Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
1 yr old baby weighs 19.5 lbs
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Wed, Nov 23 2022, 8:00 pm
So my baby is 13 months... he's skinny but not too skinny. He eats 3 meals a day plus snacks and nurses just a few times.

He's picky with his eating but I think not overly picky.

I was worried that his weight is too low but Dr says it's fine. I still have that niggling feeling of guilt that maybe he's not gaining enough weight.

Anyone had 1 yr old weigh less than 20 lbs? Or is it normal? How can I fatten him up a bit?

amother
Outerspace

Post Wed, Nov 23 2022, 8:03 pm
None of my children (6 ba"h) were 20 lb. when they turned 1!
Most about 18 lb, one baby even less.
If your doctor isn't worried, you for sure shouldn't be!
Certainly don't try to fatten him up - just feed him normally, if he's hungry, he'll let you know!

amother
Cinnamon

Post Wed, Nov 23 2022, 8:03 pm
My 22 month old weighs as of last week 20.2 pounds.....of the doctor is fine and baby is growing don't worry.

Fabulous

Post Wed, Nov 23 2022, 8:04 pm
Agreed. If they stay on approx same curve, it’s fine. But you can always give full fat things like yogurt, avocado, salmon etc

amother
Clear

Post Wed, Nov 23 2022, 8:05 pm
My kids were all under 20 lbs at 1 years old. They were around 17 lbs. The doctor wasn't concerned. They're just petite. My 3.5 year old weighs 22 lbs.

amother
Iris

Post Wed, Nov 23 2022, 8:06 pm
My oldest weighed 19 pounds at 15 months (I remember because she had to have tubes put in and they had to get an exact weight for anesthesiology). Actually, I don't think any of my kids weighed over 20 pounds at a year old. As long as you're child is eating sufficiently , growing along his/her growth curve, and meeting milestones they'd no reason to be concerned. If you're worried he/she may not be eating enough give an extra cup or 2 of whole milk throughout the day.

amother
Daylily

Post Wed, Nov 23 2022, 8:49 pm
amother OP wrote:
So my baby is 13 months... he's skinny but not too skinny. He eats 3 meals a day plus snacks and nurses just a few times.

I was worried that his weight is too low but Dr says it's fine. I still have that niggling feeling of guilt that maybe he's not gaining enough weight.

Anyone had 1 yr old weigh less than 20 lbs? Or is it normal? How can I fatten him up a bit?

My 20 month old weighs 20 lbs….

In general the Dr always said as long as he’s on his growth curve plus he can see he’s not emaciated -like he has a tummy he wasn’t worried.

amother
Jean

Post Wed, Nov 23 2022, 9:08 pm
My smallest kid was 14 lbs at a year (!) and my largest was 19 lbs.
We are all short

amother
Magenta

Post Wed, Nov 23 2022, 10:26 pm
My daughter weighed 20 lbs at a year. Seems to be normal- she has well-rounded meals, loves to eat. "Fattening up" instead of letting baby eat intuitively can cause eating issues, just let him gain at his own rate.

amother
Hyacinth

Post Wed, Nov 23 2022, 10:45 pm
Mine was 20 lbs at 18 months.
My husband is skinny it's in his genes.

amother
Arcticblue

Post Thu, Nov 24 2022, 4:20 am
What are you afraid of?

amother
Dimgray

Post Thu, Nov 24 2022, 4:25 am
None of my children hit 20 lbs at a year.

amother
Bellflower

Post Thu, Nov 24 2022, 4:29 am
I have 7 kids. One of them was over 20 lbs at a year. Incidentally, she was also the kid who went from 7#15oz to 11# in 6 weeks.

cuties' mom

Post Thu, Nov 24 2022, 4:32 am
Neither of my kids were 20lb at a year. They were both skinny until they turned 11 when they became extremely overweight. Toddler weight isn't something to worry about unless your doctor is concerned.

amother
Teal

Post Thu, Nov 24 2022, 4:37 am
Yeah, 2 of my 3 were under 20 at a year old and my bigger kid was just barely over. As has been said upthread, it's all about following your own growth curve.

amother
Foxglove

Post Thu, Nov 24 2022, 4:39 am
It’s normal.
My baby is 14 months and weighs 19 pounds too.

amother
Mintcream

Post Thu, Nov 24 2022, 4:52 am
Also depends how tall they are. If they are not tall they don't have to weigh that much.

imasinger

Post Thu, Nov 24 2022, 4:59 am
None of my kids were 20 lbs at a year either.

The conventional guideline for a long time was double birth weight by 6 months, triple by a year. Both plus or minus at least a couple of pounds.

I'm concerned that you don't believe your pediatrician, OP. It's important to have one you trust. Are there other reasons?

amother
Cappuccino

Post Thu, Nov 24 2022, 5:29 am
Soke kids are just skinny. As long as they are growing and not dipping down in weight its not something to be concerned about. I always felt like a bad mother with my first bec he was so skinny and all my neices and nephews were so chunky. But ive just come tp realize that I have skinny babies. None of my kids were 20lbs by a year. In fact my almost 6 yo is still less than 40lbs.

Ema of 5

Post Thu, Nov 24 2022, 5:30 am
amother OP wrote:

My kids were ALL less than 20lbs at a year. My ped always said “we want to see them triple their birthweight by one year” but that doesn’t always happen.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics