Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Who else doesn’t allow barbies
1  2  3  4  Next

amother
OP

Post Wed, Nov 23 2022, 10:48 pm
In the house because you don’t want your daughter to think you have to be blond with huge b00bs and no waist???
I don’t know how they are so popular. The concept is disgusting and devaluing for our daughters!

amother
Obsidian

Post Wed, Nov 23 2022, 10:50 pm
I'd never allow it. They're just not a refined type of doll.

TravelHearter

Post Wed, Nov 23 2022, 10:51 pm
Me Hi
So many things wrong with it

Last edited by TravelHearter on Wed, Nov 23 2022, 10:52 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Acacia

Post Wed, Nov 23 2022, 10:52 pm
Never. So many other nice options to choose from.

Refine

Post Wed, Nov 23 2022, 10:52 pm
Me.
I don't think it's a realistic figure and don't want my girls to have body image issues.
That's besides the tznius concerns.

amother
Tealblue

Post Wed, Nov 23 2022, 10:53 pm
I didn't know anyone still does have barbies!

amother
Whitesmoke

Post Wed, Nov 23 2022, 10:56 pm
We don't have any Barbies (ok maybe two that were a gift), but honestly, other than the unrealistic figure, Barbie is an astronaut, doctor, vet, artist, etc, owns like 5 dream houses and a dozen luxury vehicles, has lots of friends, and a boyfriend. Ken. (Who would not exist if it weren't for Barbie). Does Ken have a dream house? I think not. I'm not going to go out of my way to buy them but I don't think they're all that terrible, either.

Anyway, I'd much rather Barbies than LOL dolls, who wear fishnets....

amother
Aqua

Post Wed, Nov 23 2022, 11:03 pm
Never bought them and my kids have never asked for them. We're in a pretty mixed OOT community hashkafa wise, but I don't think it's even a thing here.

amother
Turquoise

Post Wed, Nov 23 2022, 11:04 pm
We don't allow them either.

keeptrying

Post Wed, Nov 23 2022, 11:06 pm
Literally the body “figure” that Barbie promotes is not possible to achieve. It’s horrible for body image

amother
Seablue

Post Wed, Nov 23 2022, 11:06 pm
I don't buy Barbies or lol dolls. But personally in my opinion lol dolls are worse. My parents never let us have Barbies and I don't bring it into my house either.

amother
Firethorn

Post Wed, Nov 23 2022, 11:08 pm
I dunno, I loved barbies as a little girl. I had a few different sets and lots of accessories, and I could spend hours playing with them. I don't think I ever noticed or paid attention to their body shape and size. They were just fun dolls to play with. I certainly didn't get any "message" from them that I need to be super skinny or anything like that.
I remember the first time I read a thread on imamother about how barbies are bad. I was honestly shocked. Maybe I'm just naive, but I don't see anything wrong with it.

amother
Bone

Post Wed, Nov 23 2022, 11:11 pm
amother Firethorn wrote:
I dunno, I loved barbies as a little girl. I had a few different sets and lots of accessories, and I could spend hours playing with them. I don't think I ever noticed or paid attention to their body shape and size. They were just fun dolls to play with. I certainly didn't get any "message" from them that I need to be super skinny or anything like that.
I remember the first time I read a thread on imamother about how barbies are bad. I was honestly shocked. Maybe I'm just naive, but I don't see anything wrong with it.

This (first paragraph). But I still don't allow them in my house for various other reasons..

amother
Canary

Post Wed, Nov 23 2022, 11:16 pm
amother Firethorn wrote:

SAME!! body size was not something I knew to even think of. I just wanted to dress them up and play! I've gotten much worse messages through social media, billboards, magazines, storefronts, the street, literally anywhere you turn. I don't think we can just point fingers at barbie dolls. I don't think kids that age would even notice UNLESS you make a big deal out of it.

amother
Daisy

Post Wed, Nov 23 2022, 11:35 pm
amother Firethorn wrote:

Totally on the same page! Kids don’t think about body image when playing with dolls.

Frumwithallergies

Post Wed, Nov 23 2022, 11:35 pm
No
Nope we have avoided it for 14+ years and a house full of girls

HonesttoGod

Post Wed, Nov 23 2022, 11:44 pm
On the contrary growing up Barbie was so unrealistic her body was a “doll” body and not at all human. I mean literally her b00bs alone made her topple over forward.

gr82no

Post Wed, Nov 23 2022, 11:47 pm
I wouldn’t let it because they are not dressed tzniusdik.
But I did have a few as a little girl and I did not pay attention to the body shape. A lot of dolls have blond hair. Her eyes looked very fake to me. I didn’t care so much for it but I had no concept of body image. I think at one point I stopped playing with them because the legs broke off and it wasn’t tznius.
I preferred to play with my bigger doll that had no hair and was soft. I still miss that doll.

amother
Hosta

Post Wed, Nov 23 2022, 11:55 pm
amother Tealblue wrote:
I didn't know anyone still does have barbies!

My daughter asked for one. So someone out there still has them.

(I told her no. I also told her no American girl doll, for a different reason)

iammom

Post Thu, Nov 24 2022, 12:08 am
amother Firethorn wrote:

I agree. I do not have any body image issues from playing with barbies. We spent hours in an imaginative play world with the barbies (I’m sure my mother was happy that I was kept busy).
Page 1 of 4 1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics