it. If your not getting anything while pumping keep trying. It took me 2 weeks to build up to the point where I could pump out a full feeding. In the beginning it was just a few drops.
I wouldn't give up just yet. 2 weeks is so little !

amother
Eggshell

Post Sun, Nov 20 2022, 6:32 am
Ema of 5 wrote:
Can he be producing wet and dirty diapers and not be gaining enough?

Yes I think so
Page 2 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics