Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Giving Gifts
Teachers Gift
  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next

what would be a real substantial Chanukah gift for a teacher looking to give a lot but don't want to be inappropriate
 62%  [ 45 ]
 16%  [ 12 ]
 11%  [ 8 ]
 2%  [ 2 ]
 6%  [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 72

amother
OP

Post Thu, Nov 24 2022, 1:17 pm
With all the noise going on in how tight teachers are Financially and Chanukah coming up looking to give teachers a real extra ordinary gift for a lot of Money any ideas (heard from somebody that we can use Maaser money so might as well give our money to a place where our children's teachers can benefit I assume it will auto trickle down to be for the classes benefit that teacher not so struggling ...)

Any ideas for a real knock out gift?

amother
Apricot

Post Thu, Nov 24 2022, 1:20 pm
I don't understand your question. If they're struggling financially, then they need money. So give as large of a check as you can afford. If your minimum is 250 then you will already be surpassing what most people give, and the teacher will most likely be very surprised.

amother
DarkGray

Post Thu, Nov 24 2022, 1:21 pm
Why cant you just give an envelope with a cheque or cash and nice card?

I guarantee you that your "knock out gift" will make them want the money instead...

amother
OP

Post Thu, Nov 24 2022, 1:22 pm
amother Apricot wrote:
I don't understand your question. If they're struggling financially, then they need money. So give as large of a check as you can afford. If your minimum is 250 then you will already be surpassing what most people give, and the teacher will most likely be very surprised.

what is the most that we can give that is not considered inappropriate and can it come in the form of cash or better in a present form?

amother
DarkGray

Post Thu, Nov 24 2022, 1:23 pm
amother OP wrote:
what is the most that we can give that is not considered inappropriate and can it come in the form of cash or better in a present form?

a present is not "better" just give the cash. I dont understand these threads.
give the most you can give why are you asking us?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Nov 24 2022, 1:27 pm
amother DarkGray wrote:

very simple what I am asking especially if I give cash don't want to be considered inappropriate (if I would give 100000 that would be considered inappropriate especially in the form of cash) so wondering what is the max number in cash that is considered appropriate

and if anyone has any ideas for a present that maybe I would be able to give something worth much more that would still be considered appropriate

amother
Apricot

Post Thu, Nov 24 2022, 1:28 pm
amother OP wrote:

Just give cash. That's what the teacher probably want, more than an expensive item. She can't pay bills with an item.
I don't think there is an arbitrary amount that is considered "inappropriate."

amother
DarkGray

Post Thu, Nov 24 2022, 1:29 pm
amother OP wrote:
very simple what I am asking especially if I give cash don't want to be considered inappropriate (if I would give 100000 that would be considered inappropriate especially in the form of cash) so wondering what is the max number in cash that is considered appropriate

and if anyone has any ideas for a present that maybe I would be able to give something worth much more that would still be considered appropriate

is this a theoretical question or you actually have 10000 to give in cash lol?
Im speaking as a teacher. I really dont need a gift. Money is always tight. Cash is always appreciated. Give as much as you can and dont worry about what is considered inappropriate...

amother
OP

Post Thu, Nov 24 2022, 1:31 pm
amother DarkGray wrote:
is this a theoretical question or you actually have 10000 to give in cash lol?
Im speaking as a teacher. I really dont need a gift. Money is always tight. Cash is always appreciated. Give as much as you can and dont worry about what is considered inappropriate...

thanks for the reply as a teacher can you please give me insight how high I can go that I won't be considered weird or flaunting

amother
Antiquewhite

Post Thu, Nov 24 2022, 1:31 pm
amother OP wrote:
With all the noise going on in how tight teachers are Financially and Chanukah coming up looking to give teachers a real extra ordinary gift for a lot of Money any ideas (heard from somebody that we can use Maaser money so might as well give our money to a place where our children's teachers can benefit I assume it will auto trickle down to be for the classes benefit that teacher not so struggling ...)

Any ideas for a real knock out gift?

Kol hakavod to you for being willing to be generous with someone who needs it.
I think $500 is great if you can afford and if you can afford more, do the same for Purim.

amother
Antiquewhite

Post Thu, Nov 24 2022, 1:32 pm
amother OP wrote:
thanks for the reply as a teacher can you please give me insight how high I can go that I won't be considered weird or flaunting

As high as you can and like. Don’t worry about flaunting, it’s just showing your deep gratitude which is a beautiful thing

amother
OP

Post Thu, Nov 24 2022, 1:33 pm
amother Antiquewhite wrote:
Kol hakavod to you for being willing to be generous with someone who needs it.
I think $500 is great if you can afford and if you can afford more, do the same for Purim.

we know what we can do know and hopefully with Hashems help we can do Purim again...
(are you saying $500 max or you are just telling me to split throughout the year)

amother
Antiquewhite

Post Thu, Nov 24 2022, 1:33 pm
amother OP wrote:

Please don’t buy anything, there’s always the likelihood they won’t need what you get.
Cash is always safest and universally appreciated

amother
DarkGray

Post Thu, Nov 24 2022, 1:34 pm
amother OP wrote:

I would give as much as you feel comfortable with a heartfelt card.
Really, every dollar is so appreciated. Maybe the morah is saving up for a new sheital or makeup or clothing and could really use the extra money to pamper herself.... its a beautiful way to give to someone

amother
Antiquewhite

Post Thu, Nov 24 2022, 1:35 pm
amother OP wrote:
we know what we can do know and hopefully with Hashems help we can do Purim again...
(are you saying $500 max or you are just telling me to split throughout the year)

No, that doesn’t have to be max, I just wasn’t sure how much you can comfortably afford or are willing to give. If you can give more, that’s great!

amother
OP

Post Thu, Nov 24 2022, 1:36 pm
amother DarkGray wrote:
I would give as much as you feel comfortable with a heartfelt card.
Really, every dollar is so appreciated. Maybe the morah is saving up for a new sheital or makeup or clothing and could really use the extra money to pamper herself.... its a beautiful way to give to someone

Please be honest as we spoke to our Rov and he was telling us that it should be on top of our Tzedakah list are you saying even 25000 don't want to flaunt or be inappropriate but want to give the most possible

amother
Antiquewhite

Post Thu, Nov 24 2022, 1:36 pm
amother DarkGray wrote:

Why are you getting testy?

amother
Valerian

Post Thu, Nov 24 2022, 1:39 pm
Op I get your question, but honestly since most of us are not in your position I don't think you'll get helpful responses.

Can you give a large sum through the school as a bonus without the teacher knowing it's from you? Or maybe a large supermarket credit. You are obviously looking to help beyond a typical chanukah gift. We do this through our shul for some community members, not teachers though.

Optione

Post Thu, Nov 24 2022, 1:39 pm
I misunderstood your initial OP. I voted $500 but let me clarify: I think $500 is a very substantial gift. If you'd like to give more than that, I'd give up to $1,000 in cash. I'd still give more than that if I wanted, but I would give it as a bank check.
Signed, a teacher

amother
OP

Post Thu, Nov 24 2022, 1:40 pm
amother Valerian wrote:
Op I get your question, but honestly since most of us are not in your position I don't think you'll get helpful responses.

Can you give a large sum through the school as a bonus without the teacher knowing it's from you? Or maybe a large supermarket credit. You are obviously looking to help beyond a typical chanukah gift. We do this through our shul for some community members, not teachers though.

contacted the School as that would have made the most sense but they want it done only universal to all the teachers not just to our kids teachers which waters down what we can do
Page 1 of 7   1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next Recent Topics