Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
High calorie intake for 3 year old- food ideas

amother
OP

Post Wed, Nov 23 2022, 2:30 pm
My 3 year olde weight has been static for the past 6 months. He has GERD and the gastroenterologist said we should try a high calorie diet before we do surgery.
Any ideas? he only eats very little at a time so I would like him to have tasty and exciting foods that I can send with him as we are aiming for 6 small meals a day.

Bnei Berak 10

Post Wed, Nov 23 2022, 3:08 pm
Butter
Peanut butter
Sweet cream

amother
Arcticblue

Post Wed, Nov 23 2022, 3:24 pm
Pasta with almond powder and sugar!!! Delicious!
Make pancake with almond flour and full fat cottage cheese

#BestBubby

Post Wed, Nov 23 2022, 3:27 pm
Avocado

Greek yogurt

Ground beef meatballs

Chopped liver

Eggs

Cheese sticks

amother
Milk

Post Wed, Nov 23 2022, 3:55 pm
I highly recommend seeing a nutritionist who specializes in this age group. Helped our 2 year old gain when she wasn't and nothing we did made a difference. A fantastic investment.

High fat foods, very oily foods, or foods that are very creamy, often exacerbate reflux, which makes it a challenge. Also spicy foods (even basics like onion and garlic) can aggravate it, so keep these to lower levels in your cooking. Acidic food, like citurs or tomato can also make it worse, so keep amounts of those low as well.

Trying to remember what the nutrtionist told us when dd was 2. Everything she eats should have protein and fat in it, from a meal down to the smallest snack. No snacks allowed that were just carbs, or just fruit, or just vegetables. For fat, even just a teaspoon of olive oil, a little yogurt, or some nut butter, or a bit of dairy, etc (again, because of the reflux, don't go too high fat here). For protein, add cheese (not always great for reflux, so don't overdo it), eggs, fish, chicken, meat (not fatty), legumes, nut butters, etc.

The nutritionist also said to have one meat/chicken meal every day, it really helps with weight gain - if using meat, cut off obvious fat - lots of things work here - spaghetti and meatballs, schnitzel and salad, roasted chicken on the bone with potatoes and carrots underneath, meatloaf made with flour and vegetables inside, chicken soup with noodles, chicken or beef stir fries with rice noodles or egg noddles and vegetables (may not be the best for reflux, keep the oil content and spiciness down).

So instead of just crackers, crackers and almond butter or cream cheese or tuna salad. Instead of plain vegetables, sprinkle on a little cheese and brown it in the oven. Vegetable soups should have lentils or beans or split peas, and sautee the veggies first in a bit of olive or canola oil. Instead of plain fruit, apples and bananas with peanut butter.

EVerything became some kind of pancake or patty or muffin to make them a whole meal in one food item and very yummy, since they usually have flour or other carb, plus eggs for protein, a little oil for frying or in the recipe for fat, and a fruit or vegetable. Applesauce pancakes, blueberry pancakes, baby food pancakes (use any fruit based baby food), sweet potato pancakes, mashed banana pancakes, cottage cheese pancakes with peaches inside. Also potato patties (like latkes), spinach and cheese patties, lentil patties. Also things like banana nut bread, zucchini bread (I think with cinnamon). And lots of muffins - make with oats or whole wheat and includ applesauce or banana and/or whole fruits like blueberries or dried cranberries or cut up apple pieces. Kugels and quiches also work great - sweet noodle kugel with apples, broccoli kugel, vegetable kugel, potato/carrot/zucchini kugel, sweet carrot kugel. Vegetable omelettes with or without cheese inside a pita or on bread are also good.

We also tried soups like chicken soup and others, we tried broths with chunks, pureed soups, etc, but dd wasn't into it. Other kids love it, so probably worth trying.

We also found that presentation helped - when we served individual foods together (like a plate with cut up veggies and a string cheese and some crackers), we arranged the foods like faces, flowers, etc. dd loved it and often ate more of it.

Lastly, reflux does best with 4-6 small/medium meals instead of 3 big ones. That really helped dd as well. Even if you want to stick with 3 meals, have timed snacks. Too long on an empty stomach can aggravate reflux, as can eating too often or being too full. So we had a period where we made sure she ate every 3 hours or so, alternating between medium sized meals and medium sized snacks, or just 4-6 small meals spread out over the day without more than a few hours going by.

Also, we had varying luck with medication, but if you haven't tried it, it is probably better than surgery.

Good luck!

amother
Viola

Post Wed, Nov 23 2022, 3:59 pm
Does Gerd prevent children from gaining weight? What will the surgery do? Do they know what's causing the gerd?

amother
Anemone

Post Wed, Nov 23 2022, 4:02 pm
Try Pediasure.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Nov 23 2022, 5:44 pm
Thank you so much for your replies, I really appreciate it.
He is on PPI meds and they have already upped his dose, from 10mg to 20mg and its also not the best, his gastro doc said that surgery comes with its own risk so she doesn't want to rush into it. We are going to see a dietician that will advise us if he should go on some high calorie shakes.
Surgery for a child this age is really last resort, but if he doesn't gain weight then they will have to do it.

mha3484

Post Wed, Nov 23 2022, 5:47 pm
Are you considering the nissin? I had one as a newborn almost 40 years ago for severe GERD. You can PM me if you want.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Nov 23 2022, 5:52 pm
mha3484 wrote:
Are you considering the nissin? I had one as a newborn almost 40 years ago for severe GERD. You can PM me if you want.

I don't know, Gasto only said surgery. She is going to meet the surgeon and we will meet again in March, she wants to give him enough time to gain weight. I will def PM you for advice if that's what he will need. Thanks!

amother
Viola

Post Wed, Nov 23 2022, 6:11 pm
Is this a medically complex child? If the gerd is so severe that child isn't gaining weight, how will stuffing them with calorically dense foods help? Is anyone actually looking for causes? Have you looked into oral ties? Food Allergies or sensitivities? EoE?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Nov 23 2022, 7:06 pm
amother Viola wrote:
Is this a medically complex child? If the gerd is so severe that child isn't gaining weight, how will stuffing them with calorically dense foods help? Is anyone actually looking for causes? Have you looked into oral ties? Food Allergies or sensitivities? EoE?

Since he was a baby he was always difficult and vomited a lot, whenever I went to the doctor I was told that he is gaining weight so there is nothing to do. Around a year ago, I decided enough is enough he was vomiting some days up to 5 times, bed linen could be changed 3 times a night... I saw a gastroenterologist and she straight away suspected GERD but it was just confirmed 4 months ago when he had an endoscopy. They took some biopsies and he does not have EoE.
It is the first time that his weight was a problem coz he has gained 200g in 6 months.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics