Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping -> Household Products, Kitchen Appliances, Furniture & Cars
Dehydrator-do you have one?

shanie5

Post Tue, Nov 22 2022, 8:24 pm
Thinking about getting one, but would like to know if you find it useful or a waste of space.

Frumwithallergies

Post Tue, Nov 22 2022, 8:32 pm
I have a lot of kitchen gadgets, but no dehydrator.
I am curious: is this for twice yearly bulk preparation of food, or are you thinking of small amounts on a weekly basis?

MiracleMama

Post Tue, Nov 22 2022, 8:37 pm
I had one. For the first year, maybe year and a half, I used it almost around the clock and because of that it was worth the tremendous counter space it took up. (There are smaller ones out there than the one got, but if you want to produce decent size batches of stuff, you need the big guy).

When I started using it a lot less often (partly life was busier and partly I was just kind of over dehydrating everything) it became a waste of space I resented and ultimately I gave mine away.

These days many ovens have low enough temperatures that they can be used to do a good amount of dehydrating. It won't be a low enough temp to consider it "raw food" if that's your goal, but I don't think most people care about that.

Elfrida

Post Tue, Nov 22 2022, 9:47 pm
My air fryer has a dehydrator setting. I keep thinking about it, but haven't tried it yet. It's an eight hour program, and I want to be around the first time I use it, so I can see how things go. Waiting for a day when I can spend eight hours at home!

shanie5

Post Wed, Nov 23 2022, 12:35 pm
Frumwithallergies wrote:
I have a lot of kitchen gadgets, but no dehydrator.
I am curious: is this for twice yearly bulk preparation of food, or are you thinking of small amounts on a weekly basis?

Probably every week or 2. For healthier snacks like dried fruits

shanie5

Post Wed, Nov 23 2022, 12:37 pm
MiracleMama wrote:
I had one. For the first year, maybe year and a half, I used it almost around the clock and because of that it was worth the tremendous counter space it took up. (There are smaller ones out there than the one got, but if you want to produce decent size batches of stuff, you need the big guy).

When I started using it a lot less often (partly life was busier and partly I was just kind of over dehydrating everything) it became a waste of space I resented and ultimately I gave mine away.

These days many ovens have low enough temperatures that they can be used to do a good amount of dehydrating. It won't be a low enough temp to consider it "raw food" if that's your goal, but I don't think most people care about that.

Can I ask what you made with it?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Shopping -> Household Products, Kitchen Appliances, Furniture & Cars