Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Please help me figure this out!

amother
OP

Post Wed, Nov 23 2022, 1:29 pm
My baby is 2 months old and hardly sleeps during the day. I’ve had here and there where he gave me a 2-3 hour nap but otherwise it’s mostly 30 minutes to an hour.

What could be causing it?

Right now he fell asleep at 12:00. 12:45 he started crying I rocked him back to sleep. I’m sitting here since then rocking him. If I stop he wakes up.

He’s not hungry. He’s gaining beautifully.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

amother
Charcoal

Post Wed, Nov 23 2022, 1:31 pm
It's very normal for babies to cat nap during the day. My baby started taking long naps at 6 months. It's frustrating, but it's normal.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Nov 23 2022, 1:33 pm
amother Charcoal wrote:
It's very normal for babies to cat nap during the day. My baby started taking long naps at 6 months. It's frustrating, but it's normal.

Really?

How can I entertain him when he’s up? I can’t eat, shower or do jay housework. It’s 1:30 and I only had a coffee and a choc.

scruffy

Post Wed, Nov 23 2022, 1:46 pm
Mine didn't either nap very long at that age.

You can put him down on a blanket or in a playgym for some of the time. If you get a good baby carrier you can do some light housework while carrying him.

tichellady

Post Wed, Nov 23 2022, 1:48 pm
my kids are like that for about 7 months. it's impossible to do anything

amother
Charcoal

Post Wed, Nov 23 2022, 1:50 pm
amother OP wrote:
Really?

How can I entertain him when he’s up? I can’t eat, shower or do jay housework. It’s 1:30 and I only had a coffee and a choc.

Yes, it's hard to get anything done. But you don't need to entertain him. Put him in the swing, playmat, on a blanket on the floor with a toy in his line of vision.

RevitalizedMom

Post Wed, Nov 23 2022, 1:55 pm
My babies are like that too. It’s so normal but so hard. No suggestions other than try to give yourself a break when you feel you need it. Have someone else watch him for a bit and also, don’t expect much housework to get done.

Hang in there! It gets easier when they get older and can play more independently

amother
White

Post Wed, Nov 23 2022, 2:04 pm
Very normal sleep schedule at that age. My oldest napped 30ish min at a time unless he was being held until we consolidated down to 2 naps a day at 7/8 months.

He doesn’t NEED to be entertained the entire time he’s awake. You can set him on a play mat, in a bouncer, swing, etc so you can get done what you need to get done. If he’s kvetchy, try baby wearing. It’s easy while they’re smaller. I’ve brought the play mat into the bathroom with me to shower before my babies were mobile. And even afterwards occasionally in the exersaucer when I really needed to

amother
Gray

Post Wed, Nov 23 2022, 2:08 pm
Do you still swaddle? Keep the room dark? Have a noise machine?
This is against medical advice, but some babies sleep better on their tummies.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Nov 23 2022, 2:09 pm
He starts crying after a few minutes if I put him down with any type of toy / gym / rocker.

amother
Lemonchiffon

Post Wed, Nov 23 2022, 2:13 pm
At that age, babys awake time limit is about 1.5 hours.
That means that baby needs to go to sleep 1.5 hours after waking.
Maybe your baby is too overtired and that is why he/she is not sleeping well.

At that age, mine did about 1 big nap, and 2 40 min naps. She was good in evening and gave me a stretch, from 8-12 or something. Those days are over... I was less tired then, now she is up every 2 hours and I am zonked! (6m old)

amother
Seagreen

Post Wed, Nov 23 2022, 2:20 pm
amother OP wrote:
Really?

There's something called the Possum Method which I recommend you look into! It emphasizes not stressing about how long naps are, wake windows, etc. Just following baby's cues.

Baby wear him or put him in a baby Bjorn bouncer and bounce him with your foot while you eat

I've showered with my babies before. Just sit on the floor of the shower and slowly and carefully wash yourself with baby shampoo/soap.

Housework is hard, try putting him in a baby swing for 20 min and throw in a load of laundry, prep dinner, wash dishes, etc. If he's still happy, move him to a playmat or inside an extra large playpen and let him listen to music or look at interesting mobiles etc

amother
Junglegreen

Post Wed, Nov 23 2022, 3:54 pm
My baby was like that
I was losing my mind, trying to figure out how to get longer naps, rocking and all that
Next baby I will NOT make myself crazy
My baby was a cat napper. Nothing I did or didnt do would change that.

Its definitely hard because you cant get anything done. Baruch Hashem at 8 months she consolidated to just 2 naps and sleeps longer at naps and at night.

For your sanity go out on walks, go out and let baby nap in the car/stroller...put baby in bouncer while you shower, swing while you eat...
Those who say baby cant cry for a few minutes did NOT have baby like ours!
I cant go without using the bathroom all day so yes baby will cry fof a minute while I go

amother
OP

Post Wed, Nov 23 2022, 4:17 pm
For the ima that mentioned 1.5 hours wake time. I’m aware of that. I’m in middle of taking the takingcarababies course. He goes to sleep but doesn’t sleep long.

I have tried every swing, rocker etc. he doesn’t want to be put down. When am I supposed to get housework done?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Nov 23 2022, 4:18 pm
amother Gray wrote:
Do you still swaddle? Keep the room dark? Have a noise machine?
This is against medical advice, but some babies sleep better on their tummies.

I do all of these and he sleeps well at night. Just during the day not.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Nov 23 2022, 4:19 pm
He’s miserable and absolutely hates the doona. I would go out but he shrieks the entire time.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Nov 23 2022, 4:20 pm
I just tried putting him on the gym playmat and he wouldn’t have it. Not on his tummy and not on his back. He’ll last a few min in the mamaroo.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics