Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)
Clonidine for ADHD?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Nov 21 2022, 11:00 am
does anyone have experience with this? Been through two stimulants (with several different dosage trials) with my 7 yr old ds so far with little success. I feel like I’m losing my mind. Chizuk welcomed.

amother
Blushpink

Post Mon, Nov 21 2022, 11:02 am
amother OP wrote:
does anyone have experience with this? Been through two stimulants (with several different dosage trials) with my 7 yr old ds so far with little success. I feel like I’m losing my mind. Chizuk welcomed.

My son was taking clonidine for a few years. He took Ritalin during the day, and clonidine to help him sleep. It was great while it worked, but eventually it stopped helping and we stopped giving it. Now he’s 15 and totally off meds completely.

amother
cornflower

Post Mon, Nov 21 2022, 11:07 am
We did it once. It really helped with sleep. In general, it toned him down a lot, for better or worse. We had to do regular blood pressure checks, and a screening EKG beforehand.

amother
Diamond

Post Mon, Nov 21 2022, 11:28 am
My son has been on a low dose of clonidine (0.1 mg) for a few months. Same age. It helps with his sleep but it's unclear how much of an affect it has had on his behavior.

Did you try guanfacine? That's generally the first try. It's a "cousin" medication to clonidine but often works better for targeting inattention.

Also, Straterra may be an option for you. It's also a non-stimulant and needs to be built up slowly so you wouldn't see improvement for a while but we have had some success with it.

Hatzlacha!

amother
cornflower

Post Mon, Nov 21 2022, 12:59 pm
Intuniv (guanfacine) does help inattention to a point. Where it really shines is targeting impulsivity and volatility/emotional regulation. You need to be able to swallow pills to get the full effect, but there are forms that aren't time release that give some help.

amother
Calendula

Post Mon, Nov 21 2022, 1:34 pm
My 8 year old has been on clonidine since June and b"h it has been helping tremendously. At first she was taking 1 a day and the results were iffy. Then we tried 2 in the morning and it didn't work out. Then we tried 1 in the am and another 12 hours later and after giving it some time it really started to help with hyperactivity, impulsive, focusing, etc. Don't give up if the first dosage doesn't work! She swallows it in a spoonful of applesauce.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)