Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Chit Chat
“Wig” vs “Sheitel”
Previous  1  2

nightingale1

Post Mon, Nov 21 2022, 12:47 pm
kenz wrote:
Wig is quicker to type I.e. text. I honestly think that’s why it’s become more common. People got used to texting it so started thinking that way. And most people text them sheitel machers at least occasionally.

This makes so much sense lol! I think you’re right!

I didnt mean to insinuate anything about using Yiddish vs English language. Just noting an observation and wondering whether this was a recent trend.

jkl

Post Mon, Nov 21 2022, 12:50 pm
nightingale1 wrote:
This makes so much sense lol! I think you’re right!

I didnt mean to insinuate anything about using Yiddish vs English language. Just noting an observation and wondering whether this was a recent trend.

For me, texting is definitely the reason. Wig is easier to text and the autocorrect doesnt change it up to something else.

Lovable

Post Mon, Nov 21 2022, 1:26 pm
mizle10 wrote:
True, but I feel like it comes from a desire to sound more secular.

What?!
Using certain words to sound more secular?
Your grandmother might say the same when she hears you saying LOL or the like.
Words and terms change with time.
Zero wrong with saying Wig instead of Sheitel. And it has zero to do with the desire to sound more secular.
Wig is shorter, faster and plain old english

Bnei Berak 10

Post Mon, Nov 21 2022, 1:49 pm
zaq wrote:
The person who cuts and styles wigs in my nabe is called a hairdresser. She handles live and dummy clients.

And a shaytelmacher is a wig maker I guess Smile

number

Post Mon, Nov 21 2022, 2:40 pm
Raisin wrote:
To other frum people I say sheital, to non Jews I say wig, to Israelis, peah. But wig makes me think of judges and those powdered wigs people wore 200 years ago.
Lol! Don’t forget all the mtf trans people from the 2020s. They’re wearing plenty of wigs.

mizle10

Post Mon, Nov 21 2022, 2:56 pm
Lovable wrote:
What?!
Using certain words to sound more secular?
Your grandmother might say the same when she hears you saying LOL or the like.
Words and terms change with time.
Zero wrong with saying Wig instead of Sheitel. And it has zero to do with the desire to sound more secular.
Wig is shorter, faster and plain old english

We know 2 of the zechusim the yidden in mitzrayim had was not changing their names or their language. What does that even mean? They originated from Canaan, there was no jewish language or land yet. And jewish names? Avraham was the first to recognize hashem, this was a few generations later. There was no tanach to look into and see what was or wasn't a jewish name.

It's about staying true to our roots and origins, not trying to blend in with the non jews. I also see a trend now of people calling their kids by their non jewish legal name as a nickname. Is there something wrong with it? Not inherently. But it comes from a desire to fit in and a certain embarrassment to stick out as overly religious.

Lovable

Post Mon, Nov 21 2022, 3:12 pm
mizle10 wrote:
We know 2 of the zechusim the yidden in mitzrayim had was not changing their names or their language. What does that even mean? They originated from Canaan, there was no jewish language or land yet. And jewish names? Avraham was the first to recognize hashem, this was a few generations later. There was no tanach to look into and see what was or wasn't a jewish name.

It's about staying true to our roots and origins, not trying to blend in with the non jews. I also see a trend now of people calling their kids by their non jewish legal name as a nickname. Is there something wrong with it? Not inherently. But it comes from a desire to fit in and a certain embarrassment to stick out as overly religious.

Ok Im not going into this whole language thing
But just pointing out that comparing wig/sheitel and calling kids by hebrew/english names is just NOT comparable

mizle10

Post Mon, Nov 21 2022, 3:24 pm
Lovable wrote:
Ok Im not going into this whole language thing
But just pointing out that comparing wig/sheitel and calling kids by hebrew/english names is just NOT comparable

Depends what your intentions are.
If it's to sound cooler I don't see the difference at all.

lamplighter

Post Mon, Nov 21 2022, 3:26 pm
I use both but I think my usage of wig comes from texting and my interactions with secular people.

Congresswoman

Post Mon, Nov 21 2022, 3:36 pm
I always thought Sheitel was a yeshivish word

Trademark

Post Mon, Nov 21 2022, 4:26 pm
mizle10 wrote:

If I remember correctly they spoke Lashon Hakodesh. Correct me if I'm wrong. (Just speculating: I'm assuming they didn't learn a whole new language after har sinai.)

Also the Avos kept the Torah.

It definitely says the kept their names. What exactly that refers to I'm not sure, you can ask someone more learned. But the definitely kept themselves apart.

Trademark

Post Mon, Nov 21 2022, 4:28 pm
Congresswoman wrote:
I always thought Sheitel was a yeshivish word

What's a yeshivish word?

Aren't yeshivish words either yiddish, aramic or hebrew?

jkl

Post Mon, Nov 21 2022, 7:10 pm
mizle10 wrote:

So then how did Yiddish come about to be the language? It's a fairly new language, definitely not going way back. In order for it become the language, that means yidden changed up their previous language.

Did people make the same claims back then, when we yidden changed up our previous language to yiddish?

shanie5

Post Mon, Nov 21 2022, 9:57 pm
Funny thing. My black, non jewish coworker refers to her wig as a sheitel when talking to me (and other frum women).

salt

Post Tue, Nov 22 2022, 2:42 am
essie14 wrote:
Saying shaitel brings more kedusha?
How in the world....

I think the people who are saying that using yiddish words bring more kedusha into the home, really mean that it just sounds more Jewish.
Like you wouldn't say "what time does the sabbath commence?" you would say "What time does shabbat/shabbos come in"?
It just sounds more Jewish.

essie14

Post Tue, Nov 22 2022, 4:39 am
salt wrote:
I think the people who are saying that using yiddish words bring more kedusha into the home, really mean that it just sounds more Jewish.
Like you wouldn't say "what time does the sabbath commence?" you would say "What time does shabbat/shabbos come in"?

Sounding more Jewish doesn't bring kedusha into your home. If someone wants to sprinkle random Yiddish words into their speech, go ahead. But to say it brings kedusha is a little ridiculous IMO.

How about everyone calls make up איפור from now on. That's the Hebrew word, lashon hakodesh.
And let's say בית ספר instead of school.
I mean, why is the word wig picked on?
We don't speak Yiddish in my home.

#BestBubby

Post Tue, Nov 22 2022, 6:11 am
salt wrote:

I say "when is licht bentchen?"

(Candle lighting)

I think it is valuable to speak loshon kodesh,
Yiddish or just Jewish words, especially at home to strengthen children's Jewish identity (and our own)

DrMom

Post Tue, Nov 22 2022, 7:01 am
number wrote:
Lol! Don’t forget all the mtf trans people from the 2020s. They’re wearing plenty of wigs.

And all those drag queens commissioned to read stories to children in libraries and kindergartens across the country. The wig business must be booming.

mommy3b2c

Post Tue, Nov 22 2022, 7:37 am
mizle10 wrote:
Depends what your intentions are.
If it's to sound cooler I don't see the difference at all.

If someone says wig to try to sound cooler that is bizarre. I say wig or sheitel and I never thought that deeply into it. This thread is making me Scratching Head
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics