Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise
Can some people not lose weight no matter how hard they try?
1  2  3  4  Next

amother
OP

Post Wed, Nov 23 2022, 11:08 pm
Is there such a thing? I've tried low carb-no sugar except fruit, no gluten except Challah- low calorie, nothing doing. In half a year I lost 1 lb. All labs came back normal. I tried this last year also and couldn't lose weight. What is going on?

amother
Arcticblue

Post Thu, Nov 24 2022, 12:22 am
I'm never successful. At least not beyond the first couple weeks of any new diet. I know that I have a few things working against me - I don't sleep well and I'm very stressed out and my hormones are all over the place. Those things can definitely block weight loss no matter how good you are on a diet and how much you exercise.

amother
Iris

Post Thu, Nov 24 2022, 2:11 pm
Hashem created everyone differently. Some people are meant to be bigger. It’s not the weight that defines if you’re healthy or not. It’s whether you’re active, eating healthy foods, and your body is functioning the way it should. If labs look good, keep eating healthy and doing exercise and don’t worry about the number. There are skinny ppl who have multiple health issues too. skinny does not equal healthy.

amother
Hawthorn

Post Thu, Nov 24 2022, 5:17 pm
Yes 100 percent!!
My doctor told me that if I’m eating right after all the millions of diets I’ve been on and I’m still fat- than I’m healthy and I will just be fat cuz that’s how my DNA is programmed.
But I wasn’t happy with that and I did the sleeve and Bh I finally feel good abt myself!

amother
Orchid

Post Thu, Nov 24 2022, 5:29 pm
amother Hawthorn wrote:
Yes 100 percent!!
My doctor told me that if I’m eating right after all the millions of diets I’ve been on and I’m still fat- than I’m healthy and I will just be fat cuz that’s how my DNA is programmed.
But I wasn’t happy with that and I did the sleeve and Bh I finally feel good abt myself!
oh wow! I did the sleeve 3 weeks ago. How far out are you? How much did you manage to lose?

amother
Lotus

Post Thu, Nov 24 2022, 5:32 pm
I was just talking to my friend who was very successful in IF I’m conjunction with low carb diet.
Think she lost about 100 pounds.

Also what about those injections that so many people are trying? Ozempine
Another friend of mine lost 30 pounds since the summer.

amother
Ultramarine

Post Thu, Nov 24 2022, 5:39 pm
Yes. The notion that people can change their bodies to whatever extent they want is a myth. Bodies can only be changed with diet and exercise a certain amount. Normal for your body = your weight when you’re eating relatively normal and doing a moderate amount of exercise. That’s your normal.

amother
Hotpink

Post Thu, Nov 24 2022, 5:46 pm
Did you try keto? Only asking because you said low carb but yes fruit. For some people they need to be in ketosis to actually start burning far.

I think some people just have the odds stacked against them, but I don't believe "their DNA is programmed that way". Indigenous societies have zero cases of obesity and just 50-100 years ago even western countries most people were slim. Genes don't change that quickly. Its something in our environment and the way were eating plus genetic predisposition of course. This isn't meant to point fingers, I am overweight myself. I just think being accurate and scientific will eventually be helpful in discovering how to help ourselves. Fwiw, labs coming back normal doesn't mean much. Standard labs barely scratch the surface of what's going on in our bodies.

amother
DarkRed

Post Thu, Nov 24 2022, 5:50 pm
[quote="amother Lotus"]I was just talking to my friend who was very successful in IF I’m conjunction with low carb diet.

what is IF?

rainbow dash

Post Thu, Nov 24 2022, 5:56 pm
[quote="amother DarkRed"]
amother Lotus wrote:
I was just talking to my friend who was very successful in IF I’m conjunction with low carb diet.

what is IF?

Intermittent fasting

rainbow dash

Post Thu, Nov 24 2022, 5:57 pm
amother Lotus wrote:

This week's family first talks about the shots

rainbow dash

Post Thu, Nov 24 2022, 5:58 pm
amother OP wrote:
Is there such a thing? I've tried low carb-no sugar except fruit, no gluten except Challah- low calorie, nothing doing. In half a year I lost 1 lb. All labs came back normal. I tried this last year also and couldn't lose weight. What is going on?

In this week's ami is an article about that

amother
Clear

Post Thu, Nov 24 2022, 6:06 pm
amother Lotus wrote:

“Success” stories are not the point of this thread. Also, most people who lose lots of weight quickly don’t keep it off years down the line.

amother
Viola

Post Thu, Nov 24 2022, 6:23 pm
amother OP wrote:

No there’s no such thing. There’s something you’re doing wrong. My dr said to me, in the Holocaust not one person stayed heavy. If you don’t take in more calories than necessary you lose weight.

Are you drinking at least 8 oz of water every day? Eating healthy fats? What are you eating in a day? If you eat too little your body stores up fat because it goes into starvation mode.

I tried every diet and would lose some and then gain again, until I did high protein, low carb. I did no fruit (that turns to sugar just like candy does). Veggies, lots of healthy fats (avocados, olive oil, coconut oil), any proteins I want… lost over 70 lbs.— best diet ever, no hunger.

wifeandmore

Post Thu, Nov 24 2022, 6:25 pm
amother Viola wrote:
No there’s no such thing. There’s something you’re doing wrong. My dr said to me, in the Holocaust not one person stayed heavy. If you don’t take in more calories than necessary you lose weight.

Are you drinking at least 8 oz of water every day? Eating healthy fats? What are you eating in a day? If you eat too little your body stores up fat because it goes into starvation mode.

I tried every diet and would lose some and then gain again, until I did high protein, low carb. I did no fruit (that turns to sugar just like candy does). Veggies, lots of healthy fats (avocados, olive oil, coconut oil), any proteins I want… lost over 70 lbs.— best diet ever, no hunger.

What a horrible thing for your doctor to say.
Ok, I think op meant "other than starving yourself to death" which yes, may work.

amother
Honeydew

Post Thu, Nov 24 2022, 6:35 pm
23andme showed that I am genetically predisposed to weigh about 6% less than average, and I am underweight.

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Thu, Nov 24 2022, 6:35 pm
Firstly hatzlacha on your weight loss journey

What I found worked for me was to write down everything I ate.
At some point years ago, I did weight watchers, and the group leader said a point that I don't think I can ever forget
Don't forget your BLT's
write down every bite, lick, and taste. Those add up to more calories than we can imagine.

So any diet you try, it is important to track and see your true total calorie intake.
Also, a good idea to invest in a kitchen scale, I don't trust my eye to know how much I am eating.

iyar

Post Thu, Nov 24 2022, 6:37 pm
amother Viola wrote:

Your doctor doesn't sound brilliant.

Does he know how many people during the holocaust managed not just to "not stay heavy", but also to die? And I'm not talking about those sent to the gas chambers or shot and buried in mass graves. I'm talking about people who died in concentrations camps due to disease and starvation.

If you don't take in more calories than necessary you lose weight- unless your body thinks you're starving (for real, not the feeling you have when you have to have that chocolate chip cookie fresh from the oven because it smells so good). In that case it readjusts your metabolism to function on the least amount of calories possible. That's the beauty of how Hashem created our bodies. It's the reason not everybody died in the camps even though their caloric intake was severely restricted. It's also one interesting aspect of our weight loss journeys.

amother
Clear

Post Thu, Nov 24 2022, 6:39 pm
amother Viola wrote:

The bolded is just horrible, blaming every overweight person. I hate this site sometimes.

I drink way more than 8oz of water a day but will never go low carb as a vegetarian. Personally I love being curvy anyway. As many people have pointed out, being skinny doesn’t always equate to being healthier.

amother
Firebrick

Post Thu, Nov 24 2022, 6:41 pm
Your body needs calories to burn calories.
It very well could be that you have been depriving your body of necessary nutrition therefore it went into survival mode and stored all food as fat.
My first step would be a nutritionist to discuss proper calories and how to count them.
I was most successful in losing weight when I was EATING
Page 1 of 4 1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise