Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Simcha Section
Unpopular opinion: you don’t need your makeup done
Previous  1  2  3  4

amother
Lightyellow

Post Sun, Nov 20 2022, 11:01 pm
Id rather do my own face, and use the $$ saved to buy some new makeup.

amother
Dimgray

Post Sun, Nov 20 2022, 11:06 pm
This is such an interesting conversation. As an out of towner, I never even knew this concept exists- that people would get their makeup professionally done if it wasn't a family wedding.
I have a family simcha (not immediate family) coming up in Lakewood so I should probably plan to have it professionally done so I don't feel ugly next to everyone?? (I do my own basic makeup very nicely but not "next level" like spray, eyelashes etc.)

amother
Natural

Post Sun, Nov 20 2022, 11:30 pm
DustyDiamonds wrote:
OP, I’ve got some great suggestions for more PSA’s for you to post:

PSA: You don’t need personalized cookies or party favors at Bar/Bat Mitzvahs or any other party! Everyone attending already knows the guest of honor’s name!

PSA: You don’t need centerpieces as Simchas! They are a waste of money and block the view across the table, and guests come for the company and the food, nobody cares about flowers or candles in middle of the table!

PSA: You don’t need paper invitations to simchas! It’s a waste of money printing and all the stamps, and everyone just throws it out. Just text or call your guests!

Oh, and please use your screen name for future PSA’s. Thank you!

Agree with these and one more:
You don’t need personalized bentchers for every simcha. Everyone has tons anyway, and no one needs a souvenir.
I think caterers/halls should just have a set of bentchers that get reused.

amother
Natural

Post Sun, Nov 20 2022, 11:31 pm
amother Dimgray wrote:
This is such an interesting conversation. As an out of towner, I never even knew this concept exists- that people would get their makeup professionally done if it wasn't a family wedding.
I have a family simcha (not immediate family) coming up in Lakewood so I should probably plan to have it professionally done so I don't feel ugly next to everyone?? (I do my own basic makeup very nicely but not "next level" like spray, eyelashes etc.)

Not necessarily. I live in Lakewood and I have no clue what she’s taking about. Yes, I’ve seen maybe nieces and aunts and MAYBE cousins get their makeup done for weddings. But that’s it.

amother
Apricot

Post Mon, Nov 21 2022, 12:05 am
hodeez wrote:
Not everyone knows how to do their own makeup. I'm assuming they'd rather pay to get it done than come to the wedding with raccoon eyes and blackface foundation

Not everyone think they need make up.

If make up companies would count on me for income, there would not be any.

a little blush, nice lipstick, end.

Nice smile and confidence!

amother
Cappuccino

Post Mon, Nov 21 2022, 12:13 am
amother OP wrote:
I can always tell when people get their makeup done. It’s not a natural look, no matter how many times you insist it is. You don’t see yourself. Any foundation is automatically heavy.

And I’ve met maybe two women with eyelash extensions that looked normal, but only because they had a certain eye shape and lots of space between the eyelash line, the lid, and the brow.

It’s a free county, do what you want. But you look better doing it yourself.

You'd never know that I wear foundation every day. It's light and airy just evens out my ruddy skin tone.

amother
Freesia

Post Mon, Nov 21 2022, 12:20 am
amother Cappuccino wrote:
You'd never know that I wear foundation every day. It's light and airy just evens out my ruddy skin tone.

Which brand foundation? I'd like a light one that will cover ruddy Smile

Raisin

Post Mon, Nov 21 2022, 5:05 am
You can also wear tinted moisteriser for every day.

I wear Laura Mercier or bobbi brown brand foundation.

amother
DarkGray

Post Mon, Nov 21 2022, 6:53 am
amother Mocha wrote:
Agree with all of these! Definitely all unnecessary, especially if people are struggling financially. You can have an amazing Simcha without this.

She was using a sarcasm font.

Chayalle

Post Mon, Nov 21 2022, 9:32 am
amother Dimgray wrote:

I live in Lakewood and have never heard of this.

Full disclosure - I've had my makeup done twice in my life. For my own wedding (she was awful) and for my youngest sister's wedding (she did a great job, but IMVHO I looked no different from when I do my makeup myself.)

Fear not, I will likely cave into pressure from my girls and get it done for their weddings, and feel stupid spending money when I could just do it myself.

I have a few PSA's of my own (that are likely unpopular). My newest observation - you don't need a professional photographer for the vort (when did this become a thing?)

amother
Hyssop

Post Mon, Nov 21 2022, 9:42 am
amother Dimgray wrote:
Almost no one in my extended family gets it done for a cousins wedding. So it depends who your relatives are. But you could do it for not too much if you use someone who just finished a makeup course.

amother
Dimgray

Post Mon, Nov 21 2022, 11:34 am
Thank you !

zaq

Post Mon, Nov 21 2022, 11:58 am
OP I would take it a step further and assert that the only people who NEED professional makeup are models, actors, on-camera TV announcers, and people with disfiguring scars, bruises or birthmarks. Brides, etc. who aren't adept can have a skilled friend or relative apply light but normal long-lasting makeup to their faces, enhancing their looks without erasing them. Unfortunately, once one person goes over to the Dark Side, everyone else follows.

amother
Cognac

Post Mon, Nov 21 2022, 12:17 pm
amother DarkGray wrote:
Unpopular opinion. You do you, and I will do me. Don’t tell me what to do.

Even more unpopular opinion. The kallah doesn't need to have her makeup done. Nor do her sisters, mother, sisters in law, mother in law, or respective grandmothers.

If they want to, good for them. Their choice. Whether they look natural (and I have seen plenty of women who look like they barely have any makeup on after an eternity with a makeup artist, because that's the look they wanted) or like Tammy Faye Bakker. Their faces, their simchas, their choice.

Same for guests. Why is it anyone else's business?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Nov 21 2022, 12:18 pm
DustyDiamonds wrote:
OP, I’ve got some great suggestions for more PSA’s for you to post:

PSA: You don’t need personalized cookies or party favors at Bar/Bat Mitzvahs or any other party! Everyone attending already knows the guest of honor’s name!

PSA: You don’t need centerpieces as Simchas! They are a waste of money and block the view across the table, and guests come for the company and the food, nobody cares about flowers or candles in middle of the table!

PSA: You don’t need paper invitations to simchas! It’s a waste of money printing and all the stamps, and everyone just throws it out. Just text or call your guests!

Oh, and please use your screen name for future PSA’s. Thank you!

Actually these are all perfect! I’ve made more than a few bar mitzvahs and kiddushes, Baruch Hashem, and did none of these. Great ideas!

Thanks! And since lots of people on imamother seem to hate unpopular opinions these days, I’d prefer to protect myself by being anonymous instead of getting my inbox flooded.

amother
Cognac

Post Mon, Nov 21 2022, 12:26 pm
Raisin wrote:
You can also wear tinted moisteriser for every day.

I wear Laura Mercier or bobbi brown brand foundation.

Have you tried Jones Road? I haven't tried the foundation (yet), but the other products are a lot like BB was when she first started her line. Very natural looking.

amother
Bellflower

Post Mon, Nov 21 2022, 12:39 pm
No one needs to get their makeup done professionally, ever. I just think, as a makeup artist LOL , that most people do look better after I’m done with them!

DustyDiamonds

Post Mon, Nov 21 2022, 12:53 pm
amother OP wrote:
Actually these are all perfect! I’ve made more than a few bar mitzvahs and kiddushes, Baruch Hashem, and did none of these. Great ideas!

Thanks! And since lots of people on imamother seem to hate unpopular opinions these days, I’d prefer to protect myself by being anonymous instead of getting my inbox flooded.

OP, am I correct in assuming that your opinion is that:

It’s never a good idea to spend money on aesthetics. Money should only be spent on practicalities, such as food and clothing and shelter. When a higher price will yield a more beautiful presentation of your food, clothes, and home, there’s no reason to spend the money.

Did I get that right? If so, I disagree 100%, although I respect your personal point of view and opinion, and am very glad your opinion is not the law of the land!
Page 4 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4 Recent Topics