Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Simcha Section
Unpopular opinion: you don’t need your makeup done
1  2  3  4  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, Nov 20 2022, 11:33 am
If you’re not the mother or sister of the bride and groom, and just a regular wedding guest, you don’t need your makeup done. Heavy makeup is for the pictures. Up close it doesn’t look great.

Feel free to send tomatoes my way.

4g01o

Post Sun, Nov 20 2022, 11:34 am
You can do it yourself just as heavy anyway,if that's the look someone likes Smile

hodeez

Post Sun, Nov 20 2022, 11:36 am
Not everyone knows how to do their own makeup. I'm assuming they'd rather pay to get it done than come to the wedding with raccoon eyes and blackface foundation

Goody2shoes

Post Sun, Nov 20 2022, 11:38 am
Reminds me of the arguments we would have about who needs to get their hair done for weddings.

amother
Oldlace

Post Sun, Nov 20 2022, 11:40 am
I don't get my makeup done in order for it to be heavy. That I can do on my own. I do it so that it lasts. My makeup when I do it on my own doesn't last through so many hours and through the sweat of dancing. OTOH, when I get it done professionally for a wedding, I often don't need to reapply for the next night sheva brachos.

amother
Bottlebrush

Post Sun, Nov 20 2022, 11:44 am
Fortunately heavy makeup is out of style and natural face with some glam is in.

Unfortunately for the professional MUA’s it’s not good for business.

amother
Whitewash

Post Sun, Nov 20 2022, 11:49 am
amother Bottlebrush wrote:
Fortunately heavy makeup is out of style and natural face with some glam is in.

Unfortunately for the professional MUA’s it’s not good for business.

Don’t worry lol the muas are doing justttt fine.

amother
Goldenrod

Post Sun, Nov 20 2022, 11:50 am
I thought you were going to say nobody needs makeup done, including sisters and mothers. (I do agree bride should have it done)

Honestly for me the hours and hours of make up and hair really did not enhance my daughters wedding day.

I would never get it done for anyone elses wedding! I do invest in good quality makeup though and (I think) I can apply it pretty well.

I really do not know what MUAs use that makes it last longer, are they using speciality products???

amother
Daisy

Post Sun, Nov 20 2022, 11:53 am
amother Oldlace wrote:
I don't get my makeup done in order for it to be heavy. That I can do on my own. I do it so that it lasts. My makeup when I do it on my own doesn't last through so many hours and through the sweat of dancing. OTOH, when I get it done professionally for a wedding, I often don't need to reapply for the next night sheva brachos.

Why are you not showering and washing your face after being at a wedding?

Fox

Post Sun, Nov 20 2022, 12:02 pm
"Stage makeup" for simchas was largely a function of the technological limitations of photography.

Today, the cameras on Smartphones leave old cameras in the dust. Inexpensive photo editing software makes perfect pictures easy.

If you don't normally wear makeup and want to be sure it's perfect, go ahead. But it's no longer needed for great pictures.

amother
Watermelon

Post Sun, Nov 20 2022, 12:10 pm
Can we get started on why siblings of the kallah need to get their faces done for a vort??

I arrived to my sister in laws vort and couldn't stop blinking!!!
Maybe I'm not the one to talk cuz I do my face nicely and didn't it myself for my vort...

amother
OP

Post Sun, Nov 20 2022, 12:29 pm
Another unpopular opinion: those fake lashes look really really weird.

#BestBubby

Post Sun, Nov 20 2022, 12:37 pm
Better to go to make up artist to teach you how to apply make up yourself.

It's not rocket science.

I read non Jewish magazine articles on applying make up. Today you can learn on youtube.

People ask me "who did your makeup?" Because it looks professional..

Last edited by #BestBubby on Sun, Nov 20 2022, 1:29 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Nemesia

Post Sun, Nov 20 2022, 12:52 pm
I never knew other people besides family get makeup done for weddings

amother
Antiquewhite

Post Sun, Nov 20 2022, 12:56 pm
amother OP wrote:
If you’re not the mother or sister of the bride and groom, and just a regular wedding guest, you don’t need your makeup done. Heavy makeup is for the pictures. Up close it doesn’t look great.

I agree but some people love to know they’re doing what’s trendy even if it doesn’t look as good

amother
Lemonchiffon

Post Sun, Nov 20 2022, 12:57 pm
I don’t know how to do my make up because I don’t wear it often, so I get it done for simchos. I tell them to make it look like I did it myself and they do a light natural job. Newsflash: just because you get it done professionally doesn’t mean you have to be over done.

BaltoMom65

Post Sun, Nov 20 2022, 1:02 pm
amother OP wrote:

I've never heard of a guest or not immediate family getting professional makeup done

amother
White

Post Sun, Nov 20 2022, 1:02 pm
amother OP wrote:
Another unpopular opinion: those fake lashes look really really weird.

They look like reckons some like wings

amother
Oldlace

Post Sun, Nov 20 2022, 1:06 pm
amother Daisy wrote:
Why are you not showering and washing your face after being at a wedding?

I never wash my face. If I want to remove makeup, I apply jojoba oil. I hate the feeling of my face being stripped dry like I do at the mikva.

amother
Begonia

Post Sun, Nov 20 2022, 1:13 pm
I married into a family where every aunt/cousin/Kallah maidel gets full hair and makeup for every simcha. I’m just sitting here like who has the time and money for all that???

When my friends started getting married, I spent all of my free time for maybe a week watching different videos and trying different makeup techniques. I can do my own makeup in 30min if I’m going all out, 15 if I’m less concerned. No way am I shlepping to a mua to pay at least $100 while she has to figure out my color palette and tastes several times a year
Page 1 of 4 1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics