Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Who else doesn’t allow barbies
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

amother
Chicory

Post Wed, Nov 23 2022, 9:17 pm
Me! Girls don't need any extra help getting eating disorders and body dysmorphia. It's already hard enough.

tichellady

Post Wed, Nov 23 2022, 9:25 pm
I think it's ok for toys to just be toys. I used to worry about the moral messages of all sorts of things and now I think we don't need to overthink things. I played with barbie's and never thought I was supposed to look like one. I don't think it ever crossed my mind. I think to adults the whole notion is odd but I don't think kids think about it in the same way

amother
DarkGray

Post Wed, Nov 23 2022, 10:45 pm
Barbie originated from a zex toy for men. And not changed all that much.

shabbatiscoming

Post Wed, Nov 23 2022, 10:54 pm
amother DarkGray wrote:
Barbie originated from a zex toy for men. And not changed all that much.
Where did you hear such nonsense? This is not true.
https://www.britannica.com/topic/Barbie

I wonder why its become a thing to make an issue out of every thing in this world.
I played with barbie. So did one of my sisters. Together we had a lot of barbies and a lot of clothing. Some of the clothing was even tzanua. We didnt think about anything to do with body image. We just liked playing make believe and dressing them up. It was a toy. It was never meant to be anything like real people.

amother
Midnight

Post Wed, Nov 23 2022, 10:58 pm
I'm not a fan of barbie for her hypers3xualization but my girls love to play with Polly pockets. Similar idea but just a kid body without b00bs. They have tons of shoes, set ups, outfits, accessories etc.

amother
DarkGray

Post Wed, Nov 23 2022, 11:04 pm
shabbatiscoming wrote:

I wonder why its become a thing to make an issue out of every thing in this world.
I played with barbie. So did one of my sisters. Together we had a lot of barbies and a lot of clothing. Some of the clothing was even tzanua. We didnt think about anything to do with body image. We just liked playing make believe and dressing them up. It was a toy. It was never meant to be anything like real people.

I read a book on it. But if you want a like to an article: https://www.history.com/.amp/n.....lilli
And literally a quote from the link you sent: “ Barbie’s physical appearance was modeled on the German Bild Lilli doll, a risqué gag gift for men “

SG18

Post Wed, Nov 23 2022, 11:22 pm
I had mostly Kelly dolls (the kid barbies, I think that's what they were called), but played with Barbies as well, and never had issues with body dysmorphophobia related to thinness, b**b size, being blonde...
Polly pockets are great, but the clothing can be difficult for younger kids to put on- I remember it ripping if I wasn't careful. It was like a rubberized plastic, if I remember correctly, instead of the cloth Barbie clothes.

shabbatiscoming

Post Wed, Nov 23 2022, 11:34 pm
amother DarkGray wrote:
I read a book on it. But if you want a like to an article: https://www.history.com/.amp/n.....lilli
And literally a quote from the link you sent: “ Barbie’s physical appearance was modeled on the German Bild Lilli doll, a risqué gag gift for men “
My bad. Didnt realize that.
But I still stand by what I said in my post. I think people are making an issue where there does not have to be one.

DVOM

Post Thu, Nov 24 2022, 4:11 am
tichellady wrote:
I think it's ok for toys to just be toys. I used to worry about the moral messages of all sorts of things and now I think we don't need to overthink things. I played with barbie's and never thought I was supposed to look like one. I don't think it ever crossed my mind. I think to adults the whole notion is odd but I don't think kids think about it in the same way

I loved Barbie dolls as a kid. My sister's and I loved dressing them up, making up elaborate 'set ups' for them. All of my friends had Barbie dolls too. I don't think it had any sort of negative impact on me.

This hasn't come up for me yet as a mom, because my only daughter is 16 months old, but I imagine that if she asks for a barbie doll, I'll get her one. I don't do a lot of censoring with toys. My boys have all gone through stages of wanting toy guns, toy soldiers.

I guess I don't feel strongly enough to make a battle over it.

Rappel

Post Thu, Nov 24 2022, 4:14 am
I didn't realize Barbie's are still popular. I haven't seen one in years. Here, the fashionable dolls are all Playmobil. Do kids in the States like them too?

juggling

Post Thu, Nov 24 2022, 4:17 am
Rappel wrote:
I didn't realize Barbie's are still popular. I haven't seen one in years. Here, the fashionable dolls are all Playmobil. Do kids in the States like them too?

Barbies are absolutely a thing in Israel. Take a walk through Pirat Haadom. There are plenty of them.

shabbatiscoming

Post Thu, Nov 24 2022, 4:18 am
Rappel wrote:
Of course they are still popular Smile In all the toy shops, there are many many barbies for sale.

ETA: I saw I just said the same as juggling above Smile

Last edited by shabbatiscoming on Thu, Nov 24 2022, 4:19 am; edited 1 time in total

amother
Cyclamen

Post Thu, Nov 24 2022, 4:19 am
We have Barbies. I don't have a big issue with it.

For those who don't have Barbies and live in a mixed community where some people let, would you be upset that your child played with Barbies at someone else's home?

imaamy

Post Thu, Nov 24 2022, 4:27 am
My parents were progressive. I had a Barbie but also cars and trucks. My mom knitted beautiful and tznius clothes for her. Kids are grown but the box of special memory clothes is still in my closet

amother
DarkYellow

Post Thu, Nov 24 2022, 4:42 am
I grew up with barbies and I let my kids have barbies. They play with them for hours and it's great for their imagination. They are too busy being a vet or babysitter or grocery store owner to care about what barbie looks like.

amother
Clear

Post Thu, Nov 24 2022, 4:49 am
shabbatiscoming wrote:

This. It’s become a fad.

Not everything needs to be thought into so deeply.

amother
Seafoam

Post Thu, Nov 24 2022, 4:51 am
I had barbies. (I'm chassidish btw) I loved playing with them. Her hair and clothing and accessories. I never thought to feel bad about my body because of it. As an aside I have huge b@@bs, and was always embarrassed by it. I never thought of it as s-xual or something to want.

But I can't imagine buying it for my kids. There's enough toys at there.

Frumwithallergies

Post Thu, Nov 24 2022, 5:16 am
amother Cyclamen wrote:
We have Barbies. I don't have a big issue with it.

For those who don't have Barbies and live in a mixed community where some people let, would you be upset that your child played with Barbies at someone else's home?

My daughters play / played with Barbies at friends' houses. I don't have an issue with them playing with them elsewhere.

gootlfriends

Post Thu, Nov 24 2022, 5:20 am
I had them as a child but kids haven't asked for them. We buy actual dolls and less defined little people. Most of the barbies are movie themed and my kids don't watch those either so they don't notice them.

amother
Aqua

Post Thu, Nov 24 2022, 5:21 am
Quote:

Wouldn't bother me in the slightest. I never even thought about why we don't have them in the house. I also played with them when I was little for hours and the whole body image thing never crossed my mind. But as I said above, DD has never asked for them and there are so many other toys to buy, it just never came up. I'm definitely not running our to buy them
Page 2 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics