Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions -> Inspirational
Real life story of my kids on a bus
1  2  Next

Kiwi13

Post Tue, Nov 22 2022, 2:35 pm
I have three children, two of whom are autistic and have other special needs. One is lower functioning. As they get older and "outgrow cute" (that poem breaks my heart every time), it's harder and harder to take them out in public because of meltdowns and behavioral issues.

Anyway, I'm in the hospital and my husband is flying solo for a while until everything is sorted out with my situation. Yesterday, he took them on an Egged bus, the kind that has a mix of seating types. There were two options available to them when they boarded: a spot with 4 open seats together, and a spot nearby with only 3 open seats. Normally all of my children want their own seat. My lower functioning son is particularly adamant about having his own seat, and WHICH seat, and since there were four of them (my husband plus three kids), my husband chose the 4 seats.

But my nearly 5yo son (birthday in a few days) went ballistic. Absolutely out of character even for him. He kept pointing at the three seat spot and screaming and crying, throwing himself on the floor, biting my husband who had no clue what had gotten into our son, you get the idea. It got so bad that even though my husband didn't want to give into the tantrum, he switched out of concern for other passengers.

There weren't enough seats in the three seat area. My tantruming son's twin sister had to sit on my husband's lap. Only then did my son calm down. Moments later, the bus nearly crashed, slammed the breaks suddenly and the full grown adult who had been occupying my daughter's previous seat flew forward. My husband saw at least one adult passenger who fell on the ground, hard, and needed assistance. He said there was no way our daughter would have been okay if not for him holding her. Our sons were protected by their positioning, but our daughter would have flown forward and likely could have been seriously injured.

I've said for this kid's whole life that he's someone very special. Cognitive tests may have placed him in the lowest categories, but it's not true. Those tests don't measure everything. Yes he has problems and he generally functions more like an 18-month old to maybe 2 years old instead of 5 years old, and he can't even sing the ABC song all the way through on his own, but then he'll randomly ask something like, and I quote, "Who made Hashem?"

He's connected. He's tapped into something great. I believe somewhere in him he sensed the danger to come and Hashem guided him to save his twin sister. To me that's a powerful thought.

Kiwi13

Post Tue, Nov 22 2022, 2:38 pm
Curious why the hugs?

Reality

Post Tue, Nov 22 2022, 2:38 pm
Wow! Just wow! BH they're all OK!

amother
Vermilion

Post Tue, Nov 22 2022, 2:39 pm
Kiwi13 wrote:
Curious why the hugs?

Maybe because it didn’t exactly end well for all. Other people did get hurt.

banana123

Post Tue, Nov 22 2022, 2:39 pm
That's amazing. Thank you for sharing.

banana123

Post Tue, Nov 22 2022, 2:40 pm
Kiwi13 wrote:
Curious why the hugs?

I hugged because - it's a tough situation in general, and knowing that your child almost got hurt is really scary and deserves a hug, and such inspiration and the ability to see it and acknowledge it, also deserve a big hug.

amother
Bergamot

Post Tue, Nov 22 2022, 2:40 pm
I genuinely hugged your post.
Because I loved the story and your positive attitude.
Hugs are sometimes sincere! Wink
ETA I liked your post too

Blessing1

Post Tue, Nov 22 2022, 2:41 pm
Wow! This is unreal!! Unbelievable! Amazing! I'm in tears! Crying

amother
cornflower

Post Tue, Nov 22 2022, 2:51 pm
Your attitude is inspiring!!
May you have lots of nachas from your bunch!!

Kiwi13

Post Tue, Nov 22 2022, 3:39 pm
amother Vermilion wrote:
Maybe because it didn’t exactly end well for all. Other people did get hurt.

Fair point. My husband said it didn't seem like anyone was hurt more than possible bruise from falling into something. One person needed assistance to stand back up, but I hope and pray that's all and that everyone is okay.

Kiwi13

Post Tue, Nov 22 2022, 3:40 pm
amother cornflower wrote:
Your attitude is inspiring!!
May you have lots of nachas from your bunch!!

Thank you. We're in a tough zone for a while right now but beH we'll be okay.

happytobemom

Post Tue, Nov 22 2022, 10:56 pm
Wow wow wow!!
Thank you for sharing!

amother
Mistyrose

Post Tue, Nov 22 2022, 11:04 pm
Kiwi13 wrote:
Curious why the hugs?

I know we are conditioned here to believing that the hugs are supposed to be sarcastic or insulting somehow, but I hugged you as one mom of an amazing and connected special needs boy to another. It's a hug of understanding, solidarity, and love! Heart

Fabulous

Post Tue, Nov 22 2022, 11:06 pm
Wow! Hashem should help further! I don’t keep up with this site all the time but I thought I remembered you writing that you were considering dif communities in Israel. Are you on a pilot trip? Did you move?

Also, Refuah shelama! (You mention being in the hospital)

amother
Honey

Post Tue, Nov 22 2022, 11:11 pm
Kiwi13 wrote:
Curious why the hugs?

Because you made me emotional... so there's a genuine hug.
Feel good, you have a lot going on

motheroftoo

Post Wed, Nov 23 2022, 12:04 am
Kiwi13 wrote:
Curious why the hugs?

Because I loved the ending to your story!

amother
Zinnia

Post Wed, Nov 23 2022, 12:05 am
amother Honey wrote:
Because you made me emotional... so there's a genuine hug.
Feel good, you have a lot going on

This!

yiddishmom

Post Wed, Nov 23 2022, 12:11 am
What a beautiful story! And it's amazing that you can see the miracles/ yad Hashem even during your tough time.

Refuah sheleima and besuros tovos!

Rappel

Post Wed, Nov 23 2022, 12:29 am
I do think there are people whom are connected to G-d's time stream in a special way.

I'm really happy that you see your son's strength, and that everyone came out okay.

Feel better!

ra_mom

Post Wed, Nov 23 2022, 12:41 am
Hodu L'Hashem Kitov! That is such an emotional story. Hashem should keep protecting your entire family!
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Interesting Discussions -> Inspirational