Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
Is this even normal? Makeup artist prices
Previous  1  2  3

amother
Strawberry

Post Sun, Nov 20 2022, 7:50 am
amother OP wrote:
I'm not looking for a brand name. I wish I knew of cheaper ones. People have told me for kallahs this is the norm. I cant imagine why a regular style is $35-55 while a kallah is 500+.

Is it the same person that's charging $35 and $500? If yes then that's strange. But I highly doubt the $500 for a kallah person is charging $35 for a non kallah within the same setting (traveling to you etc...)
And yes, a lot of people today choose to put on the wig before the wedding so they save money by not having the stylist come back after chuppah for the switch.

amother
Carnation

Post Sun, Nov 20 2022, 8:32 am
amother Strawberry wrote:
Is it the same person that's charging $35 and $500? If yes then that's strange. But I highly doubt the $500 for a kallah person is charging $35 for a non kallah within the same setting (traveling to you etc...)
And yes, a lot of people today choose to put on the wig before the wedding so they save money by not having the stylist come back after chuppah for the switch.

Just want to point out that there is a halachic issue with doing this and many people don’t think of asking… I wanted to do so and was told it’s a problem

amother
Lawngreen

Post Sun, Nov 20 2022, 8:42 am
amother Carnation wrote:
Just want to point out that there is a halachic issue with doing this and many people don’t think of asking… I wanted to do so and was told it’s a problem

What could be the problem with wearing a wig just before your wedding? I could hear that maybe a single girl, or even engaged, shouldn't' randomly go out in a sheitel (though still not sure what's halachically prohibited about that), but to put it on at the wedding hall shortly before her own chuppah, what could be wrong with that? Is it also a problem to try it on at the SM while she's single?

amother
Mauve

Post Sun, Nov 20 2022, 8:43 am
As a mua, do you think it’s worth it for me to pack up my stuff, travel to the hall, twice, and then do your faces with quality products that cost money, btw. All for $50 per face. Do you think there’s profit in that?

amother
Carnation

Post Sun, Nov 20 2022, 8:52 am
amother Lawngreen wrote:
What could be the problem with wearing a wig just before your wedding? I could hear that maybe a single girl, or even engaged, shouldn't' randomly go out in a sheitel (though still not sure what's halachically prohibited about that), but to put it on at the wedding hall shortly before her own chuppah, what could be wrong with that? Is it also a problem to try it on at the SM while she's single?

Some say that there should be a distinction before and after the chuppah…

amother
Oatmeal

Post Sun, Nov 20 2022, 9:57 am
its crazy stupid.
you bet ill be encouraging my daughter to go into sheitals or makeup before she does what I do (nursing).

I got married in eretz yisroel, a MUA from ramat eshkol (american girl) did my makeup for $100. My hair was done by an israeli I paid over $500. And im israeli myself so its not like she knew I was american to raise her price for americans lol. Its crazy!

amother
Denim

Post Sun, Nov 20 2022, 10:14 am
amother OP wrote:
First of all, I dont think its fair to deprive my daughter from what everyone is doing. But how can stylists charge that much only bc its a kallah?

Also maybe I will cancel after the chuppa, putting on the sheitel. If its prestyled, why cant she do it herself?

And when I got married, also 2 decades, ago I paid $50 for my face. Of course things went up, but this is waaay overboard.
No “everyone” is not doing anything. Of course some people pay less

And considering that I spent 200 for just my own face when my sil got married (it was a difficult wedding for me to attend and I decided to treat myself to a brand name …) of course the big names are charging that much for a kallah.

amother
Maple

Post Sun, Nov 20 2022, 11:34 am
amother Dill wrote:
Because coming back cost so much in time and money, my daughter put on a wig before the chuppah and left some hair out. We just gently nudged it back in after yichud. I would not have risked doing it myself.

You didn't have to do that , halachically.

amother
Lightgray

Post Sun, Nov 20 2022, 11:47 am
Why does hair or makeup need to be fixed after chuppah? Mine stayed fine all night

Flip Flops

Post Sun, Nov 20 2022, 2:00 pm
amother Carnation wrote:

Not a halachic issue, just a difference in minhagim. I researched this extensively before my wedding.

amother
Dill

Post Sun, Nov 20 2022, 2:17 pm
amother Maple wrote:
You didn't have to do that , halachically.

I’m glad you feel that way. I certainly would have preferred not to. But we asked our Dayan and he said we should. Ask your own LOR for guidance.

amother
Strawberry

Post Sun, Nov 20 2022, 2:17 pm
amother Lightgray wrote:
Why does hair or makeup need to be fixed after chuppah? Mine stayed fine all night

People want the extra security knowing that someone will be there just in case.
Many chassidish kallahs completely switch from hair to wig after chuppa so the whole hairdo needs to be done again.
Many people cry really ugly and aren't careful with smudging and wiping. I can do the most bombproof makeup. But if you're gonna have tears pouring from your eyes and you'll be rubbing and wiping them off your face, it's not magic, your makeup will move.

amother
Dill

Post Sun, Nov 20 2022, 2:19 pm
amother Carnation wrote:

There are definitely those who say that a kallah should go to her chuppah as a besulah with uncovered hair. However, given how long it takes and how much it costs to put on a Shaitel after yichud- we were told that if the choice is between putting it on all the way through or leaving it off all the way through, we should put it on before and have her hair covered all the way through.

amother
Dill

Post Sun, Nov 20 2022, 2:21 pm
amother OP wrote:
I'm not looking for a brand name. I wish I knew of cheaper ones. People have told me for kallahs this is the norm. I cant imagine why a regular style is $35-55 while a kallah is 500+.

My kallah was the same $125 as everyone else. In Lakewood.

chestnut

Post Sun, Nov 20 2022, 2:29 pm
amother OP wrote:
Dd wants to book makeup artist and they gave her a price of $700-1000.
Why does it cost so much more than a reg MUA? Am I missing something?

What and how many faces are included in that $700-1000?
How much does a "regular MUA" cost for a kallah?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Nov 20 2022, 6:15 pm
amother Strawberry wrote:

No, of course not. She still does makeup but no more travelling, as she is older. I just pointed it out to someone that mentioned prices from two decades ago. I believe they can charge a crazy amount today, because people will pay it. And every kallah wants the best.

My daughter told me there's a hairstylist (well known) who only comes back to fix hair, if you buy a wig from her. ($3000 value ) And people still use her big time...

It's such a rip off. Mua for simcha- 60-80. Kallah - 500+ (without the travelling)
Ok, so kallah gets more detail, but up to $1000 !?!

amother
Strawberry

Post Sun, Nov 20 2022, 7:13 pm
amother OP wrote:
No, of course not. She still does makeup but no more travelling, as she is older. I just pointed it out to someone that mentioned prices from two decades ago. I believe they can charge a crazy amount today, because people will pay it. And every kallah wants the best.

My daughter told me there's a hairstylist (well known) who only comes back to fix hair, if you buy a wig from her. ($3000 value ) And people still use her big time...

It's such a rip off. Mua for simcha- 60-80. Kallah - 500+ (without the travelling)

The bolded is a completely different thing. If the stylist sells wigs she's a sheitelmacher primarily (usually). It's a major pain in the @ss to go out of the house chuppah time. It's usually bedtime and hectic in most households. It's not regular work hours. If in Brooklyn then they most likely need to take a car service both ways since parking near halls during a wedding is an impossible mission (btdt). That adds cost and time.
She most likely doesn't even want to offer this service of putting on the wig after chuppa. But if you buy the wig by her it makes it more worthwhile.
I don't think that's so outrageous.

amother
Strawberry

Post Sun, Nov 20 2022, 7:23 pm
amother OP wrote:

...snip

Ok so yes obviously there's some element of "people are willing to pay it so they can charge that". That's economics.
It just seems a bit hyperbole to declare that the same person for the same work (for example in studio, timed appointment slot) is charging $80 for the sister and $500 for the kallah.
Are you comparing apples to apples or apples to fruit platters? Know what I mean?
I agree that $500 sounds like a lot for a kallah that's coming in studio. It would be nice if I can charge that much Very Happy .

amother
Strawberry

Post Sun, Nov 20 2022, 7:31 pm
It seems that your gripe is more about your daughter wanting to use specific artists that "everyone" uses and you not wanting to deny her that but you are really annoyed at the prices.

It's almost like those posts we have once in a while of people complaining that they want to use a certain therapist but it's not fair they charge $400 an hour.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics