Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Meat hechsher question for..
Previous  1  2

scruffy

Post Wed, Nov 23 2022, 1:03 pm
Cheiny wrote:
Why would you trust them for chicken then?

I guess I was thinking of Empire but the truth is that it has a second hechsher on it. So I'm not totally sure.

amother
Lightcoral

Post Wed, Nov 23 2022, 1:05 pm
yo'ma wrote:
Imamothers living in predominately jewish areas in the US.

When you buy meat, is an ou or hechsherim like that enough for you or do you also look for another one? If you are chasidish, please specify. Thanks!

We live in NY. I buy straight from a butcher who I know and trust. Not sure what hashgacha he is under.

amother
Coffee

Post Wed, Nov 23 2022, 1:06 pm
amother Pistachio wrote:
I’m not arguing, I’m giving her important information about something she asked! Just because you eat it doesn’t mean it’s fine. A mashgiach told me personally that there are big problems with just OU for meat Hashgacha. That’s why you don’t see many meat restaurants with that hashgacha and one that I know about already closed down.

I’m not sure what you mean. The vast majority of kosher restaurants in NYC are under the OU. Reserve cut, Tabernacle and Rothschild TLV come to mind. I’m sure there are many more. “A mashigach” that you spoke to likely doesn’t know more then our individual rabbis about what standards work for us. Additionally, he obviously works for a different kosher agency and probably had other motivations when giving you this info….

chili-n-cholent

Post Wed, Nov 23 2022, 1:10 pm
amother Coffee wrote:
I’m not sure what you mean. The vast majority of kosher restaurants in NYC are under the OU. Reserve cut, Tabernacle and Rothschild TLV come to mind. I’m sure there are many more. “A mashigach” that you spoke to likely doesn’t know more then our individual rabbis about what standards work for us. Additionally, he obviously works for a different kosher agency and probably had other motivations when giving you this info….

When you say they are under the OU it doesn't mean their meat only has an OU hechsher.
Almost all of these places carry only chassidish meat & chicken.
I'm fine with eating OU products but not the OU meat.

amother
Dill

Post Wed, Nov 23 2022, 2:06 pm
Cheiny wrote:
Why would you trust them for chicken then?

Shechita for chicken is not as complicated halachically as with meat.

amother
Pistachio

Post Wed, Nov 23 2022, 2:24 pm
amother Coffee wrote:

Right, he knows nothing and is a liar and you know better
No one I know eats meat with only OU
You can do what you want but don’t say it’s widely accepted on meat
For products yes not for meat

amother
Babypink

Post Wed, Nov 23 2022, 5:33 pm
I am new to the US and thought the OU was widely accepted - even for meat. Now you have me wondering what we eat - I just buy what the kosher store sells.
There is actually an "OU Glatt" hechsher - I wonder if that makes a difference to just OU on meat.

amother
Poinsettia

Post Wed, Nov 23 2022, 5:38 pm
Out of town yeshivish, and we eat OU for meat, as would most people I know.

mommyisbest

Post Wed, Nov 23 2022, 8:56 pm
I don't think OU even has plain OU meat anymore without a second hechsher. Every meat I've seen since 999 closed was OU + something else.

amother
Electricblue

Post Wed, Nov 23 2022, 9:09 pm
Yeshivish here. I wouldn’t eat if just an ou and no additional hechsher.

amother
Pistachio

Post Wed, Nov 23 2022, 9:11 pm
mommyisbest wrote:
I don't think OU even has plain OU meat anymore without a second hechsher. Every meat I've seen since 999 closed was OU + something else.

And there’s a reason for that

yo'ma

Post Thu, Nov 24 2022, 6:14 am
amother Sage wrote:
OU is enough.
Can I ask why you are wondering?

My dh and I were having a conversation about it. He said that the majority of people won’t eat the meat unless it has another hechsher, usually a chasidishe one. Mind you, most of it is politics, but that’s for another conversation.
amother Tulip wrote:
Are you planning on importing meat from Argentina?

Already do.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Thu, Nov 24 2022, 6:19 am
mommyisbest wrote:

This may be true, but I don't always know who that hechsher is to know if it's trustworthy, so how does that help?
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen