Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Johanesburg or Cape Town?
Previous  1  2  3  4

sequoia

Post Mon, Nov 21 2022, 9:23 am
PinkFridge wrote:
I hope so.

Yeah… I’m not South African but it seems like a situation with no good solution.

amother
Seagreen

Post Mon, Nov 21 2022, 1:01 pm
amother Aster wrote:
Hello fellow Joburger

1. Guaranteed you didn't grow up in SA - I don't think I've ever heard anyone in this country (besides my DH) use the word "megushamdik" LOL

2. You must be here a pretty long time if you describe the people here as "lovely" LOL

3. Which plan are you one? I think we're overpaying Surprised

Didn't grow up here. living here 20ish years.

Discovery. Delta comprehensive. (Plus gap cover) it’s about $1000 a month.

naturalmom5

Post Mon, Nov 21 2022, 3:19 pm
amother Aster wrote:
Just to put things in perspective - when it comes to murders there are a number of US cities - nearly all with big Jewish populations that beat out Johannesburg - so please don't delude yourself that you are living in safety. Also interestingly certain crimes barely exist here - like school shootings and mass shootings.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/....._rate

13. Cape Town
22. St Louis
25. Baltimore
38. Memphis
42. Detroit
60. Johannesburg
66. Philadelphia

Of course when it comes to other crimes Johannesburg is worse but seems like Jews are attracted to dangerous cities...

With the exception of Baltimore ( never understood why Banging head , my son lives there)
All the cities you mention, the frum community lives in a suburb not the bad part of city

amother
Papaya

Post Mon, Nov 21 2022, 3:32 pm
naturalmom5 wrote:
With the exception of Baltimore ( never understood why Banging head , my son lives there)
All the cities you mention, the frum community lives in a suburb not the bad part of city

Hmm. I live in Baltimore but not the bad part of the city. I guess you mean some people live in the bad part?

naturalmom5

Post Mon, Nov 21 2022, 3:38 pm
amother Papaya wrote:
Hmm. I live in Baltimore but not the bad part of the city. I guess you mean some people live in the bad part?

From all my visits there I was told there is

Mt Wilson Lane which is idyllic

Towson

Near Seven mile market

And then theres Park Heights ave near the DMZ , I think national parkway

amother
Rainbow

Post Mon, Nov 21 2022, 4:00 pm
I am proudly South African !!
We are quite a patriotic country , which I reckon is why people who know people who left South Africa get such a bad perspective on it because they have to justify and double and triple justify why they leave

It seems on this thread there are major misconceptions about SA
In my area , suburban , the main frum community , my older kids walk to school … I go weekly for walks with my younger kids
Not a day goes by where you don’t see the roads with people walking , running , out with kids or their dogs ( very common to have dogs )
In certain ways things have improved here to 20 years ago , so people who left then have a distorted view

We don’t generally go to parks , our days are very different to over seas
Kids finish school between 12:30- 3 , earlier than over seas and most of our afternoons are spent at ballet , music , soccer etc , it’s a very extra curricular orientated system … so as a mom I generally spend my day in the car lifting
But the upside is I have someone full time at home cleaning , washing , ironing , cooking , looking after younger ones … and on our free days we have friends over , swim , play
Most people have gardens with jungle gyms and swimming pools

It’s a slower paced life
We have help , we have space

I was recently in israel , and realised that for me I’m in the best place to be bringing up my children … sometimes less freedom isn’t a bad thing
Although my older kids walk to school , we know where they are
They can’t just hop on a bus and go here and there … there’s more control

There’s also less rules
It’s a more diverse community
Although there is a strong yeshivish , Lubavitch and mizrachi community … different communities also mix with one another so it’s not so black and white

Although lots of people are leaving at the moment
Lots of people are staying
There are so many families , it used to be a community where everyone knew everyone
It’s not like that anymore

Compared to other places , it does seem a lot more affordable to live , with a lifestyle you can’t get anywhere else

And op to answer ur exact question
Johannesburg is more the frum community
Although there are frum families in Cape Town , it’s a very small frum community and much harder in terms of that aspect
But to go visit Cape Town on vacation , Is just the best !!!!
Page 4 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating