Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene
Sick in bed, need company. Say Hi!
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next

4g01o

Post Thu, Jul 14 2022, 11:51 pm
amother [ Eggplant ] wrote:
I wouldn't say that. I live in London and have always had ac and I use it often every summer, definitely more than just 1 week. I wouldn't call the rest of the summer comfortable, it's either humid, too cold for summer clothes, or raining lol
People have been putting in air conditioning in the last 15-20 years or so, before that it really was unheard of. But yes I still know plenty people without ac.
Central air con in homes isn't such a thing here unless its a new build, most people have units for each / some rooms, or a portable air con. Window units don't seem to exist here at all I've only ever seen it in Israel, I'm not sure why.

My American friend, who lives here has a window unit. She bought it on ebay, used for £150. She said it does the job so might be worth having a look if any of you get desperate.

Another mom

Post Fri, Jul 15 2022, 1:13 am
Hi-- I hope that you are feeling much better!
Have a Shabbat Shalom!!!

amother
SandyBrown

Post Fri, Jul 15 2022, 4:00 am
Fab4 wrote:
The summers here are mostly nice and comfortable bH, but our £1600 air con unit, whilst a lot of money, is worth every penny and used tons in the summer. We have it on a timer for shabbos if we know it'll be hot.

People just can't afford it, they say they'll manage for the few hot days here and there. Everyone has AC in their cars though.
All the stores have so people do get a break from the heat if they need. Or they sit in their cars lol!

Umm no, not everyone does...

But I cant just hang out at a supermarket all day.
Any other ideas where to go?

4g01o

Post Fri, Jul 15 2022, 4:06 am
amother [ SandyBrown ] wrote:

Sorry, I thought that everyone had in their car because it gets like a furnace even in 20 odd degree weather.

Do you have any friends or family with AC at home that you can hang out with?
I feel for you, it's very hard.

amother
Eggplant

Post Fri, Jul 15 2022, 4:10 am
amother [ SandyBrown ] wrote:

How about a hotel lobby? You can go to one that is fairly busy so noone will take much notice of you sitting
Do any of your neighbours or friends have ac?
Go for brunch and supper to a restaurant?
Take an uber there and back?
I realise these suggestions aren't necessarily cheap or comfortable, I'm sorry

amother
Eggplant

Post Fri, Jul 15 2022, 4:12 am
Fab4 wrote:
Sorry, I thought that everyone had in their car because it gets like a furnace even in 20 odd degree weather.

Do you have any friends or family with AC at home that you can hang out with?
I feel for you, it's very hard.

If someone's car is older and the ac stops functioning, it costs alot to fix, and not always can it be fixed so the money goes down the drain. Btdt.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Nov 20 2022, 4:03 pm
Hi everyone!
Sick again Sad
Just a really bad cold, but enough to knock me out.
I found this old thread and read through most of it and laughed all over!
No need for air conditioning now, it's freezing outside!
My kids have been running in and out of the house all day, I don't understand how they don't mind the cold, and they keep leaving the back door open and freezing up the house!

Feeling bored and useless again...

amother
Tuberose

Post Sun, Nov 20 2022, 4:26 pm
Also sick but not in bed...a mommy never gets a break from her job lol how do u all function while feeling under the weather?

I made sure my house is organized everything back into place from shabbos. Laundry. Cooked supper and my kids are home...I feel like going under my blanket!

amother
Magenta

Post Sun, Nov 20 2022, 4:27 pm
Wishing you a Refuah Sheleima !

amother
OP

Post Sun, Nov 20 2022, 4:30 pm
amother Tuberose wrote:
Also sick but not in bed...a mommy never gets a break from her job lol how do u all function while feeling under the weather?

I made sure my house is organized everything back into place from shabbos. Laundry. Cooked supper and my kids are home...I feel like going under my blanket!

Not quite in bed this time either. It's Sunday!
But been spending most of my time on the couch...
My kids have been in and out of the house, entertaining themselves, now they're at a neighbor.
Laundry can wait, supper is leftovers.
Organizing? Not on the agenda!

amother
Lime

Post Sun, Nov 20 2022, 4:33 pm
how do you plan on vacationing tomorrow (when all kids out of the house)

Chickensoupprof

Post Sun, Nov 20 2022, 4:36 pm
I've been ill since Thursday and I'm coughing really hard now it's literally hurting now my sternum I have inhalers but now I'm just ugh... My dad had his birthday today and my mum said I should stay home because I'm also pregnant and because of that already short of breath and my mum says I need to rest but it is boring... I stayed home Friday en Saturday the whole day I walked around the block today but really I feel weak... And I cough and yuk...

amother
OP

Post Sun, Nov 20 2022, 4:39 pm
amother Lime wrote:
how do you plan on vacationing tomorrow (when all kids out of the house)

Vacationing? Very Happy
Either I'm going to work, or if I'm too sick to work I'll be home feeling sick! No vacation there!

amother
OP

Post Sun, Nov 20 2022, 4:40 pm
Chickensoupprof wrote:
I've been ill since Thursday and I'm coughing really hard now it's literally hurting now my sternum I have inhalers but now I'm just ugh... My dad had his birthday today and my mum said I should stay home because I'm also pregnant and because of that already short of breath and my mum says I need to rest but it is boring... I stayed home Friday en Saturday the whole day I walked around the block today but really I feel weak... And I cough and yuk...

Oy refuah sheleima!!

amother
Lime

Post Sun, Nov 20 2022, 4:44 pm
amother OP wrote:
Vacationing? Very Happy
Either I'm going to work, or if I'm too sick to work I'll be home feeling sick! No vacation there!

sorry for being so tough was just trying to show the bright side of not going to work (if not feeling well) and not having anyone home sorry for not being more sympathetic and understanding how you feel

amother
Oleander

Post Sun, Nov 20 2022, 4:44 pm
I don’t want to “one-up” you OP, but seriously how do you all function when you’re sick and your kids are sick??
My baby and I are both sick and I seriously can’t manage. He’s so cranky, it’s hard to eat cuz he’s congested, and I’m falling apart. Counting the minutes till DH gets home…

amother
SandyBrown

Post Sun, Nov 20 2022, 4:48 pm
amother Lime wrote:
sorry for being so tough was just trying to show the bright side of not going to work (if not feeling well) and not having anyone home sorry for not being more sympathetic and understanding how you feel

I get you but I think thats when youre still feeling ok (ish)

Iv had days before when Im too ill to go to work but am feeling ok(ish) after iv had my meds and rest and relaxation at home..its usually after iv had a few really sick days and am recovering.

Yes, those days sometine do feel a bit like vacation. And I do enjoy them if I can.
Very few and far between.

Im sorry op and other posters who are feeling ill.
Its so hard
Esp sunday is anyway a balagan, in my house anyway.

amother
SandyBrown

Post Sun, Nov 20 2022, 4:50 pm
amother Oleander wrote:
I don’t want to “one-up” you OP, but seriously how do you all function when you’re sick and your kids are sick??
My baby and I are both sick and I seriously can’t manage. He’s so cranky, it’s hard to eat cuz he’s congested, and I’m falling apart. Counting the minutes till DH gets home…

It Sounds so hard.
You dont really function, just manage as best (as you can) not even if you can. You just manage or dont.
Sorry to hear, wishing you a refua shlaimo really soon.

Honestly I would come and help you in a flash.

amother
Lime

Post Sun, Nov 20 2022, 4:52 pm
amother SandyBrown wrote:
It Sounds so hard.
You dont really function, just manage as best (as you can) not even if you can. You just manage or dont.
Sorry to hear, wishing you a refua shlaimo really soon.

Honestly I would come and help you in a flash.

so impressed with your offer kicking myself that I didn't offer that but I know she doesn't need help from 2 of us really impressed real chesed

amother
OP

Post Sun, Nov 20 2022, 4:52 pm
amother Oleander wrote:

I feel for you, truly!
I'm mostly bored, lonely, and feeling useless.
Otherwise I will say it's not terribly difficult for me, practically.
My youngest is 4, my 3 youngest play really nicely together, my older ones are old enough to take care of themselves.
My husband is on Yeshiva schedule, so he was home bein hasdarim and gave the kids lunch (made them sandwiches in the sandwich maker!) and we have Shabbos leftovers for supper.

I do remember being sick when I had babies, it's not easy at all! Especially if you're both sick!
I don't have any practical advice, just that I get it - it's not fun!
(Do you have the option to ask your husband to come home early?)

Sending tons of love and wishes for you to all feel better real quick!
Page 5 of 6   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next Recent Topics