Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries
Neighborhoods in Brooklyn
Previous  1  2  3  4

amother
Tealblue

Post Sun, Nov 20 2022, 10:36 pm
My family lives in Brooklyn and we are here to stay. I have spent Shabbosim with friends and relatives in many other places, but I don't want to move there. Lakewood or Monsey would never work for us. I hate highways, cookie cutter houses and the whole surburbia look and feel. I have zero interest in a large lawn or a pool, but I need my concerts and museums close by. I am a city girl to the nth degree Smile

It's understandable that some people are moving out. I am happy for them and happy for me. It's a win-win, since there is less traffic, school enrollment is easier and there is less social pressure, as the community is now smaller and more diverse.

Anyone is free to live anywhere in this beautiful country or (even better) to make aliyah. But one needs a serious cheshbon before making a choice, especially when buying. Salaries, job opportunities, real estate taxes, school placement, climate, transportation, doctors and hospitals, special education, child or elder care (if needed) - all these are huge factors. I assume that the OP has thought this through. She is asking where, not if, after all.

amother
Melon

Post Sun, Nov 20 2022, 10:56 pm
We bought a house with a private driveway in the early 30’s under 800k, private driveway, shuls on every corner, pizza, bakery, 2 heimishe groceries, Mikva, target, pharmacy all within walking distance. Shabbosim are beautiful as it’s shpritzing with heimishe people walking. I go to Jackson (flair) to in laws, shul is packed to the gills, zero options without a car, if the shul is shleppy tough luck, no normal place to make a bar mitzva kiddush hall for shabbos and at the end of the day over 40-50 percent of the people still have some sheichos to Brooklyn where they have to make the 1.5 hour trip each way a few times a a month.

amother
Coral

Post Sun, Nov 20 2022, 11:01 pm
I live in Brooklyn but in Crown Heights so it's a different situation there and I have no interest in moving to Lakewood but I must add that every time I see a thread about issues with Lakewood kids getting bussing and spending your whole day driving carpools and the earliest mikvah appointment being midnight, I send up a silent thanks to Hashem that with all our problems, at least those aren't it.
Nowhere is perfect, you just have to choose which problems you want to live with

naturalmom5

Post Thu, Nov 24 2022, 12:59 pm
I lived in Brooklyn more than 30 years before marriage
I was the quintessential Brooklyn girl. If you remember Welcome Back Kotter, that was my high school.
But alas, my mother passed away in 2010, and I have nothing to go there for
Let’s face it, Giuliani spent years rebuilding the city and making it a wonderful place; only so that Deblazio could destroy everything in days.
I davern that we all go to Yerushalayim soon and Brooklyn Lakewood Monsey, Poland are just a bad memory

amother
Firebrick

Post Thu, Nov 24 2022, 1:13 pm
amother Tealblue wrote:
My family lives in Brooklyn and we are here to stay. I have spent Shabbosim with friends and relatives in many other places, but I don't want to move there. Lakewood or Monsey would never work for us. I hate highways, cookie cutter houses and the whole surburbia look and feel. I have zero interest in a large lawn or a pool, but I need my concerts and museums close by. I am a city girl to the nth degree Smile

It's understandable that some people are moving out. I am happy for them and happy for me. It's a win-win, since there is less traffic, school enrollment is easier and there is less social pressure, as the community is now smaller and more diverse.

Anyone is free to live anywhere in this beautiful country or (even better) to make aliyah. But one needs a serious cheshbon before making a choice, especially when buying. Salaries, job opportunities, real estate taxes, school placement, climate, transportation, doctors and hospitals, special education, child or elder care (if needed) - all these are huge factors. I assume that the OP has thought this through. She is asking where, not if, after all.

You think Brooklyn doesn’t have cookie cutter houses? LOL

amother
Firebrick

Post Thu, Nov 24 2022, 1:16 pm
amother Melon wrote:
We bought a house with a private driveway in the early 30’s under 800k, private driveway, shuls on every corner, pizza, bakery, 2 heimishe groceries, Mikva, target, pharmacy all within walking distance. Shabbosim are beautiful as it’s shpritzing with heimishe people walking. I go to Jackson (flair) to in laws, shul is packed to the gills, zero options without a car, if the shul is shleppy tough luck, no normal place to make a bar mitzva kiddush hall for shabbos and at the end of the day over 40-50 percent of the people still have some sheichos to Brooklyn where they have to make the 1.5 hour trip each way a few times a a month.

And we in Lkwd/Jackson/TR have huge newer houses with big lawns and yards, swimming pool, no 15 mph driving, NO living on top of each other, NO being anonymous because there are so many people, tons of the same stores you described, beautiful scenery and trees instead of the filthy, crowded Brooklyn streets, fresh air, space to move around, many more rooms and bathrooms for half the price.

amother
Firebrick

Post Thu, Nov 24 2022, 1:17 pm
naturalmom5 wrote:
I lived in Brooklyn more than 30 years before marriage
I was the quintessential Brooklyn girl. If you remember Welcome Back Kotter, that was my high school.
But alas, my mother passed away in 2010, and I have nothing to go there for
Let’s face it, Giuliani spent years rebuilding the city and making it a wonderful place; only so that Deblazio could destroy everything in days.
I davern that we all go to Yerushalayim soon and Brooklyn Lakewood Monsey, Poland are just a bad memory

They don’t need to be a BAD memory

amother
Tealblue

Post Thu, Nov 24 2022, 1:19 pm
amother Firebrick wrote:
You think Brooklyn doesn’t have cookie cutter houses? LOL

It sure does. Brooklyn is home to some ugliest houses on earth. I still love it here. Love is strange Smile

amother
Oldlace

Post Thu, Nov 24 2022, 1:25 pm
amother Firebrick wrote:
And we in Lkwd/Jackson/TR have huge newer houses with big lawns and yards, swimming pool, no 15 mph driving, NO living on top of each other, NO being anonymous because there are so many people, tons of the same stores you described, beautiful scenery and trees instead of the filthy, crowded Brooklyn streets, fresh air, space to move around, many more rooms and bathrooms for half the price.

You seriously sound like you are in middle school, bragging about how you are so much better.
Good for you that you like it in NJ.
There are many, many cons to living there (I don't have time now, but I could post a whole list), and for many of us the cons of NJ outweigh the pros. A nice, big house is not the be all and end all, and it's not the only factor that's taken into consideration when deciding where to live.
Anyway, the Lkwd people hate when the Bklyn people move there. So you should be happy that we are staying put.

amother
Tealblue

Post Thu, Nov 24 2022, 1:59 pm
amother Firebrick wrote:

I think it's great that we both have options and chose what we like and what works for our families. I prefer Brooklyn, you prefer Lakewood. So? We are both BH speaking from a place of privilege. Thousands of frum families cannot afford suitable housing and/or cannot find the right yeshiva (or any yeshiva) for their kids. Their options are limited because of finances, family issues, special ed, overcrowded schools - the list is long Crying I daven that they find their makom, each according to what's best for them!

matner

Post Thu, Nov 24 2022, 2:04 pm
Georgetown in brooklyn has a few chaim berlin families and is cheap. But it is a bit of a schlep from everything

amother
RosePink

Post Thu, Nov 24 2022, 2:32 pm
amother Firebrick wrote:

Are u joking?? No traffic,?? Seriously?
Good luck getting a mikvah appointment before midnight and your kids into school LOL LOL

naturalmom5

Post Thu, Nov 24 2022, 2:43 pm
amother Firebrick wrote:
They don’t need to be a BAD memory

Chazal say otherwise,

When mashiach comes, our happiest minute in Golus will pale in comparison to life b yamos hamashiach

nicole81

Post Thu, Nov 24 2022, 2:55 pm
matner wrote:
Georgetown in brooklyn has a few chaim berlin families and is cheap. But it is a bit of a schlep from everything

It's a 7 min car ride from Nostrand and j-m. Not bad for a more suburban type of atmosphere, private parking, and bigger yards.

Fyi OP the blocks in Georgetown are included in the ones I recommended for the mill basin area. It's pretty much one community.
Page 4 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries