Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Soup
Thick chicken soup

mom13

Post Tue, Jun 03 2008, 12:42 pm
I was once at a Bar Mitzvah and they had this delicious thick chiken soup. it was soo good. anyone have a recipe for this?

lamplighter

Post Tue, Jun 03 2008, 5:26 pm
was it cream of chicken soup?

AGINY

Post Tue, Jun 03 2008, 6:24 pm
would adding corn starch mixed into cold water and then stirred into the soup do the job?

ClaRivka

Post Tue, Jun 03 2008, 6:45 pm
to make it thick you make a roux- a mixture of fat (margarine, oil) with flour. you stir it in the pot til its brow and then go on with the recipe.
You can do it with any soup.

I guess going to culinary school was good for something!!!!!

myfriends715

Post Tue, Jun 03 2008, 6:47 pm
noo dont add any cornstarch..... I make a thick chicken soup for shabbos..
heres what you need
1 chicken cut into 4s or 8ths
3 squash (zuccini)
4 soup carrots
1 large parsnip
3 stalks celery
1 whole large onion

peel vegies and clean chicken put together in a pot and boil.. after they all boil add the following a bit of salt and pepper, Onion soup mix, consomme soup mix, and veggie soup mix (abt 3-4 Tbs each) I just wing it by now.. some garlic (I usually throw in 2-3 frozen cubes and lower flame.. let cook for another hr and take out onion and discard (if ledt in it makes soup taste a bit weird for leftovers) let simmer another 3 hrs or so (mix often as it gets thick) all the viggies will begin to disintigrate and so will the chicken... its yummy my guests are never diappointed.. let me know how it came out

Cdlf

Post Tue, Jun 03 2008, 7:12 pm
I have 2 versions:
cook some rice with a little more water than needed. Add to chicken stock and blend very well. I float some pieces of chicken and baby peas, or sliced carrots for color.
Make a roux, equal parts oil or margarine and flour, then add soup, let it come to a siimer while mixing well. Add 1/2 cup non dairy creamer or soy milk, come to a boil.

AGINY

Post Tue, Jun 03 2008, 7:36 pm
myfriends715 wrote:
heres what you need
3 squash (zuccini)
4 soup carrots
1 large parsnip
3 stalks celery
1 whole large onion

peel vegies and clean chicken put together in a pot and boil.. after they all boil add the following a bit of salt and pepper, Onion soup mix, consomme soup mix, and veggie soup mix (abt 3-4 Tbs each) I just wing it by now.. some garlic (I usually throw in 2-3 frozen cubes and lower flame.. let cook for another hr and take out onion and discard (if ledt in it makes soup taste a bit weird for leftovers) let simmer another 3 hrs or so (mix often as it gets thick) all the viggies will begin to disintigrate and so will the chicken... its yummy my guests are never diappointed.. let me know how it came out

Isn't it a shame to spoil the goodness of great fresh chicken soup with so much soup mix? I never understood that concept. chicken soup is so tasty and delicious without soup mix, why is it necessary?

myfriends715

Post Tue, Jun 03 2008, 7:38 pm
AGINY wrote:
myfriends715 wrote:
heres what you need
3 squash (zuccini)
4 soup carrots
1 large parsnip
3 stalks celery
1 whole large onion

Isn't it a shame to spoil the goodness of great fresh chicken soup with so much soup mix? I never understood that concept. chicken soup is so tasty and delicious without soup mix, why is it necessary?

you can put less.. I have done it, it still comes out thick but I happen to like the flavor w/ the mixes.. but you can do w/o

myfriends715

Post Tue, Jun 03 2008, 7:39 pm
AGINY wrote:
myfriends715 wrote:
heres what you need
3 squash (zuccini)
4 soup carrots
1 large parsnip
3 stalks celery
1 whole large onion

you can put less.. I have done it, it still comes out thick but I happen to like the flavor w/ the mixes.. but you can do w/o

yummydd

Post Tue, Jun 03 2008, 9:00 pm
this is my recipe for creamed chicken soup:

I havnt made it for a while so I hope that I didnt leave out anything but you can make up what you wanna add, just dont add and carrots or orange coloured veggies because when u blend you dont want it that colour

Chicken (and bones in a net bag if you want)
any other meat like turkey necks etc

squash
onion
celery-optional
leek-optional

whatever spices you usually put

cook chicken with veggies for about 2 hours,
then take out chicken and bones and blend the soup with the veggies
pick little pieces of chicken and put back into soup

let it cook for another while and you get a creamy soup with little pieces of chicken floating in it thats how the caterers serve it!

Beauty and the Beast

Post Tue, Jun 03 2008, 11:54 pm
I make this when I have leftover soup after shabbos.

I fry onions, I make a roux, mince the pieces of chicken I have left, and add it to the roux.
then I add whatever soup I have left, with some more water. If I have veggies left, I either leave them whole, or blend them into the soup.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics