Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Lock up in room when nursing?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Nov 21 2022, 4:45 pm
Where do you nurse your baby?
I like nursing in my room because I need the break that I am anyway taking.
I'd like to know if its ok to lock myself into the room, I find if the door is open I have cranky kids kvetching.
And I know they are capable of occupying themselves for this short time.
What is your take?

amother
Peony

Post Mon, Nov 21 2022, 4:47 pm
If your kids are safe - why not? It's good for all of you for you to ha e a break.

amother
Jade

Post Mon, Nov 21 2022, 4:49 pm
You say you're "anyway taking a break"
Taking a break on the couch with your children around is very different from taking a break away from them.
Think of it as leaving your other children. If the situation is safe that you can leave, so locking yourself away is fine. But if you wouldn't leave them, you shouldn't be locking yourself in a room either.

amother
Mint

Post Mon, Nov 21 2022, 4:55 pm
I personally would lose my mind from locking myself away every time I nursed, but if thats what is best for you and your children are safe why not?
Honestly the only thing I would worry about would be my other kids feeling left out and like they werent getting enough attention as the baby. I guess it depends on how old your other kids are also.

amother
Hyacinth

Post Mon, Nov 21 2022, 4:57 pm
I do it now when my second youngest is 6 y.o.

I never did it when I had 2-3 y. olds

amother
Banana

Post Mon, Nov 21 2022, 5:03 pm
Following

Baby jumps with any tiny noise. Even from next room or outside.
I can use tips.

amother
Hydrangea

Post Mon, Nov 21 2022, 5:03 pm
Yes you can always lock your door assuming your kids are old enough to be safe for that time period

amother
Mint

Post Mon, Nov 21 2022, 5:06 pm
amother Banana wrote:
Following

Baby jumps with any tiny noise. Even from next room or outside.
I can use tips.

Sound machine when sleeping. When awake its ok and normal. Its better to get a baby used to some level of noise.

Ema of 5

Post Mon, Nov 21 2022, 5:10 pm
amother OP wrote:
Where do you nurse your baby?
I like nursing in my room because I need the break that I am anyway taking.
I'd like to know if its ok to lock myself into the room, I find if the door is open I have cranky kids kvetching.
And I know they are capable of occupying themselves for this short time.
What is your take?

I am currently sitting on the couch in the living room, nursing my baby. I don’t like being hidden away

amother
Banana

Post Mon, Nov 21 2022, 5:10 pm
amother Mint wrote:
Sound machine when sleeping. When awake its ok and normal. Its better to get a baby used to some level of noise.

No, while eating.
Shuffling, honking, talking all make her stop. Feeding takes long and I get frustrated.

Eta baby is 6m. This is going for a while already.

amother
Firethorn

Post Mon, Nov 21 2022, 5:12 pm
amother Banana wrote:
No, while eating.
Shuffling, honking, talking all make her stop. Feeding takes long and I get frustrated.

Eta baby is 6m. This is going for a while already.

Same here. My baby gets very distracted with every noise, I can't feed him properly. I close myself in a room, but my youngest before is 7.

amother
Puce

Post Mon, Nov 21 2022, 5:13 pm
I always lock myself in my room when nursing.

The other kids are safe, my house is safe for them, and if I needed to go to them it's not such a big deal to leave the room. I just like to be able to nurse alone without distraction.

Shoshana Rose

Post Mon, Nov 21 2022, 5:16 pm
locked in a room otherwise baby even from 2-4 months doesn't get a good feed. I must admit my preschooler (one before baby) is jealous (she has a few older siblings). but this is life, she gets a lot of private attention as well.

amother
Lily

Post Mon, Nov 21 2022, 5:25 pm
Wow, I’ve never done this. If I need a break I wouldn’t want to nurse during my break anyway.

amother
Hyacinth

Post Mon, Nov 21 2022, 6:27 pm
amother Firethorn wrote:
Same here. My baby gets very distracted with every noise, I can't feed him properly. I close myself in a room, but my youngest before is 7.

My baby isn’t even interested in the breast anymore if something else is happening around.
When I am out and about she just won’t nurse.
When I hd several young kids and couldn’t leave them unsupervised, I gave my baby one bottle a day, on the couch in the afternoon, tp be there for the kids.

amother
Cherry

Post Mon, Nov 21 2022, 6:30 pm
I like to nurse in my room to get a break but I also nurse in front if kids/ they come in to my room etc. It's important for nursing to be a normal part of life for both boys & girls.

amother
NeonYellow

Post Mon, Nov 21 2022, 8:32 pm
I let 3 yo dd come in my room and do something quiet (reading, laying on dh bed, or coloring) while I nurse easily distractable 7 month old. Sometimes if hes getting really distracted by her presence I ask her to step out for a few minutes with door open.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics