Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Simcha Section
Unpopular opinion: you don’t need your makeup done
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

Bnei Berak 10

Post Sun, Nov 20 2022, 1:42 pm
amother OP wrote:
Another unpopular opinion: those fake lashes look really really weird.

Fake lashes can look terrible and they can look gorgeous. Some are extreme and some can look just very nice Smile

amother
Gladiolus

Post Sun, Nov 20 2022, 2:13 pm
I only ever wear makeup for a sibling wedding or for my own children's bar mitzvahs (and I guess their weddings when we get to that point). So I don't actually know how to do it myself, nor am I interested in learning. But then, I just don't wear it at all, except in the aforementioned circumstances, so it's worth it for me to pay someone to do it since it's not that often.

amother
Jade

Post Sun, Nov 20 2022, 2:27 pm
amother Oldlace wrote:
I don't get my makeup done in order for it to be heavy. That I can do on my own. I do it so that it lasts. My makeup when I do it on my own doesn't last through so many hours and through the sweat of dancing. OTOH, when I get it done professionally for a wedding, I often don't need to reapply for the next night sheva brachos.

Oh yuk

amother
Midnight

Post Sun, Nov 20 2022, 2:47 pm
I was the only one who did my makeup for my sisters wedding. They were all complaining about the eyeliner. As it is at my own wedding I insisted she take some off, I prefer a lighter look by the eyes. Many women look beautiful with no makeup...

amother
Yolk

Post Sun, Nov 20 2022, 2:49 pm
amother Jade wrote:
Oh yuk

Big deal. When I get my makeup done and there’s 7 brachos the next day I also don’t wash my face that night when I take a shower. It’s not yuck. Once in a while it won’t hurt the skin.

amother
Birch

Post Sun, Nov 20 2022, 3:56 pm
Bnei Berak 10 wrote:
Fake lashes can look terrible and they can look gorgeous. Some are extreme and some can look just very nice Smile

Never saw them look gorgeous. Obviously it's a matter of taste and what we're used to.

amother
Seashell

Post Sun, Nov 20 2022, 3:57 pm
amother Yolk wrote:
Big deal. When I get my makeup done and there’s 7 brachos the next day I also don’t wash my face that night when I take a shower. It’s not yuck. Once in a while it won’t hurt the skin.

Yaaa
More bang for your buck!

And fake lashes should make your eyes look bigger.
If they dont theyr too long or not the right size or not put on right.

amother
Papaya

Post Sun, Nov 20 2022, 4:12 pm
BaltoMom65 wrote:
I've never heard of a guest or not immediate family getting professional makeup done

Same, who does that? Even for siblings weddings I don't although some of my sisters do.

amother
Mocha

Post Sun, Nov 20 2022, 4:14 pm
Agree. I don't get my makeup done for my siblings weddings. I've been putting on makeup since I'm 16 it's not really so difficult. And I always get tons of compliments. Like ppl are shocked I can actually put my own makeup on myself.

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Sun, Nov 20 2022, 4:19 pm
I’m not good with my hands, so while I can do my makeup ok, when it’s a close cousin getting married, or a Shabbos simcha when I want my makeup to last all Shabbos, I get it done. There are makeup artists for under $100 that do a beautiful and tasteful , not overdone job.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Nov 20 2022, 4:46 pm
I can always tell when people get their makeup done. It’s not a natural look, no matter how many times you insist it is. You don’t see yourself. Any foundation is automatically heavy.

And I’ve met maybe two women with eyelash extensions that looked normal, but only because they had a certain eye shape and lots of space between the eyelash line, the lid, and the brow.

It’s a free county, do what you want. But you look better doing it yourself.

amother
Seashell

Post Sun, Nov 20 2022, 4:53 pm
amother OP wrote:
I can always tell when people get their makeup done. It’s not a natural look, no matter how many times you insist it is. You don’t see yourself. Any foundation is automatically heavy.

And I’ve met maybe two women with eyelash extensions that looked normal, but only because they had a certain eye shape and lots of space between the eyelash line, the lid, and the brow.

How can you tell on all women?

There are so many women you wouldnt be able to tell because theyv had it done naturally and beautifully, you wouldnt know!

And eyelash extensions, the individual ones, can look so pretty.
Very not noticeable.
Just adds a soft lash lift

amother
Cerise

Post Sun, Nov 20 2022, 5:03 pm
amother OP wrote:

Lol. Some do some don't. I've been to simchas where some people's makeup just looked awful because they did it themselves. Like choppy eyeliner. Or thick eyeliner on the bottom lid and nothing on top making the eye look really unbalanced and weird.
There are so many extremes on this thread.
If you are someone that regularly wears makeup and does a beautiful job at it, go ahead do it yourself. Not everyone is that capable.
Also, some people just want to pamper themselves and relax in a chair for an hour while someone massages their face and they come away looking gorgeous.
You clearly have not seen well done makeup.

amother
Oxfordblue

Post Sun, Nov 20 2022, 5:06 pm
Op Why can’t you just make that decision for yourself? And everyone will make their own decision for themselves?

amother
Cerise

Post Sun, Nov 20 2022, 5:08 pm
amother Birch wrote:
Never saw them look gorgeous. Obviously it's a matter of taste and what we're used to.

I use a very delicate kind of lash that is applied in individual clusters, not a strip. Most of the time you can't even tell the client has glue on lashes because it looks so natural. So maybe that's why you've never seen them gorgeous because you didn't know they were wearing lashes!

amother
Cerise

Post Sun, Nov 20 2022, 5:11 pm
amother Goldenrod wrote:

I really do not know what MUAs use that makes it last longer, are they using speciality products???

It's the technique more than the actual products used. If you're really interested you can search youtube videos for long lasting makeup tips. There's a lot of free education.

amother
DarkGray

Post Sun, Nov 20 2022, 5:13 pm
Unpopular opinion. You do you, and I will do me. Don’t tell me what to do.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Nov 20 2022, 5:14 pm
amother Cerise wrote:
I use a very delicate kind of lash that is applied in individual clusters, not a strip. Most of the time you can't even tell the client has glue on lashes because it looks so natural. So maybe that's why you've never seen them gorgeous because you didn't know they were wearing lashes!

“Most of the time”?? No.

Most of the time I can tell women are wearing wigs. No one has this amount of hair on one head. (Rarely). And I can tell when women have lashes on. Unless you’re Persian, your clustered lashes are very very obvious.

Also, the women who are religious about fake lashes have nearly no lashes of their own left.

amother
Oldlace

Post Sun, Nov 20 2022, 5:15 pm
amother Jade wrote:
Oh yuk

Wow. That's real mature. Rolling Eyes

amother
Ebony

Post Sun, Nov 20 2022, 5:17 pm
MUA here.
Ppl get their makeup done for many reasons. Some want it to last longer (esp for a Shabbos simcha), some don't own so many products - they just have the basics they use everyday.
Some people have the money and they want to pamper themselves during a hectic simcha season.
Some people don't want the stress of having to worry if their face is good, they'd rather pay a few dollars and not have the hassle.
And, believe it or not, many people really don't know how to apply makeup properly. Many people aren't big into makeup. It's a lot easier to watch the tutorial than to actually do it. Not everyone can really make themselves look stunning without the help of a makeup artist.

If you can do it yourself - kol hakavod!
Page 2 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics