Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
How much should I expect to get paid?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Nov 23 2022, 12:05 pm
Bh I’ve been lucky to have been a stay at home mom for almost 20 years. I would like to go out to work and have zero working experience. I know I will be starting from the bottom but wondering what’s the going rate for someone like me. I want to make sure I’m not being taken for a ride. I haven’t found a job yet but will likely want to work in an office with other women. I’m also looking for a job where I can grow. I don’t want a dead end job. I’m aware my kids are all in school and now I have an opportunity to do something for myself and working out of the house is what I would like to do. I’m in Brooklyn btw.

ShishKabob

Post Wed, Nov 23 2022, 12:54 pm
If you know how to navigate computers and are responsible, I think you should be getting paid as much as a graduate does. From what I've heard in Brooklyn it's $23 - $25. Correct me if I'm wrong imamothers.
Wishing you lots of hatzlocha in balancing everything. Give yourself time to adjust!

amother
OP

Post Wed, Nov 23 2022, 6:27 pm
Ty! Amen

amother
Ghostwhite

Post Wed, Nov 23 2022, 6:35 pm
ShishKabob wrote:
If you know how to navigate computers and are responsible, I think you should be getting paid as much as a graduate does. From what I've heard in Brooklyn it's $23 - $25. Correct me if I'm wrong imamothers.
Wishing you lots of hatzlocha in balancing everything. Give yourself time to adjust!

I could be wrong, but that sounds like much to me. When I worked in Brooklyn a couple of years ago, with a bachelor's degree, but for a job that didn't require a degree I was getting 20 an hour, and that was with experience. For reference it was in a medical office.

amother
Gardenia

Post Wed, Nov 23 2022, 6:37 pm
I think 20 is normal if you're starting out. 23-25 is the norm in Lakewood now.

HonesttoGod

Post Wed, Nov 23 2022, 8:07 pm
With no experience or degree you’re looking at $15-18. Maybe maybe $20 if it’s a bigger office.

amother
Violet

Post Wed, Nov 23 2022, 8:28 pm
My MIL is the same kind of situation. She just got a job as a salesperson is a store in Boro Park.
They begged her take the job because they desperately needed someone and she's making $25 an hour.

She works part time.

amother
Bisque

Post Wed, Nov 23 2022, 8:31 pm
HonesttoGod wrote:
With no experience or degree you’re looking at $15-18. Maybe maybe $20 if it’s a bigger office.

Granted I’m in Lakewood but I can’t believe ppl are still paying $15 an hour. Even my friends working remotely in Israel at home for American companies are making more than that. I hope the offices in Brooklyn aren’t paying that little.

foreverforward

Post Wed, Nov 23 2022, 8:33 pm
#liveinlakewood

just started going out to work- I get paid 25

this is the starting salary now

amother
Clematis

Post Wed, Nov 23 2022, 8:39 pm
funkymom2.0 wrote:
#liveinlakewood

just started going out to work- I get paid 25

this is the starting salary now

And when they have a year or two of experince. How much are those getting paid? I heard a crazy number and I want to know if thats the norm now.

Alwaysmiling

Post Wed, Nov 23 2022, 8:40 pm
$20 will be prob be the average.
As an employee consultant I can advise you that always try to set up an agreement when you start that will satisfy your employer and help you get a raise and faster. For e.x. if someone offers you $18 you should agree to that but let the employer know that you are ready to except this rate since you are new and you did not prove yourself but once the dust settles, aprox 10-12 weeks and employer is happy with your work the rate should be raised to $23.
This way is very appealing to employers' since they are not taking any risks and once you prove yourself there is a previous discussed raise ready to put into action.

foreverforward

Post Wed, Nov 23 2022, 8:47 pm
amother Clematis wrote:
And when they have a year or two of experince. How much are those getting paid? I heard a crazy number and I want to know if thats the norm now.

If your looking for a new job with experience, you may get paid a lot more but for someone who's already in a job, its hard to get a raise. I know someone who was working for longer somewhere and starting salary was under 25 then (now that same place is offering 25) and now she's pushing really hard to raise to 25. (I don't know if she's having such a hard time because she's not the greatest worker;)

notshanarishona

Post Wed, Nov 23 2022, 9:00 pm
amother Bisque wrote:
Granted I’m in Lakewood but I can’t believe ppl are still paying $15 an hour. Even my friends working remotely in Israel at home for American companies are making more than that. I hope the offices in Brooklyn aren’t paying that little.

I used to work remotely from Israel for a American law firm. I started out at $7 an hour and eventually made it to $10.
(Granted that was about 15 years ago)

ShishKabob

Post Thu, Nov 24 2022, 10:29 am
You can't compare even 2 years ago to the pricing now. It jumped considerably.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics