Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
Rare girls names
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next

scintilla

Post Mon, Nov 21 2022, 11:59 am
dankbar wrote:
Anael in English speaking would sound like backside.

I have seen it spelled Annaelle, in the US, and I don't think it would have any connotation then.

No one has mentioned my daughter's name, but it's so rare that if I say it here I'll out myself!

amother
Stone

Post Mon, Nov 21 2022, 12:06 pm
Ashira
Adira
Moriah
Naama
Bella
Hila
Fortuna

amother
Stone

Post Mon, Nov 21 2022, 12:10 pm
Yachit
Priva
Shalva
Naami
Naomi
Ditza
Chedva
Nitza
Simi
Hendy
Henschi
Sasha

amother
Stoneblue

Post Mon, Nov 21 2022, 12:10 pm
scintilla wrote:

I have seen it spelled Annaelle, in the US, and I don't think it would have any connotation then.

Yes, I see it spelled as Annaelle in the U.S.
I think it's one of those names that's becoming more in vogue and will become quite trendy in the next few years.

amother
Catmint

Post Mon, Nov 21 2022, 12:16 pm
Why do some of you consider Yiddish names as a Jewish name? They aren't taken from the Torah why is it more Jewish than other English names

amother
Daisy

Post Mon, Nov 21 2022, 12:31 pm
Tzofiya

amother
Stone

Post Mon, Nov 21 2022, 12:32 pm
amother Catmint wrote:
Why do some of you consider Yiddish names as a Jewish name? They aren't taken from the Torah why is it more Jewish than other English names

I know or have heard of jewish females with those names. No great philosophical meaning going on here.

amother
Amber

Post Mon, Nov 21 2022, 12:36 pm
amother Catmint wrote:

You consider Jewish names to be only names taken from the Torah?
By that measure, the names Brochi, Nechama, Chaya, Malka Menucha, Chaim, Baruch, Tzvi, Simcha wouldn't be considered proper Jewish names because they are not names of people in Tanach.

Rabbenu Tam had a sister Baila, Rashi's granddaughter. Just saying

amother
Babyblue

Post Mon, Nov 21 2022, 12:44 pm
Riva
Thirzta
Adel
Ohdaya
Tibel
Tessa

watergirl

Post Mon, Nov 21 2022, 12:54 pm
amother Catmint wrote:

My grandfather held this way so he "took away" my mother's yiddish name when she married my father and gave her a hebrew name. That was so traumatic for her and she never forgave him for it. He then proceeded to insist upon my name (see my previous post) and my sibling's hebrew name and I hate to say it but I'm glad he was not there to see me and my sibling name our kids. My father is mad to this day, ironically, that my sibling gave her daughter the hebrew version of my grandmother's name (his own mother's name). This grandmother is the wife of the very grandfather who took away my mother's yiddish name, yet his own wife was allowed to keep hers... so my sibling gave the hebrew equivalent of the name and my dad is mad to this day that it's not the "real" name...

Like I said in my previous post, I hate my name. I will add this - questioning the Jewish value of a name is particularly offensive to me, as I get asked REGULARLY by people when they first meet me how is it that I have the name I have, as it's not a Jewish name. It's so hurtful.

My point (other than the small vent) is that names are a sensitive topic and it's not on you or my grandfather or anyone else to offer their opinion on the Jewishness of a name, or on the legitimacy of a name, etc. Unless asked, just smile at someone's name. And unless you are someone with shoulders as big as Rav Kanievsky or unless you are a navi, you really don't have any grounds to even ask that question.

amother
Blue

Post Mon, Nov 21 2022, 1:08 pm
amother Amber wrote:

Rabbenu Tam had a sister Baila, Rashi's granddaughter. Just saying

I'd love to know the source for this, I haven't heard this before. Do you (or anyone else) know where I can find it?

amother
Trillium

Post Mon, Nov 21 2022, 1:17 pm
amother Catmint wrote:

I guess because yiddish became the language of the Jews. You at right though, those names are not “Torah” names.

My daughter has a name that is very unique in the yeshivish world (it hasn’t been mentioned on this thread yet). It’s sefardi and would also be considered not Jewish. But it’s as Jewish as any Yiddish name. The language of Moroccan Jews was Spanish, just like the Europeans spoke german/yiddish.

dankbar

Post Mon, Nov 21 2022, 1:25 pm
The same would be on Israeli Hebrew made up names.

Many names that are just nice words in Hebrew/lashon kodesh have names with same meaning in Yiddish

Gila, Rina, ditzah, Chedvah, Shira, simchah, Aliza=freida, fradel

Yaffa=Shaina, shaindel

Shoshanna= Roiza, Raizel

Vered=Blima

Ahuva=Leba

Zahava=Golda

Atara=Kraindel

Adina=Aidel, Idy

Tziporoah, Tzippy,=Faiga

Yonah=Toba

Tova=Gitty

Menucha, shalva, Nechama, Nechy, Nicha

dankbar

Post Mon, Nov 21 2022, 1:31 pm
Then many Yiddish names were dimininutives from secular names in their homeland, but twisted a little to separate them as Jewish names
Beilu,baila came from Bella
Keily from Kayla
Henyu, henchu, Hendel from Hannah
Klary from Claire
Gittel probably from Gizelle
Fraide from Freeda

Just like Yiddish language was set up to separate them from non Jewish neighbors and keep their own Jewish identity

Last edited by dankbar on Mon, Nov 21 2022, 3:55 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Floralwhite

Post Mon, Nov 21 2022, 1:55 pm
In my extended family we have
Temmi/Tema (both versions in different people)
Kenya

Which I think are both quite uncommon.

amother
Steel

Post Mon, Nov 21 2022, 2:14 pm
Minna
Noa
Tirtza
Serach
Saida
Bella
Ruchama
Techiya

amother
Chocolate

Post Mon, Nov 21 2022, 2:26 pm
Osnas. אסנת (אסי)

amother
Viola

Post Mon, Nov 21 2022, 2:35 pm
Li
Kira
Jay (for a girl)
Shir-li
Davida
Binyamina
Nediva
Yigalla
Keshet
Oriya
Mikvah (seriously!)
Mina

amother
Oleander

Post Mon, Nov 21 2022, 2:45 pm
Someone wrote Efrona -is that a girl version of Efron?

Wasn't he a bad guy?

Never understood why secular Israelis like the name Nimrod

I thought Ktoret Bsamim was the the most unique name I have ever heard, but some of these got to take it....

I always loved the name Tefilah for a girl, but I dont think dh would go for it
He is very into names Americans (non -jewish) and Israeli's can pronounce, and that are not community specific (so no yiddish or very hebrew names unless there is a second name that is easier with it)

LovesHashem

Post Mon, Nov 21 2022, 3:51 pm
Our Rav said we should use a name with a mesorah. So a name from the tanach is good, but other names like some Yiddish ones have mesorah too.

Theres sefarim and books on names, and when we've wanted to name our kids our Rav has consulted with our rabbanim and books to see if there was a mesorah for some of the names we liked.
Page 5 of 8   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names