Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Who else doesn’t allow barbies
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

BrisketBoss

Post Thu, Nov 24 2022, 8:23 am
amother Midnight wrote:
I'm not a fan of barbie for her hypers3xualization but my girls love to play with Polly pockets. Similar idea but just a kid body without b00bs. They have tons of shoes, set ups, outfits, accessories etc.

Uhh the kid version of Barbie is Kelly. :- )

And I don't think breasts equals hypersexualization (I'm trying something; I'm guessing that word won't be censored). It's just part of the body, so depends what you think about kids playing with adult dolls.

I actually think the de-sexing of dolls is weird. My Kelly had buttocks under her underwear, but was 100% smooth in front.

I mean talk about your unrealistic body standards lol.

amother
NeonBlue

Post Thu, Nov 24 2022, 9:04 am
BrisketBoss wrote:
Uhh the kid version of Barbie is Kelly. :- )

And I don't think breasts equals hypersexualization (I'm trying something; I'm guessing that word won't be censored). It's just part of the body, so depends what you think about kids playing with adult dolls.

I actually think the de-sexing of dolls is weird. My Kelly had buttocks under her underwear, but was 100% smooth in front.

I mean talk about your unrealistic body standards lol.

I don’t buy Barbie’s and I don’t know anyone who does but I do have some anatomically correct dolls. They’re toddler dolls but the girls have a v and the boys a p. I always tell my kids they need to keep their undies on at all times. Just like they keep their own privates private.

watergirl

Post Thu, Nov 24 2022, 9:08 am
amother Midnight wrote:
I'm not a fan of barbie for her hypers3xualization but my girls love to play with Polly pockets. Similar idea but just a kid body without b00bs. They have tons of shoes, set ups, outfits, accessories etc.

There is so much hypersxuslization of girls within our own community already. I really don’t believe Barbie dolls do any more damage than the message sent on the daily, that a seven year old, a tznius mother, a tznius and holy rebbitzen, etc. is too appealing of an image, that her picture can’t appear in print. The messages sent in some of our own communities are doing the hypersxualization already.

amother
Offwhite

Post Thu, Nov 24 2022, 9:17 am
I had barbies as a kid and I DID get an eating disorder, but here's the thing:

I had barbies since I was about 5 or 6. I was never tempted to diet until I was 13 and already NOT playing with barbies.

I can tell you with 100% certainty what triggered my ED, and it was a real life girl in my 7th grade class.

I idolized this girl. She was blond and very skinny, and I had brown hair and was normal/skinnyish. I spent a little time wishing I was skinny like her, just like I wished my hair was blond like hers, but I didn't think much of it because I thought "she's just lucky, that's the way she is and this is the way I am" until one day when I heard someone whisper that she was anorexic. Then suddenly instead of being a natural trait of hers that I just didn't have, it was a behavior that she did that I could emulate. So I did. And that's 100% why I got an ED. By the way, in retrospect, I don't think this girl was anorexic and I am like 90% sure she was just naturally skinny.

Chayalle

Post Thu, Nov 24 2022, 10:03 am
I had tons of barbies and clothes and accessories as a child and I never thought into her body shape, her blonde hair, or any other aspect beyond the fun of dressing her up. My favorite was the Barbie wedding gown and I looked forward to being a Kallah one day myself. We also set up stores with tons of clothes, hangers, etc...and shoes, who can forget all those shoes.....and had such hours of fun.

At some point when I had pretty much outgrown Barbie, my mother (probably influenced by a friend) decided to get rid of all the Barbie stuff. Which was fine, they had been well-played with, and my younger sisters got new dolls and toys.

I never got my girls Barbies, because they seem to be hashkafically taboo in yeshivish circles, but when I think of it honestly, I don't see that as a child they affected me negatively. So I'm on the fence, and I do think we sometimes overthink things.

Highstrung

Post Thu, Nov 24 2022, 10:13 am
I had Barbies. I never thought twice about the dolls not being tznius , other than when they were undressed. All of mine had tznius clothing and I didn’t only have blond ones. I had a red headed one and even an Indian one with a sari and the red dot on her forehead. I loved the fact that there were so many accessories and clothes to dress them with.
Nowadays there are more options of cute 18” doll clothes and accessories. So I think I’ll have my daughter stick to that type of doll. I find them to be more real like.

amother
Jade

Post Thu, Nov 24 2022, 10:19 am
My kids love Barbie’s and can play with them for hours. I don’t let LOL dolls though. That’s pushing it for me.

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Thu, Nov 24 2022, 10:26 am
I grew up with barbie and loved it never had issues bh but I would never get it for my kids theres much more appropriate options these days

Rappel

Post Thu, Nov 24 2022, 10:27 am
juggling wrote:
Barbies are absolutely a thing in Israel. Take a walk through Pirat Haadom. There are plenty of them.

Everything is in the Red Pirate! Very Happy

I was judging by the toys I see in everyone's houses. Playmobil (and all the tiny pieces! Can't Believe It ) are everywhere. But I've not seen Barbies going around. Guess somebody must be buying them if they sell them

shaqued_almond

Post Thu, Nov 24 2022, 10:58 am
I've had Barbies as a little girl and I loved them. They were pretty and had pretty clothes. We usually made up stories about them and we didn't even have a Ken. sometimes barbie married my teddy bear lol. Lol dollz, Bratz and monster high dolls look much more sexualized to me.

honey36

Post Thu, Nov 24 2022, 10:59 am
My mom never allowed Barbie's for us growing up and I never bought for my girls. The reason I don't like them is not because I'm nervous my girls will have body image issues, I just don't think their an appropriate toy to bring into our home.

My in-laws have a few Barbie's and my girls play with them there. I remember one time we were sitting at the Shabbos table, kids were playing, and DD brought a naked barbie to the table with an outfit so I could help her put it on. DH was sitting next to me, and he's like, what is this?
So yeah, I don't feel comfortable having a naked Barbie at the Shabbos table...

We have plenty of the American girl type dolls who are never rlly "naked" and don't have a woman figure. The girls have tunz of outfits and accessories for them so that takes care of that.

icebreaker

Post Thu, Nov 24 2022, 11:08 am
My girls had Barbie’s when they were younger. They loooover Barbie.

What are lol dolls? Are they similar to Bratz dolls?

amother
Dandelion

Post Thu, Nov 24 2022, 12:19 pm
amother Firethorn wrote:
I dunno, I loved barbies as a little girl. I had a few different sets and lots of accessories, and I could spend hours playing with them. I don't think I ever noticed or paid attention to their body shape and size. They were just fun dolls to play with. I certainly didn't get any "message" from them that I need to be super skinny or anything like that.
I remember the first time I read a thread on imamother about how barbies are bad. I was honestly shocked. Maybe I'm just naive, but I don't see anything wrong with it.

This was me too!

amother
NeonPurple

Post Thu, Nov 24 2022, 12:21 pm
amother Canary wrote:
SAME!! body size was not something I knew to even think of. I just wanted to dress them up and play! I've gotten much worse messages through social media, billboards, magazines, storefronts, the street, literally anywhere you turn. I don't think we can just point fingers at barbie dolls. I don't think kids that age would even notice UNLESS you make a big deal out of it.

Absolutley agree with this settiment. I have had anorexia since I was a pre-teen and barbie is the last person to blame. I won't say no one ever developed an ed because of barbie but there are so many greater things that contribute to eds then innanimate dolls. I think media messages girls will pay attention to when they are older for sure. But not so young when they are playing dress up with dolls. For what its worth my ed would hate if I looked like barbie. She is not my ideal image for my warped perception of myself at all. Tush too big, I hate big boobs, I would never dye my hair blond and bleach and damadge it even more. Its bad enough that my hair is not healthy and thin already from my ed. I never wanted to be barbie and barbie did not cause my anorexia.

amother
Pewter

Post Thu, Nov 24 2022, 1:19 pm
No no no I do allow the kids version (Chelsea)
My kids have American girl dolls bitty babies etc they are not deprived lol

amother
Blush

Post Thu, Nov 24 2022, 1:30 pm
No barbies

4g01o

Post Thu, Nov 24 2022, 2:21 pm
iammom wrote:
I agree. I do not have any body image issues from playing with barbies. We spent hours in an imaginative play world with the barbies (I’m sure my mother was happy that I was kept busy).

This.
No bad body expectations. In fact I just wasn't into all the fashion stuff etc but I absolutely loved dolls of any kind.
I played with dolls until I was older (with a good friend) I remember our parents were a bit concerned! We're both more than fine today bH 😅

amother
Peachpuff

Post Thu, Nov 24 2022, 2:50 pm
I had Barbie and Kelly dolls growing up.
My DD is 3 so she doesnt really know about it but I dont know if I will allow it or not.

amother
Fern

Post Thu, Nov 24 2022, 2:55 pm
my kids picked out an imitation barbie from the dollar tree, and I let them get it. Toddler boy and girl, my husband was horrified by it and I guess after discussing it with him I did agree. firstly, why would my toddler son need to be touching boobs at all when they can play with regular dolls or stuffed dolls. And also, yes, it makes no sense to imprint that image into my 5 year old daughters brain of how girls look. I through it out at night when they didnt see.

amother
Anemone

Post Thu, Nov 24 2022, 10:31 pm
Can someone please educate me?? What's wrong with a lol doll?
Page 3 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics