Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Is there a way to use keurig machine at work-kashrus concern

amother
OP

Post Tue, Nov 22 2022, 10:53 pm
Is there a way to use keurig machine at work if youre not sure if it is ever used with nonkosher pods?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Nov 23 2022, 4:18 pm
Bump

amother
Lime

Post Wed, Nov 23 2022, 4:28 pm
AYLOR

My mother’s workplace had a keurig and one of the employees accidentally used a non kosher pod. They were told it is not kasherable. The second time it happened they decided not to get another one.

But I’m sure there are other opinions out there, find out what your Rav holds.

Bnei Berak 10

Post Wed, Nov 23 2022, 4:32 pm
amother Lime wrote:
AYLOR

My mother’s workplace had a keurig and one of the employees accidentally used a non kosher pod. They were told it is not kasherable. The second time it happened they decided not to get another one.

But I’m sure there are other opinions out there, find out what your Rav holds.

What's in a non-kosher pod?
Did they buy a new coffee machine after the first incident?

amother
Lime

Post Wed, Nov 23 2022, 4:33 pm
Bnei Berak 10 wrote:
What's in a non-kosher pod?
Did they buy a new coffee machine after the first incident?

Yes they bought a new one. I don’t know what kind of non kosher pod, sorry!

But I highly doubt that all Rabbonim agree on this. It’s worth it to ask and find out.

amother
Mintgreen

Post Wed, Nov 23 2022, 4:39 pm
Super curious what's a non kosher pod? Is it something other than coffee?

amother
Lime

Post Wed, Nov 23 2022, 4:44 pm
amother Mintgreen wrote:

Maybe flavored coffee, hot cocoa? I don’t know. I could ask my mother later if it’s particularly important!

amother
Kiwi

Post Wed, Nov 23 2022, 4:45 pm
I brought my own coffee machine to work. It’s a Nespresso, not a keurig- but I like to keep my stuff separate.

Bnei Berak 10

Post Wed, Nov 23 2022, 4:52 pm
amother Lime wrote:
Yes they bought a new one. I don’t know what kind of non kosher pod, sorry!

But I highly doubt that all Rabbonim agree on this. It’s worth it to ask and find out.

Glad I am not the office manager there Smile I would NEVER have agreed to buy a new machine. Like no way in h-ll.

amother
Clematis

Post Wed, Nov 23 2022, 4:53 pm
amother Mintgreen wrote:

All flavored coffee needs a hechsher.

amother
Maize

Post Wed, Nov 23 2022, 4:55 pm
From the OU:

Q: The Keurig was used for an uncertified flavor just minutes ago. Can I kasher it by just running a cycle of hot water?

A: In an office environment where it is not possible to idle the Keurig for 24 hours (I.e. the machine is used every day by co-workers with potentially non-kosher or dairy K-Cup® packs), one may be lenient to kasher the Keurig machine without waiting 24 hours. One should wipe out the cup holder all around (inside and underneath) with damp paper towels and then run hot water through the machine so that it touches all surfaces. It has been found that ripping out the bottom of a Styrofoam cup and placing it over the bottom of the cup holder will cause the holder to fill with hot water.

Kashering with irui is acceptable since the Keurig machine works through irui. The few ounces of hot coffee that run through these pipes do not qualify as an extended irui. In industrial settings we view the flow of product through the pipes as a continuation of the kli rishon, because the irui of hundreds of gallons of water for an extended period of time saturates the walls of the pipes such that there are no difanos mikareros. This obviously does not take place in a Keurig machine. Therefore, any non-kosher bliyos would not penetrate further than a k’dei klipa of the piping. By running a cup of hot water through the pipes there will definitely be more than shishim k’neged this k’dei klipa1. Although Rema (O.C. 452:2 as explained by Pri Migadim) writes that the minhag is not to kasher ben yomo kailim even if one will have shishim, in shas hadchak situations, one may be maikel2.

Q: In my heimishe office, someone by accident treifed up the Keurig Brewer. Can it be kashered?

A: The Keurig machine is mostly made of plastic. While there are differing opinions as to whether plastic can be kashered for Pesach, the prevailing opinion is that for year-round use one may kasher plastic. Therefore, if one purchased a used Keurig machine they may kasher it by cleaning out the cup holder, making sure it has not been used in 24 hours and then kashering by running hot water through the system.

https://www.ou.org/news/ou_kos.....sach/

amother
Mintgreen

Post Wed, Nov 23 2022, 4:57 pm
amother Maize wrote:
From the OU:

Q: The Keurig was used for an uncertified flavor just minutes ago. Can I kasher it by just running a cycle of hot water?

A: In an office environment where it is not possible to idle the Keurig for 24 hours (I.e. the machine is used every day by co-workers with potentially non-kosher or dairy K-Cup® packs), one may be lenient to kasher the Keurig machine without waiting 24 hours. One should wipe out the cup holder all around (inside and underneath) with damp paper towels and then run hot water through the machine so that it touches all surfaces. It has been found that ripping out the bottom of a Styrofoam cup and placing it over the bottom of the cup holder will cause the holder to fill with hot water.

Kashering with irui is acceptable since the Keurig machine works through irui. The few ounces of hot coffee that run through these pipes do not qualify as an extended irui. In industrial settings we view the flow of product through the pipes as a continuation of the kli rishon, because the irui of hundreds of gallons of water for an extended period of time saturates the walls of the pipes such that there are no difanos mikareros. This obviously does not take place in a Keurig machine. Therefore, any non-kosher bliyos would not penetrate further than a k’dei klipa of the piping. By running a cup of hot water through the pipes there will definitely be more than shishim k’neged this k’dei klipa1. Although Rema (O.C. 452:2 as explained by Pri Migadim) writes that the minhag is not to kasher ben yomo kailim even if one will have shishim, in shas hadchak situations, one may be maikel2.

Q: In my heimishe office, someone by accident treifed up the Keurig Brewer. Can it be kashered?

A: The Keurig machine is mostly made of plastic. While there are differing opinions as to whether plastic can be kashered for Pesach, the prevailing opinion is that for year-round use one may kasher plastic. Therefore, if one purchased a used Keurig machine they may kasher it by cleaning out the cup holder, making sure it has not been used in 24 hours and then kashering by running hot water through the system.

Boom 💥

amother
Yellow

Post Wed, Nov 23 2022, 5:02 pm
I was recently in the hospital and the nurse brought me hot water from the Keurig. When I was up to getting up I took a look and all the pods in the cabinet had a hechsher, I kind of figured if it was used for something else it was long ago and lots of hot water went through since then.

I thought that if I'm allowed to press the bed buttons on Shabbos (with a shinui) I can probably be meikil on this. (The other choice was waiting for DH to go to Bikur Cholim room and the water would not have been hot by the time he came back, that's when he was around which a lot of the time he was not.)

I should probably find out about this in case cholilah I'm the hospital again...

amother
Maize

Post Wed, Nov 23 2022, 5:04 pm
amother Clematis wrote:
All flavored coffee needs a hechsher.

Yes, to drink. But according to some poskim, uncertified flavored coffee does not compromise the machine's kashrus.

See footnotes 9 and 11 in this Star-K article: https://www.star-k.org/article.....7/#12

Non-kosher soup pods (apparently they exist) or non-kosher hot chocolate, on the other hand, would be more problematic.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Nov 23 2022, 10:27 pm
amother Maize wrote:
From the OU:

thanks so when it says run hot water on every surface what do they mean? and why does the holder need water on it with the styrofoam piece?

amother
Maroon

Post Wed, Nov 23 2022, 11:23 pm
amother Yellow wrote:

I thought that if I'm allowed to press the bed buttons on Shabbos (with a shinui) I can probably be meikil on this. (The other choice was waiting for DH to go to Bikur Cholim room and the water would not have been hot by the time he came back, that's when he was around which a lot of the time he was not.)

I should probably find out about this in case cholilah I'm the hospital again...

You should find out because these are two very different things

Bnei Berak 10

Post Thu, Nov 24 2022, 5:47 am
amother Yellow wrote:
I was recently in the hospital and the nurse brought me hot water from the Keurig. When I was up to getting up I took a look and all the pods in the cabinet had a hechsher, I kind of figured if it was used for something else it was long ago and lots of hot water went through since then.

Pressing an alarm button in a hospital with shinui and pressing a button for hot water are two very different things.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen