Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Making homemade ideas
Previous  1  2  3  4

amother
Jean

Post Tue, Nov 22 2022, 8:19 am
amother Purple wrote:
Probably the people who have fallen on hard times have just cut yogurt out of their available food list, honestly. They don't have the time or energy to think about something that is honestly more of a "want" and snack/treat type of item. Bread is an essential staple, yogurt is not.

Clearly you don't have picky toddlers. It's an essential protein source in this house

amother
Purple

Post Tue, Nov 22 2022, 8:30 am
amother Jean wrote:
Clearly you don't have picky toddlers. It's an essential protein source in this house

If you can't afford it, you just can't.
Believe me, I know what that's like.
People who are truly poor can't cater to picky kids. No toddler ever starved because his parents literally couldn't afford yogurt.
If you don't understand this, you haven't been that level of poor thankfully.

Amarante

Post Tue, Nov 22 2022, 9:12 am
In terms of specifics, you don't need any kind of equipment to make yogurt. You just need a bowl and someplace warm to leave the bowl while the yogurt is being made. I made it in college before there were yogurt makers.

The little containers of yogurt with fruit are not even that healthy but using yogurt with fresh fruit is extremely healthy and not a "luxury" if you make your own yogurt.

Even the large containers of plain yogurt are significantly cheaper than buying little jars.

I do agree that some suggestions don't necessarily make much economic sense when weighed against the cost of the commercial version versus the time required to make a home made version unless for some reason one actually enjoys the activity. Unless a parent who is doing this is a stay at home parent, there simply isn't time to make some of these things. Limited time would be much better spent cooking a few dishes in larger quantities and then freezing them for meals. Even freezing pizza dough makes more sense since you can pull out the pizza dough and make pizza very easily.

Reality

Post Tue, Nov 22 2022, 9:14 am
amother Purple wrote:
People who are truly poor can't cater to picky kids. No toddler ever starved because his parents literally couldn't afford yogurt.

You don't need a yogurt maker to make yogurt. I made it many times without one. All you need is a pot and some towels. First time you need to buy one small yogurt to be your active cultures. But after that, you save a little bit from each batch for the next one.

amother
Jean

Post Tue, Nov 22 2022, 9:16 am
amother Purple wrote:

My severely allergic and oral motor issues child probably would starve without her soy yogurt pouches (or drink more of the expensive formula) so we make it. You do what you need to do. bH I've figured out how to make her tons of specialty yogurt for under $5 a week.
Page 4 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4 Recent Topics