Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Best toy for six month old girl?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Nov 24 2022, 4:01 pm
I have stacking blocks and a teether and a rattle and a playmat with arch. What else is worthwhile? What do your babies play with 6-12 months?

amother
NeonOrange

Post Thu, Nov 24 2022, 4:02 pm
Seriously the thing kids this age like the best is plastic cups and empty bottles...

amother
OP

Post Thu, Nov 24 2022, 4:19 pm
I have a decent credit at a baby store, so thinking what’s worth it…

amother
Moccasin

Post Thu, Nov 24 2022, 4:23 pm
My first three babies didn’t play with any toys. My fourth plays with everything.
Odds are if your baby likes those toys it’s enough for now. If she doesn’t then she probably isn’t going to like other toys just yet.

My 6 month old likes: stuffed animals , crinkle books, rattles . Doesn’t like music Toys with batteries type

wifeandmore

Post Thu, Nov 24 2022, 4:34 pm
Mothering mindset posted a guide on her Instagram for like $9 which goes by baby cues. Looks great

amother
Cyan

Post Thu, Nov 24 2022, 4:40 pm
Crinkle books. Rattles. Stuffed animals and pacifier clips and tags are my daughters current favorite toys.

scruffy

Post Thu, Nov 24 2022, 5:30 pm
This is a favorite around here.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod.....ss_tl

amother
Pistachio

Post Thu, Nov 24 2022, 5:45 pm
Think of the coming stages of crawling & taking steps- baby walker, stand up play table, small indoor riding toy etc.

Do you have a bucket of some building toy? Bristle blocks is good to throw around, or any bucket of stuff really.

mushkamothers

Post Thu, Nov 24 2022, 5:51 pm
wifeandmore wrote:
Mothering mindset posted a guide on her Instagram for like $9 which goes by baby cues. Looks great

Haha thanks for sharing bc I was like... okay you need my toy guide but I don't want to self promo LOL
I've wasted way more than $9 on toys that didn't meet the current interest or developmental level of my babies which is why I made that guide according to that and not just ages.

Those toys will not stimulate a growing 6m old for long. It depends which teether or rattle exactly because different ones are designed differently.
In general you want toys that encourage movement (so the gym won't last very long anyways) and you also want to encourage different kinds of grasping which also helps build core strength for crawling. For example a toy that baby holds with both hands or passes from hand to hand while on their tummy.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Thu, Nov 24 2022, 6:08 pm
Activity tables can be used on their side for a baby on the floor, upright for a baby pulling self up...

But are you sure it's worth it to spend a significant credit on toys vs gear (like a high chair or a travel stroller or convertible car seat etc)?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Nov 24 2022, 8:40 pm
mushkamothers wrote:
Haha thanks for sharing bc I was like... okay you need my toy guide but I don't want to self promo LOL
I've wasted way more than $9 on toys that didn't meet the current interest or developmental level of my babies which is why I made that guide according to that and not just ages.

Those toys will not stimulate a growing 6m old for long. It depends which teether or rattle exactly because different ones are designed differently.
In general you want toys that encourage movement (so the gym won't last very long anyways) and you also want to encourage different kinds of grasping which also helps build core strength for crawling. For example a toy that baby holds with both hands or passes from hand to hand while on their tummy.

Where is the guide? I can’t fInd it.

lucky14

Post Sun, Nov 27 2022, 12:31 am
Save the credit for when she is a bit older. They don’t usually play with many toys at this age and when they do they get bored of them quickly. Get her a ball for now (wouldn’t buy that at a specialty toy store though) but save the $ to use for later.

Iymnok

Post Sun, Nov 27 2022, 2:21 am
A plastic cup or spoon.
Babies only need a couple toys. Have something to clip to your stroller for when you’re out and she’s fussy.
Other than that, get a building toy like magnatiles, cliks, Lego, and give her one piece to play with.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics