Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
Just when you think you've found a trustworthy influencer...

amother
OP

Post Tue, Nov 22 2022, 9:20 am
This story has a good ending.

Writing this as amother because I am embarrassed to be starting one of these "influencer" threads.

I am the LAST person to be influenced by these people. I follow like, 20 accounts, two of which are my teenage daughter, most of which are local stores. The people who I follow who I do not know personally are very few. One of them is a tznius fashion person who I will remain vague about. But she is not one of those "tznius but not at all tznius" people, if you know what I mean... she's really good and I like her content.

So, my daughter has been trying to convince me for a while to try a certain clothing brand for myself that she (my daughter) loves. I was very unsure what size to get, so I sent a DM to this specific women who promotes this brand and others that are similar in style, asking her about sizing (she is open about sizing as most of these women are). She told me she isn't as in love with the clothing item as her stories made it seem (she has a specific issue with it that I'm not going to mention to keep her identity out of this thread and please don't try to guess who she is), and I should try a different specific brand which is literally 3x the price - she gets a cut in those sales if you use her code, of course. I'm not paying 3x the price...

So I went ahead, took a guess, and ordered the clothing item I originally was asking about. I AM IN LOVE WITH IT, so much so that I ordered literally 3 more of it today. I paid the same amount for 2.5 of this item as one of the one this women recommended.

Just a reminder, even when you think you've found a trustworthy person out there, these influencers are nogea b'davar. Take their recommendation with a grain of salt. At least this women was honest with me in DM, even though her representation was not the same.

veiznisht

Post Tue, Nov 22 2022, 11:45 am
Can I ask what you ordered? Smile

scruffy

Post Tue, Nov 22 2022, 11:46 am
I'm guessing it's the miamod/ apparallel skirts

amother
Amaryllis

Post Tue, Nov 22 2022, 11:51 am
scruffy wrote:
I'm guessing it's the miamod/ apparallel skirts

Doesn’t make sense bec the apparalel skirts are a million times nicer

amother
OP

Post Tue, Nov 22 2022, 12:15 pm
veiznisht wrote:
Can I ask what you ordered? Smile

I'm not going to say because I don't want people to know who I'm talking about, as I really think she's very sweet and I don't want to take away from what she does.

amother
Pumpkin

Post Tue, Nov 22 2022, 12:36 pm
amother Amaryllis wrote:
Doesn’t make sense bec the apparalel skirts are a million times nicer

In my experience, for more curvy ladies, the MiaMod accordion pleat sits nicer and is more flattering than the Apparelel. I wear XXL 25" in Apparelel and L (not purple label) in MiaMod. The Apparelel is a little more dressy, though; the fabric is better.

amother
Cornsilk

Post Tue, Nov 22 2022, 1:05 pm
amother OP wrote:
This story has a good ending.

Writing this as amother because I am embarrassed to be starting one of these "influencer" threads.

I am the LAST person to be influenced by these people. I follow like, 20 accounts, two of which are my teenage daughter, most of which are local stores. The people who I follow who I do not know personally are very few. One of them is a tznius fashion person who I will remain vague about. But she is not one of those "tznius but not at all tznius" people, if you know what I mean... she's really good and I like her content.

So, my daughter has been trying to convince me for a while to try a certain clothing brand for myself that she (my daughter) loves. I was very unsure what size to get, so I sent a DM to this specific women who promotes this brand and others that are similar in style, asking her about sizing (she is open about sizing as most of these women are). She told me she isn't as in love with the clothing item as her stories made it seem (she has a specific issue with it that I'm not going to mention to keep her identity out of this thread and please don't try to guess who she is), and I should try a different specific brand which is literally 3x the price - she gets a cut in those sales if you use her code, of course. I'm not paying 3x the price...

So I went ahead, took a guess, and ordered the clothing item I originally was asking about. I AM IN LOVE WITH IT, so much so that I ordered literally 3 more of it today. I paid the same amount for 2.5 of this item as one of the one this women recommended.

Just a reminder, even when you think you've found a trustworthy person out there, these influencers are nogea b'davar. Take their recommendation with a grain of salt. At least this women was honest with me in DM, even though her representation was not the same.

Maybe I misunderstood, but I feel like she wasn't honest with you in her DM either. She literally tried to push you to spend more money so that she makes a bigger cut. In my understanding that would fall under lifnei ivur.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Nov 22 2022, 1:13 pm
amother Cornsilk wrote:
Maybe I misunderstood, but I feel like she wasn't honest with you in her DM either. She literally tried to push you to spend more money so that she makes a bigger cut. In my understanding that would fall under lifnei ivur.

I would not say that. I think she gave me her honest opinion on brand a in DM based on her experince, vs. what she posted on her page about that brand. In DM, she offered her recommendation for brand b, which she happens to get a cut if I were to use her code (she didn't say that code part in her DM, but it's on her stories often). But to be clear, I asked her what brand she felt would be good for my specific need and that's when she mentioned brand b.

LittleMissMama

Post Tue, Nov 22 2022, 1:40 pm
Honestly, diff. brands work for diff. people. Some people claim Kidichic and tottini are low quality but I love them both and have found great stuff for my children.

Trustworthy influencer is basically an oxymoron. Just view them as entertainment and nothing more. It's all a big commercial - do you believe commercials?

essie14

Post Tue, Nov 22 2022, 1:57 pm
Trustworthy Influencer is a total oxymoron.
For those of us old enough to remember good old fashioned commercials, that's what social media is. You just trust the person more because they seem "real" and "open" and "vulnerable ".

Who remembers this famous commercial?

He literally says he's not a doctor but he's promoting cough medicine. And why should you trust him? Because he's a handsome actor who plays a doctor on TV!
It was ridiculous then and it's ridiculous now.
Everyone making money on Instagram and TikTok are just paid advertisements.
I don't believe a word they say.

HonesttoGod

Post Tue, Nov 22 2022, 2:09 pm
You do know this has nothing to do with influencers because she recommended from her personal experience.

I mean I can recommend chocolate from here to tomorrow but my sister hates it and will hate it if she buys what I tell her to even if I say it’s amazing.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics