Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
Do you like your name?
Previous  1  2  3  Next

amother
DarkGray

Post Sun, Nov 20 2022, 11:23 pm
I love my name. It's very different but very pretty. Most people, even frum people, have never heard of it. But I get compliments all the time on how pretty and unique my name is, from frum people and non frum.

amother
Lime

Post Sun, Nov 20 2022, 11:30 pm
Super common name. Could never be called by may name, always either my last name or name and last initial. One summer there were 4 of us in the bunk (and one girl was a bully). Hated my name growing up. Now I have stopped caring, definitely don’t like it.

amother
Jasmine

Post Sun, Nov 20 2022, 11:47 pm
I love my name! I'm Esther.

Pretty common and jewish yet easy for non jews to pronounce (I have worked with non Jews and my name made it easier).

I feel it describes me well and it suits me.

amother
Dahlia

Post Sun, Nov 20 2022, 11:54 pm
I love my name. When I was growing up I didn't know anyone else that pronounced it the way my parents did, but it has become much more common in the younger generation

amother
Milk

Post Mon, Nov 21 2022, 12:03 am
My name is one of the most common jewish girls names so my entire life it had to be paired with my last name. I like that it's easily pronounce-able by non jews and is a pretty name but I disliked that it was so common.
Who I'm named for is very special and I always loved that so I never hated my name.

I gave DD a much more unique name.

tichellady

Post Mon, Nov 21 2022, 12:05 am
it’s fine. it doesn’t feel so much a part of me which sounds funny but it’s true

amother
Babypink

Post Mon, Nov 21 2022, 12:23 am
I have a typical name Rivkie and I don’t know why I find it a clunky sounding name . Like harsh and my toungue trips on it!! Wonder if anyone with the same name finds that …

Made sure all my kids have smooth sounding names !!

Iymnok

Post Mon, Nov 21 2022, 3:52 am
I have a unique name, I’m named after a great grandmother. I love the sound, meaning and uniqueness of it. I made sure not to give my children too common of names. My husband also has an uncommon name. It is well known, but unused. It sounds similar to other common names.

amother
Raspberry

Post Mon, Nov 21 2022, 7:28 am
I am a BT so I chose for myself a name that I liked but it’s rather unique.

I don’t mind because I like the attention:)
My birth name is actually also of a Jewish origin and I have come to love it because it’s classy and universal

amother
Ultramarine

Post Mon, Nov 21 2022, 7:51 am
No, I don't and I never did. Bothers me from time to time but I've more or less accepted it. Everyone seems to say it a different way, it's almost a typical name but not exactly so it gets mixed up and I just don't like the sound of it even when it is pronounced properly.

amother
Oxfordblue

Post Mon, Nov 21 2022, 8:07 am
amother Tangerine wrote:
My name is Esther. I don't love it but it suits me. The meaning really embodies who I am. Whether I like it or not.

My name is Leah and I feel exactly the same way!

singleagain

Post Mon, Nov 21 2022, 8:47 am
Yes. When I was little I only knew adults with my name so they were big and I was little, then during school I a girl with my name transferred in and I'm remember I was surprised to meet someone else my age with my name....

The only thing that was ever annoying was during 8th grade bc our grade was so small they didn't let both of us use the same pasuk with our name as our Hebrew year book quote, and the other girl put it in first... But that was a stupid rule on part of the administration.

watergirl

Post Mon, Nov 21 2022, 8:56 am
Nope. I hate it. Like, with a passion. I am a BT and I go by my english name, which I hate. My hebrew name, I can't explain it but it's not my name. My father loves to call me by my full hebrew name. The best way I can explain it is for the Harry Potter fans... when Voldemort is called Tom Riddle and he recoils... that's me with my hebrew name. I hate my english name also. I hate the way it sounds... I also don't feel like it's the right name for me.

We actually spoke to our rav about it because I feel SO STRONGLY my name is not really my name. He said I can add a name and go by that, but that would cause many issues with my family. When my father is no longer a concern, I do think I will add a name.

My mother loved my english name, but my hebrew name was chosen by my grandfather. I learned about 10 years ago it's also the name of my oldest aunt, this grandfather's oldest child. She goes by her yiddish name but she has a hebrew name as well and it's the same name. He gave us both the same name. And she has an extremely severe mental illness, she has been living in a facility for many years now because of it...

Anyway long winded answer.

amother
Hydrangea

Post Mon, Nov 21 2022, 9:13 am
Both names unique. I'm called by my first name mostly. My husband will can me by my second name occasionally I certain settings. Somehow it grabs my attention faster then my first name. I actually like my second name better. My father usually calls me by my full name. My mil occasionally. Lol.

One of my dds are Rivkah. I like the name. But I hate that everyone seems to be named Rivkah. Lol. Especially that we have a last name that is one of the top 3 most common ones (according to the local phone book) LOL whereas my maiden name is very unique and I love it! I HATE Rivky but she seems to like it and the teachers and girls in school call her that. When she introduces herself she says "Rivkah".
We call her "Rivkah" or Rivkala"

My other kids have somewhat unique yiddish names but common enough and interestingly enough their hands are also "unigue" secular names. One has a very unique name and esther as a second name cuz she might not like it we wanted her to have the choice, you never know. 😉
Another kid had a beautiful combination of 2 very common names.

We put a lot of thoughts into it Smile

amother
Papaya

Post Mon, Nov 21 2022, 9:19 am
amother Hydrangea wrote:
My other kids have somewhat unique yiddish names but common enough and interestingly enough their hands are also "unigue" secular names. One has a very unique name and esther as a second name cuz she might not like it we wanted her to have the choice, you never know. 😉
Another kid had a beautiful combination of 2 very common names.

We put a lot of thoughts into it Smile
just wondering, if you thought of adding Esther to one child to give her the choice cuz you never know
what happened by the second child? why 2 uncommon names? she might not either like it.

amother
Lightyellow

Post Mon, Nov 21 2022, 9:43 am
I hated my name as a kid because it was much more common as a boy's name. But when I got older I really liked having a unique name, and made sure to give unique names to my kids (but names that are clearly one gender only).

amother
Hosta

Post Mon, Nov 21 2022, 10:05 am
I'm okay with my name... don't love it but it is what it is.
The name I go by is super common (Sarah) I was one of four Sarahs in my class, growing up. That was super annoying. Even now, at the doctor's office, for example, there is often more than one Sarah in the waiting room and they need to say a last initial.
At least my maiden name was unique but my married last name is extremely common, so I don't have much of an identity through my name. When I say my name, I feel like there are probably a hundred other people with my exact name.
I don't feel connected to my name, but that could be because I went by so many different nicknames over the years that I never connected to a specific one or to my actual name.
My middle name is a super uncommon, ugly Yiddish name. I wish I didn't have that name at all. It's embarrassing.
My children all have beautiful, simple, not too common, not too uncommon names. And I don't do nicknames... because I feel that I would feel more connected to my name if that was the only name I was called by. Also, NO embarrassing Yiddish middle names. (Only one of my kids has a middle name at all, and we call her by both names)

dankbar

Post Mon, Nov 21 2022, 10:14 am
You are all anon anyway why didn't you people share your name, that you did or didn't like?

amother
Celeste

Post Mon, Nov 21 2022, 10:27 am
My name is really common in both its English and Hebrew version and it’s fine with me. What makes it meaningful is knowing whom I was named after (a family member) and hearing all the stories about her.

amother
DarkViolet

Post Mon, Nov 21 2022, 10:31 am
dankbar wrote:
You are all anon anyway why didn't you people share your name, that you did or didn't like?

I had the same reaction. What could be wrong with posting as amother that my name is Chana and I do/don't like it? Now everyone will know which of the thousands of Chanas in the world you are?

But weren't you the one who shut down a different thread asking people to anonymously post their dress and shoe size because then stalkers could find you?

https://www.imamother.com/foru.....89020

Let's say I post that I'm a size 8 and wear size 6 shoes, and even if I add that I'm 5' 5" and weigh 140 pounds and live in Lakewood, who in the world is going to find me?

Yet you were so nervous about it that you warned others not to participate. I don't see that as any worse than saying my name is Chana and I love my name.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names