Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling -> Seminary Info
Chemdas, Hadar, Seminar; Bnos Chaim
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Mon, Nov 21 2022, 10:21 pm
Can you please share any and all information about these seminaries?
Warm/cold/solid frum/“greasy”?

What kind of crowd, hashkafah, hanhalah, what do they teach/preach; do girls have to find accommodations for Shabbos and yomtov etc…

Tia

amother
Melon

Post Wed, Dec 07 2022, 10:48 am
What's "greasy" in this context?
Fwiw, haven't heard of even one seminary being described as cold yet

amother
Seagreen

Post Wed, Dec 07 2022, 12:26 pm
I was in hadar many years ago but from those who seem to be going now, lots of very yeshivishe and also heimishe. It's a very frum sem that emphasizes a lot on learning in kollel long term with a real yeshivishe hashkafa.

amother
Azalea

Post Wed, Dec 07 2022, 12:29 pm
amother Melon wrote:
What's "greasy" in this context?
Fwiw, haven't heard of even one seminary being described as cold yet

My dd was in BJJ, they're known for not being a very warm place!
There's 180 girls it's hard to create a warm relationship with all students!

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Wed, Dec 07 2022, 1:29 pm
Seminar still has ways to go. They rebranded since I was there, but my younger sister was just there and hated it.

amother
Melon

Post Wed, Dec 07 2022, 2:07 pm
amother Dodgerblue wrote:
Seminar still has ways to go. They rebranded since I was there, but my younger sister was just there and hated it.

What about it did she hate?
Thanks, Azalea and Seagreen

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Wed, Dec 07 2022, 2:18 pm
The group of girls were not a cohesive type. The hanhalah is toxic... very concerned about maintaining their reputation and try to micromanage the girls as a result.
I also found the hanhalah to be toxic. Was extremely unhappy there.

amother
Daisy

Post Wed, Dec 07 2022, 2:29 pm
The group of girls were not a cohesive type. The hanhalah is toxic... very concerned about maintaining their reputation and try to micromanage the girls as a result.
I also found the hanhalah to be toxic. Was extremely unhappy there.

Thank you for your honesty. My daughter asked me to apply and I told her I need to hear something to convince me other than "it's considered a top seminary" now. I had a daughter who went to Bnos Sarah and then was a Madricha there - she was even more impressed as a Madricha - the Hanhala truly cares about the girls and about the Madrichot - they are also great role models. It's also not owned privately and that also makes a big difference. I'm not saying any seminary is perfect but I need to hear something to convince me that a seminary is worth applying and sending my child. Anyone have any other suggestions for a really good seminary?

amother
Butterscotch

Post Wed, Dec 07 2022, 2:32 pm

My daughter was there last year and loved it.
The girls were like-minded, more homogenous than Bnos Sarah. Academic, yeshivish but not very intense about it, and just really nice and down to earth.
The hanhala was warm and extremely nice to deal with, though I can’t say I dealt with them a lot.
I have 2 other daughters, one went to BJJ and one to Bnos Sarah and this was the most positive experience overall.

amother
Camellia

Post Wed, Dec 07 2022, 4:07 pm
I have one who was in Seminar last year and we are obsessed with it as she would say. Forsure the most open minded of the ones u mentioned and more frum than Yeshivish! The group of girls were a nice variety which we loved! They’re goal is to really build each girl to her potential NOT a mold which we really liked and see her well my daughter thrived and has learned to think and become level headed. Amazing staff and warmth! I found Bnos Sarah cold and not relatable and into the girls.

amother
Butterscotch

Post Wed, Dec 07 2022, 4:13 pm
amother Camellia wrote:
I have one who was in Seminar last year and we are obsessed with it as she would say. Forsure the most open minded of the ones u mentioned and more frum than Yeshivish! The group of girls were a nice variety which we loved! They’re goal is to really build each girl to her potential NOT a mold which we really liked and see her well my daughter thrived and has learned to think and become level headed. Amazing staff and warmth! I found Bnos Sarah cold and not relatable and into the girls.

Could not agree more!

amother
Melon

Post Wed, Dec 07 2022, 4:23 pm
Is Seminar yeshivish or not? Academic? In town?

amother
Hyacinth

Post Wed, Dec 07 2022, 4:28 pm
amother Camellia wrote:

This. We love Seminar! Nice friendly group of girls, not stand-offish, more out of town feel even if about half were “in towners “ that year. Staff was incredible, so warm and open. No preaching, just learning. Not all yeshivish, more jpf. My year had a lot of chofetz Chaim families, if that puts it into any helpful perspective, but I’m sure every year is different.

amother
Sand

Post Wed, Dec 07 2022, 4:31 pm
I am finding it so so difficult to get a read on the different seminaries. Like this thread! You have completely different experiences about the same place! Its so dependent on who you talk to!

Its such an investment of our children's minds/hearts, of time, of money. And its to a place that I'll probably never even see!

I'm making decisions for my child completely in the dark. This whole thing is so crazy...

amother
Melon

Post Wed, Dec 07 2022, 4:33 pm
amother Sand wrote:
I am finding it so so difficult to get a read on the different seminaries.

I'm making decisions for my child completely in the dark. This whole thing is so crazy...

Join the club lol

Check out other seminary threads in this section for more info and confusion Smile

amother
Azalea

Post Wed, Dec 07 2022, 4:39 pm
amother Sand wrote:
I am finding it so so difficult to get a read on the different seminaries. Like this thread! You have completely different experiences about the same place! Its so dependent on who you talk to!

Its such an investment of our children's minds/hearts, of time, of money. And its to a place that I'll probably never even see!

I agree! I'm looking for a high school and so confused! One says so yeshivish, one says not at all, one says very academic one says low level....

amother
Eggplant

Post Wed, Dec 07 2022, 4:56 pm
Imamother is not exactly the place to get a feel of what kind of place a school is. I know everyone does discuss it here, but there are people from every part of the frum world, so their description of frum/yeshivish or whatever is so based on where they are coming from, which you have no idea of because this is the internet!

Speak to your daughter's principal, speak to other mothers, get info people who you know who they are!

amother
Lilac

Post Wed, Dec 07 2022, 5:00 pm
Seminar is rlly warm and middle ground

amother
Forsythia

Post Thu, Feb 09 2023, 12:07 pm
What about Bnos Chaim in Lakewood?
Does everyone choose Israel?
Does anyone have information on local yeshivish seminaries?

yachnabobba

Post Thu, Feb 09 2023, 12:33 pm
We had an amazing recent experience in hadar. My daughter made life long friends and Rebetzin Orenstein remembers what I said on the interview till today!
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling -> Seminary Info